Author Topic: Rooting Cuttings  (Read 209 times)

Offline amoorebr

• Welcome !!
Rooting Cuttings
« on: August 30, 2021, 06:32:20 PM »
New to the forum and to fig collecting. Thanks for any help provided. When viewing cuttings being rooted online they all have large white roots being produced. My cuttings start out with small brown roots and take quite a while before I begin to see the larger white roots. Example LSUP rooted small fine brown roots initially, budded out, foliage died and then started producing larger white roots. To much moisture?
Growing: Smith, LSU red,gold,purple,champagne Black Madiera, Black Madiera KK, Brown Turkey, Celeste

Offline opiem10

Re: Rooting Cuttings
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 08:34:34 PM »
Hi Amoorebr,

I have found that some varieties put out large, white roots while other varieties put out finer roots when trying to root cuttings.   It is unusual to have the foliage die and then have a cutting grow successfully.   Usually, if the leaves die, the cutting dies.

The roots you see might also be different based on the rooting method you use.  I get larger roots when using wood mulch as my media and finer roots when using a good potting soil in fig pop bags.

The important thing is that you got cuttings to root and to grow.
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline amoorebr

• Welcome !!
Re: Rooting Cuttings
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 09:22:33 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply
Growing: Smith, LSU red,gold,purple,champagne Black Madiera, Black Madiera KK, Brown Turkey, Celeste