Author Topic: Favorite Fig  (Read 1222 times)

Offline opiem10

Re: Favorite Fig
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2021, 05:23:15 AM »
Henry, I definitely prefer the strong berry figs but a good sugar/honey fig mixed in is also good.

The Dr Clark is a Louisiana heirloom (JD can confirm) that is not easily found anywhere other than here at SouthernFigsForum or if JD is selling cuttings or young plants that he raised.  If Hurricane Laura took out his Dr Clark trees, I hope to be able to take an air layer off my current tree and have it available to him when he is ready to re-start his orchard.  Before the two hurricanes of 2020 came directly through Cameron, LA, JD gave quite a few of the Dr Clark trees away to members.

While taste preferences vary from person to person, I think you will find that out people really like Galicia Negra, a smaller fig and a slower grower as well as the Burgan Unknown,  Burgan Unknown was found in California, is medium in size, but some prefer it to Black Madeira.   If I find that to be the case, that would be special.
Wish List: BB-10, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantina, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Figoin, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, White Madeira #1

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 07:54:14 AM »
Henry,

I do have a preference, I like the berry figs.  I have tasted a Panache.  I have an LSU Strawberry that I really want to taste.  I also have a Domonick and Luigi that I want to see how they are.  If my new Smith does well, I hope to taste that one also.

Now I have never tasted a Blk Madeira nor an I258 but I here those are pretty good.  I would like to taste one just to see what the big deal is. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Osso, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Online HWall_HTX

• I have no clue what Iím doing but I enjoy doing it
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 07:17:06 PM »
Hi Arturo

Whatís interesting for me was the understanding that most, if not all LSU verities, were derivative or hybrids or Celeste parentage. To think of an LSU Strawberry makes me imagine a cross between a honey and berry flavor. I am excited to hear your review when it produces for you. There are not many reviews for it across the web.

Henry
WL: LSU (Hollier, Red, Strawberry, Tiger), Col de dame Noire, Marseilles Black vs, Col de dame Grise, CdDB-N, Adriatic JH, BB10, White Madeira #1, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24
Texas 9a

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 08:48:10 PM »
Henry,

The reason the LSU Strawberry is not very well discussed is cause it was not released by LSU.  I need to resoil it.  For whatever reason, it has not grown any  more.  I will change the soil, maybe it does not like the soil or there is something that is hindering its growth.  All other figs are growing 2x to 3x faster.  My Kadota, Dominick and Gino have outperformed it. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Osso, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 01:29:47 PM »
Hello everyone. I donít have favorite also. I love to eat fig. It depends on your taste bud. My Celeste taste good. I will give you some varieties to plant, Panache and Red Lebanese. You can root cuttings and have fruits the same year. Last year I rooted Battaglia Green and produced fruits but didnít reap because of frost.
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, CDD Blanc, CDD Noir, CDD Rimada, Thermalito, White Madeira, Black Madeira dwarf, Lebanese Red, Golden Celeste, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Figs. Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese, Improved Celeste.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 11:28:04 PM »
Ben,

I have not gotten a chance at a Panache so I hope to have that opportunity someday.  Those are some nice choices, I would also recommend the Kadota cause the cutting I was rooting wanted to produce figs while I was rooting it.  That was crazy, that is why I recommend it for production along

I have different varieties just so I can extend my fig season and have different to pick from. 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2021, 09:56:03 PM »
Ben,

I have not gotten a chance at a Panache so I hope to have that opportunity someday.  Those are some nice choices, I would also recommend the Kadota cause the cutting I was rooting wanted to produce figs while I was rooting it.  That was crazy, that is why I recommend it for production along

I have different varieties just so I can extend my fig season and have different to pick from.

I just got Giant White Kadota rooted cuttings. I donít know if it will bear fruits this year. You can look it up on YouTube. I got it from the guy in the video.
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, CDD Blanc, CDD Noir, CDD Rimada, Thermalito, White Madeira, Black Madeira dwarf, Lebanese Red, Golden Celeste, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Figs. Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese, Improved Celeste.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: Today at 01:56:54 AM »
Ben,

That looks like a very interesting fig.  I canít wait to see you post pics so I can compare it to the Kadota that I have.  We wonít see the real fig for a couple more yrs but still, the figs we do get during that journey will still be amazing.  Good luck with your new trees.

Louisiana, 9a