Author Topic: 2023 GA Fig A Rama  (Read 121 times)

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
2023 GA Fig A Rama
« on: January 19, 2023, 05:37:39 PM »
Thought I would pass along that there would be a Fig A Rama this year.  Milton said he would host again. Typically it's held the last Saturday in July in Watkinsville.  If you are interested, pencil in that date on your calendar and consider which trees you would like to bring to swap or give away. There are some videos on youtube regarding this event if you are interested in attending.  It's very casual, lots of time for mingling, a fig orchard tour and there is a potluck lunch before the swapping begins.  Selling plants is not allowed.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 04:54:28 PM by Rudy »
WL: varieties must have closed eye, LSU Strawberry, Azores Dark,Black Bethlehem,BB-10,Black Tuscan,Dark Portuguese,Greek White,Hunt,White Adriatic,Cavaliere,CLBC, Grosse Monstrueuse,Nerucciolo de Elba,Pastilliere,Rockaway Green,Socorro Black,TX Peach,Vista,White Madera #1,Zingerella

Offline Andrea

• Old Gardener, New to Figs
  • Northwest Arkansas Fig Lover
Re: 2023 GA Fig A Rama
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 10:02:23 AM »
Oh! I will have sweet (figgy) dreams about your Fig A Rama.  Wish there was an easy way to close the gap on the 800 miles between us.  I might have to get serious about planning my own get-together this year when figs are in full production...if they come back from the dead this spring.  None of my in-ground figs have any green cambium on any part of the trunk(s) or branches when scratched.  Guess I'll find out which ones are truly cold hardy.
Wish List: The best tasting, cold-hardy, highly productive, non-wasp variety - whether I can pronounce it or not - and another 5 acres to plant figs on.

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 03:31:42 PM »
Andrea, many folks, including myself, are waiting to see how much damage has been done to their trees from that crazy cold spell which lasted 4 days.  I am afraid to unwrap my trees just to see how they fared this far.
WL: varieties must have closed eye, LSU Strawberry, Azores Dark,Black Bethlehem,BB-10,Black Tuscan,Dark Portuguese,Greek White,Hunt,White Adriatic,Cavaliere,CLBC, Grosse Monstrueuse,Nerucciolo de Elba,Pastilliere,Rockaway Green,Socorro Black,TX Peach,Vista,White Madera #1,Zingerella

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 04:38:04 PM »
Rudy because you wrapped your trees, they should well. For those of us who did not wrap our trees we have seen the result already.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, St. Rita, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 04:49:17 PM »
AtlantaFig, I didn't really wrap my figs like most people do.  Just covered them with a tarp and put them on the back patio which was protected on 2 sides from the wind.   I am worried just like everybody else. To look at the condition of my trees, I would have to untie the rope which keeps the tarp in place which I don't want to do. The end of March cannot come soon enough.

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 10:29:29 PM »
Exciting news, Denise.  If you decide on using the electronic spreadsheet to collect information on participants let me know and Iíll be happy to create one. I know you said youíre not tech savvy. I can then email the results in one page. I hope to be able to make it this year.
Wish List: Tashkent; Imp. Celeste; Nixon Peace; I-258, Texas Peach, LSU O'Rourke, Thibodeaux, Scott's Yellow; heirloom varieties- Ocracoke Is, unknowns; Other: World's Best Mulberry

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 06:13:36 AM »
tridrama,  a spreadsheet would be great to have if I could incorporate the information directly from the 2-3 fig FB groups and 2 fig forums. lol  Last year I was going to each website and manually updating the information as soon as I saw it.  There has to be an easier way.  I am thinking a FB page or website for the event would be the way to go,  but way over my head.  Unfortunately, a lot of people don't like FB either.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 07:38:58 AM by Rudy »

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 04:40:35 PM »
If we create a google form and add the link to each of your announcements in the groups, people could click on the link, complete the form and it populates to a one spread sheet that you could view online or print. Whenever you are ready, just message me. I'll send you my phone number so we can talk. Then I'll set it up for you.
Wish List: Tashkent; Imp. Celeste; Nixon Peace; I-258, Texas Peach, LSU O'Rourke, Thibodeaux, Scott's Yellow; heirloom varieties- Ocracoke Is, unknowns; Other: World's Best Mulberry

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 07:09:05 PM »
That is fantastic.  I saw on FB a google spreadsheet by Kinte Taylor for the wish list and was wondering if we could set the form up for wish list, varieties that people are bringing, who is planning to attend and who is  bringing what for the potluck.  Having all that information in one location would sure make things easier.

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 09:20:26 PM »
I'll start working on it and send you a link to view it. Give me a few days.

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2023, 05:41:18 AM »
There is no hurry.  It's 6 months away.  I just wanted to let folks know in advance that the event will be held and to keep their calendars open.  Last year an announcement was made I think late May or mid June and people wanted to come, but were already committed to something else. By announcing the event now, hopefully, the attendance will be larger and can make travel arrangements early if needed. So far, the amount of attendees have increased each year. 

Offline Islander

• Islander
  • Welcome !!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 11:38:19 AM »
I am sure Iíll be there. Left a reply on FB ( in married name). Iím hoping to have at least a few to give away. Working on that now. Have two Iím trying to root to trade there. Petite Negri and Olympian.
Ah, all of mine survived. I had them inside for the worst few days, and in plastic green house after. I took them out the other day and set them just outside the greenhouse , so if it freezes again I can either put them in greenhouse or inside under grow light and in kiddie pool. Iím assuming eventually I wonít be able to do this as they will get too big and heavy. Then I guess it will be tarps!
Got 3 brebas on my Olympian already. No leaves, but brebas. Crazy! So early !
Growing: BT x2 , Black Mission, LSU Gold, Patsyís Pride, CH, Petite Negra, Olympian, Unk , CdDN , unk LSU purple?, YLN
Wish:  prolific figs. Smith, RdB, I-258, Strawberry Verte, Little Miss Figgy.  Berry figs, closed eye- basically anything