Author Topic: Another tip for growing in containers  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Ashley

• Just Started Growing Figs
  • Thank You for Having Me
Re: Another tip for growing in containers
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 02:13:48 PM »
Gets pad and pen and taking notes.   Both on how to properly grow the trees and how to get others to do the heavy work for you. ;D
Wishlist:  White Madeira #1, Col de Dame Blanc, Louisiana Green Honey, Smith, LSU Red, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, LSU Black

Online HWall_HTX

• I have no clue what Iím doing but I enjoy doing it
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2021, 07:29:51 PM »
Bumping this old thread as I have 3 more rooted cuttings to up-pot in the coming weeks.

When arranging the roots, does anyone add granular fertilizer and amendments directly to the soil root zone before adding the tree? I always figured it would be good to make nutrients immediately accessible to aid in plant growth. Adding the ring at the top for the feeder roots is a new one for me so curious if that is the only addition made to the soil for a newly transplanted tree. I understand any subsequent additions during the growing season is added to the top but this question is specifically to adding the nutrients down into the soil or whether I am better off with just the ring at the top for a new container tree.

Thank you kindly.
Henry
WL: LSU (Hollier, Red, Strawberry, Tiger), Col de dame Noire, Marseilles Black vs, Col de dame Grise, CdDB-N, Adriatic JH, BB10, White Madeira #1, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24
Texas 9a

Offline opiem10

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2021, 09:51:56 PM »
Henry, I never add any granular fertilizer below the soil level when I up pot.   To me, there is a risk of burning the roots or having too many fertilizer salts for the transplanted fig to deal with.   I give the transplanted fig tree about a week before I introduce fish emulsion fertilizer.    After another week or two, then I apply Osmocote on the surface.   That is it for granular.   I continue to feed with fish emulsion weekly through the growing season.   
Wish List: BB-10, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantina, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Figoin, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, White Madeira #1

Online HWall_HTX

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2021, 10:28:23 PM »
Many thanks John!

I have been adding worm castings and a locally produced organic granular fertilizer, MicroLife Citrus and Fruit, which claims to not burn plants. I guess one cannot be too trusting of the advertising since they also have a vested interest for users to consume the product quickly.

I will try your approach of allowing a ďsettling inĒ period before using a liquid fertilizer followed later by the ring of granular mentioned earlier in the thread. For some reason, I cannot get comfortable with osmocote because I can never tell if the granules are from the current feeding or prior (i.e. nursery feeding). I will create a new thread for a fertilizer question. Thanks again!
Henry

WL: LSU (Hollier, Red, Strawberry, Tiger), Col de dame Noire, Marseilles Black vs, Col de dame Grise, CdDB-N, Adriatic JH, BB10, White Madeira #1, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24
Texas 9a

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 08:18:07 PM »
When I up pot I do add some organic granular fertilizer, if I have some(which I usually do).  I have it inches below the root ball.  The way I figure is, the organic usually takes around a month to break down so the roots have time before reaching the fertilizer.  I also love fish emo.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Osso, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Online HWall_HTX

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2021, 09:53:46 PM »
So I see I was not too far off in my original thinking! I guess I still add worm castings and such at the root zone and maybe some a few inches below like you. It should not wash out too quickly in its granular form before the roots have a chance to access them.

Henry
Texas 9a