Author Topic: FigMamaJanet UNK Levittown cuttings  (Read 517 times)

Offline opiem10

FigMamaJanet UNK Levittown cuttings
« on: May 02, 2021, 10:46:33 PM »
In addition to the cuttings offered in several giveaways, Janet gave me a few thicker cuttings for me to attempt to root.    These cuttings were about the thickness of a pencil.  After exactly one month in a pine park/mulch media over a heating pad in my garage, here are the results:  1 of 3 UNK Levittown Red are showing roots at the edge of the cups.  3 out of 3 of the UNK Levittown White cuttings have roots.   From the pictures, you can see that all roots are very fine in nature.   One other Red cutting is just starting to push green growth although no roots are yet visible.  For me, the White variety definitely appears to be easier to root than the Red variety.

I have three other thin UNK Levittown Red cuttings that have rooted by way of the fig pop method.   Those cuttings have already been up potted into 4 x 4 x 9 mini tree pots.   Pictures will be posted after I see some green growth, which should develop soon with our warming temperatures.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 10:49:31 PM by opiem10 »
Wish List: Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Cravens Craving, Figoin

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
Re: FigMamaJanet UNK Levittown cuttings
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 11:25:59 PM »
Excellent start with the rooting and thank you for sharing the great photos! It looks like some of the buds are swelling as well.

I look forward to seeing the progress and reading about your techniques as they grow.

Henry
WL: Peace and satisfaction

Offline opiem10

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 09:58:56 AM »
Henry, I love this technique of rooting cuttings.  It works best with cuttings even thicker than these which Janet gave me.    The best part is the absolute lack of shock when up potting them to one gallon pots.   Since they are rooted in outdoor conditions, there is no transition from a high humidity environment associated with other approaches, such as fig pops or the shoe box methods.
Wish List: Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Cravens Craving, Figoin

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 03:23:33 PM »
John, the cuttings are looking good.  I am so glad you had such success with your various methods of rooting.  I am waiting my shoebox method with the heat, but I started mine later than you.  And my fig pops have been started later also.  I tried to put a few of my UNK cuttings red and white in the chamomile tea.  I have the white root bumps starting, while there is some green leafing on the top portion as those had a few  tight buds when they were cut from the mother tree. 

I am hoping everyone who won the cuttings show the pictures of their successful ways of rooting the UNK red and white Levittown cuttings.

Wish List:  St.Rita, Black Jack, Black Genoa, Italian Honey, Yellow Long Neck, Black Mission, Smith, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black, Mutante DC-7, Col. Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 08:05:04 AM »
John,

Great job with you rooting your cuttings.  I wish you be best of luck with the up-potting. 

Janet,

Wish you the best of luck with your cuttings. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Osso, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 02:51:11 PM »
I think I have one.  Now which variety is a mystery. I was in the process of watering my cuttings and thought I killed them all because I didn't see anything leafy. lol   As I was putting 1 cup down in the sink, I noticed something green in my peripheal vision.  I had to do a double take as I am on pain meds due to knee surgery and thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.  Sure enough.  One of the longest and thickest cuttings has a bud on it. Wouldn't you know it, I didn't label two cups. I could just kick myself for it. lol  Now I will have to wait and compare with other winners to see which one I have.
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Bryant Dark, Dominick Dark, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Offline opiem10

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 05:51:43 PM »
So Denise, you might wind up with an Unknown Unknown for a couple years until you get a ripened fig.  LOL

The odds are that it is a white variety as Janet had far more of them for giveaways.   But you never know.

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 07:40:45 PM »
So Denise, you might wind up with an Unknown Unknown for a couple years until you get a ripened fig.  LOL

I have quite a few of those because a friend gave me some well established 3-4 y/o trees with no labels on them.  I removed the suckers and tripled the amount originally given.
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Bryant Dark, Dominick Dark, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Offline opiem10

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 10:31:08 AM »
So, were finally are getting some consistent warm afternoons in NJ (mid to upper 70s and mid 80s the last 2 days).  As a result, my young figs are finally starting to grow.   This includes the FigMamasJanet UNK Levittown PA cuttings pictured earlier in this thread when they were just showing roots.    From the early leaf patterns (still very young), these varieties look like they could be Mt Etna types.   And this makes sense if they are cold hardy, in-ground trees in Pennsylvania.   The leaves are thick and have 3 lobes.   So far, the lobes are compact (no long finger-like leaves).

If they continue to grow out, I see a few being given away later this season.   I'll post more pictures as these plants develop further.

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 12:42:03 PM »
Great progress and growth on your young figs!

Did the other 2 of 3 UNK Levittown Red not root? Does this indicate the white cultivar may be easier rooters or do you think there was another cause? I know the sample size is small but curious to your thoughts.
Henry
WL: Peace and satisfaction

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 04:55:57 PM »
John, that is great news and they look great.  My Unk Levittown White cuttings using the shoe box method have 2 branches that have leaves.  They are growing great in the shoe box.  I had gnats maybe from the soil medium over the winter in the garage.  I have been putting them outside partial sun and leaving the lid open to get rid of the gnats.  Plus I got the yellow stickies for the gnats.  My Unk Levittown Red in the other shoebox have not shown any signs of growth, they also have the gnat problem which I have used the yellow stickies for gnats also.  They are slow. 

There was a long branch of the Unk Levittown White about 3 feet that was in the garage still in a bucket of water that was hidden behind lawn furniture.  There are white root bumps and a fig growing off the top side of the branch.  This branch wasn't budding on top, the top was cut off for the giveaways.  I will take a picture and post it.  So strange to have a fig growing and nothing else.

I put some of the Unk Levittown White and Red in fig pops.  Nothing noticeable yet in the way of roots, I put them in late, maybe 3 weeks ago.  So I'm sure they still need time.

Also my cuttings from the Phantom Figger not showing any roots yet either with the fig pop method.  They have been fig popped up about 5 weeks ago.

This is a learning experience for me, as I have never rooted a fig cutting in my life.  The few fig trees that I have in pots were gifted to me from family.

I will keep you posted on my progress.  Hoping that all the winners of the Unk Levittown White and Unk Levittown Red post their progress, or with any fig cuttings they are growing.

Wish List:  St.Rita, Black Jack, Black Genoa, Italian Honey, Yellow Long Neck, Black Mission, Smith, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black, Mutante DC-7, Col. Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere

Offline opiem10

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 05:35:11 PM »
Great progress and growth on your young figs!

Did the other 2 of 3 UNK Levittown Red not root? Does this indicate the white cultivar may be easier rooters or do you think there was another cause? I know the sample size is small but curious to your thoughts.
Henry

Henry,
It does not look like the other two thicker UNK Levittown PA Red cuttings will produce roots.   One looks brown and dead for sure.   The other is "greenish" but looks like the bark is beginning to shrivel.   Of my thinner cuttings that I had from Janet, I got one Red to root and 3 White.   However, these varieties seem to be very slow developers and I am not sure they will make it.  And of the two, White definitely roots easier than Red.  I tried both the mulch/bark mix in the garage (no gnats) as well as the fig pop method in my basement and the White variety definitely rooted easier.   But both varieties put out very thin, tender roots and that might mean they are prone to loss when up potting.