Author Topic: Pineapple Guava  (Read 245 times)

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Pineapple Guava
« on: May 19, 2022, 07:54:23 PM »
Here is another plant we planted last year, a pineapple Guava.  I donít know if the flower will take but we got a couple of blooms.  I read that itís suppose to be a slow grower but we got blooms so I am not complaining.  It took all the crazy colds we got and I did not baby it.  It took it better then the figs I lost that I did baby by placing them in my shed during freezing temps. 

Photo of the bloom which I read is edible.
WL:  Thermalito, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Hillhunter4

• Learning as I Go!
Re: Pineapple Guava
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 07:58:30 PM »
Beautiful Bloom. I think I saw some guava at my local lowes a couple days ago.
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Black), Colonel Littman's Black Cross, CDD Blanc, CDD Roja, Calderone, Socorro Black, De La Roca, Black Celeste, Figoin/Verdino del Nord, RLBV, Hative d'argenteuil

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 08:03:08 PM »
I have not but our big box stores have limited fruiting plants.
WL:  Thermalito, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
  • Smile as you pass through!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 09:54:59 PM »
The Feijoa (Pineapple Guava) is supposed to be excellent.  I planted one last year, but it hasn't fruited yet.  Each variety of Guava has its own taste.  Some are good, and some not so.
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, LA Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella,LA-BB, Maltese Beauty

Offline tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 03:08:57 PM »
We just got two feijoa a few weeks ago from a local nursery. They are beautiful plants. Hope to have fruit next year. No blooms.
Wish List: Hunt, Frank, Peace, Pound, any Col de Dame, Italian-258, Texas Peach, LSU Strawberry, LSU Honey, Golden Riverside, Peter's Honey, heirloom varieties (I'm still learning.); Other: World's Best Mulberry

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 05:35:44 AM »
The Feijoa (Pineapple Guava) is supposed to be excellent.  I planted one last year, but it hasn't fruited yet.  Each variety of Guava has its own taste.  Some are good, and some not so.
I have read about the different tastes and that the fruit size vary and of course some only give you flowers but no fruit.  Now I canít verify all these information cause we only got the one plant and just planted it last year.  I just hope we get the fruiting kind.   Wish you the best of luck with your plant

We just got two feijoa a few weeks ago from a local nursery. They are beautiful plants. Hope to have fruit next year. No blooms.
Wish you the best of luck with your plants.  I also read that they are slow growers.

Louisiana, 9a

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 08:02:03 PM »
I slowed down my growth by running over the bush with a brush hog.  It completely demoralized the plant.  Hopefully, all is forgiven, and it will bear this year.
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, LA Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella,LA-BB, Maltese Beauty

Offline AnaFL

• Happy gardening!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 08:36:13 PM »
I had a beautiful feijoa tree. It looked good and bloomed every year. Never set fruit. Later i was told it needs a second tree for pollination.
WL: campaniere, cavaliere, lsu Scotts black,  de tres esplets, RGR

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 01:19:14 AM »
I slowed down my growth by running over the bush with a brush hog.  It completely demoralized the plant.  Hopefully, all is forgiven, and it will bear this year.
Hope your plant does better

I had a beautiful feijoa tree. It looked good and bloomed every year. Never set fruit. Later i was told it needs a second tree for pollination.
Oh no, I need to get another variety?   I read that they are self fertile but get better quality fruit and are guarantied fruit with a second variety or so I read.  I guess I need to find another variety just to make sure.  Thank you for the heads up

Louisiana, 9a

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 07:24:57 AM »
I never saw a "named" variety.  I did a little research that says the same thing. and gives some cultivar names.  I guess I'll have to go on the hunt.

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 07:27:05 AM »

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator

Louisiana, 9a

Offline TXWatson

• ArkLaTex / 8a
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2022, 11:07:48 PM »
I have two feijoa in-ground, both seedlings of named varieties I purchased from fruitwood nursery. I also have a couple of potted rootstocks I will try to graft onto in the future. Never tasted a feijoa but I very much enjoy the regular guava you find at the supermarket so I have high hopes.
Want: Any CDD variety

Offline AnaFL

• Happy gardening!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2022, 04:13:14 PM »
 feijoa is very different from other guavas and for me (who eat pretty much all fruits) it's impossible to eat by biting it. The only way i can consume it is to put it in blender with sugar.
WL: campaniere, cavaliere, lsu Scotts black,  de tres esplets, RGR

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2022, 08:59:51 PM »
feijoa is very different from other guavas and for me (who eat pretty much all fruits) it's impossible to eat by biting it. The only way i can consume it is to put it in blender with sugar.
Ana,

Thank you for your input.  I too have not met a fruit I did not like but I have not had the chance to eat one of these yet

Louisiana, 9a