Author Topic: Hello from Houston, TX  (Read 208 times)

Online HWall_HTX

• I have no clue what I知 doing but I enjoy doing it
Hello from Houston, TX
« on: April 25, 2021, 06:42:28 PM »
Howdy
I am new to the forum and excited to learn from the fine folks of this forum. I live in the Greater Houston Metro Area (Z9a) where I just started growing figs for some strange reason  ;D. Other than fig newtons, my only other exposure to figs were as part of tapas. Nevertheless, I purchased 2 rooted plugs from Fruitwood Nursery (Celeste and Verte) last fall which has morphed into 6 trees at varying stages of maturity. All of my figs are in pots as I trial them to see which my family likes and grows well here.

My first hard lesson has been not all horticultural oils are created equal as I have already burned the new growth last month when trying to proactively prevent any fungi or bug infestation. Fortunately there is new leaf growth that will replace the burned leaves. Anyway, I知 looking forward to a productive summer and learning along the way!

Henry
WL: LSU (Hollier, Red, Strawberry, Tiger), Col de dame Noire, Marseilles Black vs, Col de dame Grise, CdDB-N, Adriatic JH, BB10, White Madeira #1, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24
Texas 9a

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
Re: Hello from Houston, TX
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 01:52:22 PM »
Welcome to Southerfigsforum Henry!!!  You will love our group of figgers  :)  Everyone is so friendly and knowledgeable. 
FigMamaJanet
Wish List: White Genoa, St.Rita, Black Jack, Black Genoa, Italian Honey, Yellow Long Neck, Tiger Panache, Black Mission, Smith, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR

Offline Jtv32438

• Figaholics unite!!! Lol
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 03:41:14 PM »
Hello and welcome
Wish list. Bronx white AL or Ga ,Smith , any type of LSU- ,jack lily,gold and strawberry ,GOta del Mel,St. Rita,Hunt fig ,Dr. Clark ,actually any fig that will root. Lol
Non fig: any type of banana,persimmon,or fly trap. Thanks James

Online HWall_HTX

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 07:35:26 PM »
Thank you both for the kind welcome Janet and James!

There is such a wealth of information and I am learning a lot already.... including what I was not supposed to do  ;D  Hopefully I will be able to contribute to this great community beyond my many questions.

Henry
WL: LSU (Hollier, Red, Strawberry, Tiger), Col de dame Noire, Marseilles Black vs, Col de dame Grise, CdDB-N, Adriatic JH, BB10, White Madeira #1, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24
Texas 9a

Offline opiem10

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 09:43:41 PM »
Henry, Welcome to our forum.   There are so many photos, videos, and discussion topics to help you as you add to your collection.   Not to mention the various giveaways that members run.

You are already on your way with a wish list in your profile.   
Wish List: BB-10, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantina, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Figoin, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, White Madeira #1

Online HWall_HTX

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 11:03:48 PM »
Thank you John!

I appreciate your welcome. Now I just need to figure out where those videos are because I get a 403 Forbidden error message when I click on the YouTube link in the video section.

Henry
Texas 9a

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 08:32:01 PM »
Henry,

Welcome to Southern Figs.  If you have any questions just ask cause we have some very knowledgeable members that are happy to help.  As for the YouTube issue that is cause some things have to be monitor closely so out site is not hacked.  You would be amazed at how mean some people are and I use mean just to be nice.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Osso, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Online HWall_HTX

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 09:44:34 PM »
I honestly thought references to a fig mafia was a joke until I started to read more into what痴 been happening on this forum and others in the past. The hype and price volatility adds further proof that some people are blinded by the money rather than the fruit of their labors.

Henry
Texas 9a

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 09:08:52 PM »
Henry,

Some people hype up some fig varieties just for the all mighty $$$.  I understand some money but nothing in the hundreds much less thousands.   
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Osso, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a