Author Topic: Rooting methods  (Read 346 times)

Offline Jfl9b

• ohh that's the one ;-p
Rooting methods
« on: March 02, 2021, 11:29:44 PM »
Did a couple did ways this time. I used the deep 9 inch tree pots with a homemade mix. Did the home mix with root riot plugs. Did some without the plugs and with those I did no cuts and with cuts. Didn't notice a difference. Did the fig pop with no plugs. All my cuttings were placed on heat mats and the cuttings were all dipped and dried with the clonex gel.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 11:49:10 PM by Jfl9b »
growing:lsu purple, ischia, vdb, lsu gold, beers black, ge neri, 44 hardy, yellow long neck,White marseilles
WS: coll de dama, lsu strawberry, dels ermitans, pellejop de toro,  alma,smith. anything good for humid weather

Offline Jfl9b

• ohh that's the one ;-p
Re: Rooting methods
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 11:31:02 PM »
(•‿•)
growing:lsu purple, ischia, vdb, lsu gold, beers black, ge neri, 44 hardy, yellow long neck,White marseilles
WS: coll de dama, lsu strawberry, dels ermitans, pellejop de toro,  alma,smith. anything good for humid weather

Online AnaFL

• Happy gardening!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 09:26:05 AM »
Nice roots!
I tried different things and did not notice the difference. I stick a few tiny cuttings of my b.mission in the random pot, they were sitting there a month or two. No special care, no protection, occasional watering if remembered and now i see they all growing. I didn't even need them.
The only thing i learned is to keep  cuttings in water for a few days after shipment stress. It helps future survival.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 09:05:32 AM by AnaFL »
WL: Smith, RdB, CDDB, LSU,CLBC, Raspberry latte.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 09:43:36 PM »
Like Ana that is what I learned, that if I stick mine in water first that my rooting will increase to 95%.  Also do not get me wrong, I have not gotten any hard rooting varieties so they may bring my percentage down but I don’t know till I try.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Osso, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Jfl9b

• ohh that's the one ;-p
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 05:31:59 PM »
Thank you! Yeah I've soaked them for like 10 minutes while I get everything set up. It's nice living in Florida being able to just root outside. But I've definitely lost a lot also. The root riot plugs are definitely my favorite way

Offline TXWatson

• ArkLaTex / 8a
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 10:32:20 PM »
Always good to experiment and find what works best for YOU. I've dipped a lot of my cuttings in water for a day or two before putting them in rooting medium; does seem to help. I've seen some wild propagation setups, but the more I do this I find less is more. I think I've killed more cuttings by fussing over them than anything else.
Want: Any CDD, RDB, Smith, Red Lebanese

Online AnaFL

• Happy gardening!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 09:39:14 AM »
I noticed that if i leave a fig cutting in the cup of water, it will root. Now , if cuttings don't show any signs of life after 2-3 weeks planted, i take them out, cut off dead tissue at the end and put in water and keep there until they show roots or leaf growth. Nothing died in water..
WL: Smith, RdB, CDDB, LSU,CLBC, Raspberry latte.