Author Topic: Dall Osso tree  (Read 749 times)

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Dall Osso tree
« on: August 06, 2021, 10:24:00 PM »
We got the tree on Thursday.   Soil was really dry.  The first thing I did was give it a drink of water.  John, thank you for sending us the tree.  I will keep updating this post. 
WL:  Thermalito, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Ashley

• Just Started Growing Figs
  • Thank You for Having Me
Re: Dall Osso tree
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 10:57:14 AM »
Congrats on your new tree Arturo!  Looks great!
Wishlist:  Col de Dame Blanc, LSU Red, LSU Strawberry, LSU Black, Galicia Negra, Socorro Black

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 06:20:06 PM »
I am going to wait some days, letting it acclimate to my area before I transplant it to a bigger pot.
WL:  Thermalito, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 08:20:44 AM »
Arturo,

Beautiful Dall Osso!!!  Congratulations you deserved it :)  Keep us posted on it's growth.
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 08:36:15 PM »
Janet,

Thank you and I mainly got it cause John and all of yíall decided I deserved it.  Thank you to all of our great members for having my back.

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Hillhunter4

• Learning as I Go!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 09:19:18 AM »
Great Arturo, Enjoy your new tree.
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Black), Colonel Littman's Black Cross, CDD Blanc, CDD Roja, Calderone, Socorro Black, De La Roca, Black Celeste, Figoin/Verdino del Nord, RLBV, Hative d'argenteuil

Offline opiem10

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 07:23:18 PM »
Arturo,
      Despite having dry soil, it looks like the plant arrived to you in healthy condition.   This is a 2021 rooted cutting but I bet the mini tree pot is full of roots and ready for transplanting any time.

Good luck with your new D'All Osso and let's hope for figs next year. 
Wish List: Bordissot Negra Rimada, Col de Dam Gegantina

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 08:45:15 PM »
John,

Dry soil is easy to fix.  I was not complaining, I mainly wanted to show how it arrived and what procedure I did right after I got it and why is did not up pot it.  I did not want to over stress it

Louisiana, 9a

Offline opiem10

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 11:03:24 PM »
Hi Arturo,
     I did not take your comment as any sort of complaint.   I just don't want to send anyone a dead or dying tree.   Shipping at this time of year is tricky.   I'd rather the soil be a bit on the dry side than soaking wet.   But then in the heat of summer and with a full pot of roots, those figs soak up the moisture.   One of Norm's trees looked a bit dry too, but once up potted all will take off in that heat and sunshine.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 01:13:03 PM »
John,

As long as I donít get a dried up twig, I consider myself a lucky man.  Now as for it arriving a dried up, burnt sausage that is the post office not the sender.  I am always grateful for the trades or the giveaways.  Thank you sir for everything you are doing for all of our members

Louisiana, 9a

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 11:53:26 PM »
John,

Have you gotten fruit from your Osso?   I am just curious I have figlets but I was expecting something different but maybe itís cause itís a small plant and also the figs are not done growing.  I have researched the variety but I want to hear from your experiences of this variety not complete strangers. Thank you for anything you can share

Louisiana, 9a

Offline opiem10

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 06:05:36 AM »
Hi Arturo,
     My D'All Osso is still very small and has not produced any fruit yet.   I am not sure if I will get any this year because of our mid-April freeze that has set all my trees way bac, including this one.   I am just thankful that it survived.   It will be up potted when I get back home on July 1st, as will a few of my other trees growing in 3 gallon containers so they all have a chance to really take off over the summer and give me better chance for figs in 2023.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2022, 09:09:06 PM »
John,

Mine had some die back also due to late freeze here.  It did not die all the way though, unlike my other trees.  Mine has some figlets.  I will post an update.  Thank you for your response

Louisiana, 9a