Author Topic: How I Feed My Fig Trees With Soluble Fertilizer.  (Read 49 times)

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
How I Feed My Fig Trees With Soluble Fertilizer.
« on: June 22, 2022, 01:29:47 PM »
Here is the video.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, Thermalito, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.

Offline tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
Re: How I Feed My Fig Trees With Soluble Fertilizer.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 05:34:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Ben. I'm wondering, how young are your trees that you are fertilizing this way? I've been reluctant to feed my trees less than a year old this aggressively, but your trees are so beautiful and healthy...I'd definitely change my regiment. I know fish fertilizer doesn't burn.
Wish List: Hunt, Frank, Peace, Pound, any Col de Dame, Italian-258, Texas Peach, LSU Strawberry, LSU Honey, Golden Riverside, Peter's Honey, heirloom varieties (I'm still learning.); Other: World's Best Mulberry

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 07:11:31 PM »
Ben, thank you again for another terrific video!!

Your fig trees are so tall and full, and I love seeing all of the figs waiting to ripen.
Please keep doing your videos as they are very informative for all the members.

I have used the Alaskan Fish Emulsion a lot this year also, and now I have a lot of growth and a lot of figs have formed for the regular crop.  I just need to add the Tomato fertilizer now instead of the Miracle Gro that I did prior to the figs coming out.

WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 11:28:00 PM »
Ben,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the members.  I love fish emo, have being using it for a couple(about 4 to be specific) of years now.  Family hates the smell but itís all good
WL:  Thermalito, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline AtlantaFig

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 09:50:11 AM »
LeConte, yes fish emulsion doesn't burn. Here are pictures of cuttings I rooted this year and I give them same soluble fertilizer with my older fig plants.

Pic 1 - Ciliegia Dolce rooted 3+ months ago with fig bumps

Pic 2 - Oro Bianco rooted 3+ months ago with fig bumps

Pic 3 - Carini rooted 4+ months ago with fig bumps (I have the rooted video)

Pic 4 - Yellow Long Neck rooted 3+ months ago with fig bumps (I have the rooted video)

Pic 5 - Yolo Bypass rooted 3+ months ago with figlet
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, Thermalito, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.

Offline AtlantaFig

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 11:52:51 AM »
Janet,

Miracle Gro has tomato soluble fertilizer 18-18-21, the brand I use is Lowe's brand and cheaper than miracle gro and more content. Here is the picture.

Offline First Sergeant

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 12:34:23 PM »
Atlanta Fig. How much of the Miracle Gro do you feed the pants and how often? Thank you in advance for your answer.
WL: Any variety.

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 03:01:54 PM »
Thanks Ben, I already picked up the Tomato soluble fertilizer, Walmart had something cheaper than the Miracle Gro grand.
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Offline AtlantaFig

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 08:29:53 PM »
Atlanta Fig. How much of the Miracle Gro do you feed the pants and how often? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Hi First Sergeant.  I feed my plants one tablespoon to one gallon of water with the miracle gro. I feed my plants every week.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 09:03:54 PM »
With chemical fertilizers, be very careful.  They can kill your plant/miniature trees.  Pretty sure yíall know that but I just want to make sure itís mentioned.  Chemical fertilizers like miracle gro can burn the roots of made too strong unlike fish emo(not a chemical fertilizer).
WL:  Thermalito, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline AtlantaFig

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 09:59:43 AM »
Arturo, yes miracle gro is a chemical fertilizer but it is not as harsh as lawn fertilizer. If you use lawn fertilizer it will burn your roots. I mix my chemical fertilizer with organic fertilizer (fish emulsion).

Offline AtlantaFig

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2022, 10:11:32 AM »
Arturo, do you know that miracle gro has organic soluble fertilizer? Here is the picture of my organic miracle gro.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 10:51:39 PM »
Ben,

I kind of knew people would know about the chemical burning but I wanted to make sure it was said.  I have heard of the organic side.  Please do not get me wrong, I am not bad mouthing miracle gro cause I have and will use it again.  I was mainly concern about our members and how they use a chemical fertilizer. 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline AtlantaFig

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2022, 10:30:56 AM »
Arturo, I appreciate your clarity about miracle gro. Thank you for letting the members know that miracle gro the chemical side may harm their plants.

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2022, 11:19:55 AM »
I learned a long time ago that one should never fertilize a plant that has dry soil/potting mix.  I always touch the top of any container before applying anything even if it's organic just to be on the safe side.  I use Miracle Gro All Purpose and other chemical fertilizers every so often, but ALWAYS make sure that the top of the root ball is damp. I now water at night if I am going to fertilize the next morning.  If I remember correctly about the cause of burning, it's because the plant absorbs the fertilizer too fast when it's dry.
WL: Azores Dark,Black Bethlehem,BB-10,Black Tuscan,Dark Portuguese,Greek White,Hunt,White Adriatic,Cavaliere,CLBC, Grosse Monstrueuse,Nerucciolo de Elba,Pastilliere,Rockaway Green,Socorro Black,TX Peach,Vista,White Madera #1,Zingerella, or any family heirloom with a closed eye