Author Topic: Celeste Tree Leaf Problems (Bugs, Rust?)  (Read 261 times)

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
Celeste Tree Leaf Problems (Bugs, Rust?)
« on: May 07, 2021, 11:39:01 AM »
FigMama Janet here.  Good  Morning from Coastal New Jersey.

I am sending pictures I just took of my Celeste Tree.  She is 3 years old.  Produced figs last year, a decent amount.  This year in the garage in a large pot wintered, small figs were growing.  Three little figs have falling off now that she is outside in her spot until winter again.  This is not a real concern, as it could be from birds, chipmunks (we have a lot of them), or they were breba? 

My main concern that I need assistance with is the pictures 2, 3, and 4 I noticed the leaves with this pattern on them.  Is this a scale, or a bug or rust.  I have never seen this the previous two years on her.

Any suggestions on what to do?  These were the only spots I noticed.  She is growing beautifully and I hate to lose her.

Thank you,  Janet Pakrul, aka: FigMamaJanet

Wish List:  St.Rita, Black Jack, Black Genoa, Italian Honey, Yellow Long Neck, Black Mission, Smith, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black, Mutante DC-7, Col. Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
Re: Celeste Tree Leaf Problems (Bugs, Rust?)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 01:59:11 PM »
Hi Janet

I am a newbie as well but since no one has chimed in yet, have you checked under the leaf for any signs of insects? Ive read most top-side leaf damage are due to insects under the leaf. Presence of webs would indicate spider mites.

Alternatively, did you happen to spray any oil-based insecticides/ fungicides like neem or horticultural oil? That could have led to leaf burn when exposed to the sun. I understand fig leaf rust are tiny yellow spots on the underside of leaves then turn into reddish brown spots on the top. It would have been on other leaves were it rust.

Sorry for not being more definitive but hopefully one of the more experienced members can chime in with their thoughts!
Henry
WL: Peace and satisfaction

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 10:05:15 AM »
Thanks for answering Henry, I appreciate it.  :) 

I just checked the Celeste and a few others and there are brown edges around some of the leaves also.  One Celeste leaf looks like lace - could that be an insect eating it?  I looked underneath, no sign of bugs.  I mixed up a solution of Dawn dish detergent and water and I will spray the leaves and top of soil.  See if that works.  Never had a problem with the Celeste in the past two years.  Maybe too much watering and it's been cool, cloudy and off and on rainy in New Jersey. 

I will put some gnat yellow stickies in the pots also, even though the Celeste is outside.  It's worth a try at this point. 
Wish List:  St.Rita, Black Jack, Black Genoa, Italian Honey, Yellow Long Neck, Black Mission, Smith, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black, Mutante DC-7, Col. Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere

Online opiem10

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 11:22:53 AM »
Janet,  I am also seeing similar leaf issues on my younger plants.     I think the cool weather is impacting growth more than anything else as my new rooted cuttings just don't want to grow in this cold weather.   And with low 40s again expected a couple days this week, I'll still be moving them into the garage at night.   

As for your plant with "lace" leaves, that has to be a bug of some sort that is dining on your figs.   I suspect that once we get warm weather, our bug population is going to explode because of all the moisture we have been getting in NJ.   I have had to spray my other fruits much more than normal to keep bugs and fungus (especially pear rust which always affects my Asian Pears) off my trees.   I just hope can keep black knot fungus from infecting my plums with a regular anti-fungal regimen.
Wish List: Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Cravens Craving, Figoin

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 11:28:12 AM »
Thanks for your response John :)

Should I use an organic liquid copper spray such as Bonide?  Some leaves have black edges.  These are my large pots that are outside.  My cuttings that have rooted are too tender to leave out yet.  It has been chilly at night.  Maybe that has something to do with it and the rain, plus I have been watering the sprinklers are on - having my husband shut that zone off.

I will keep you posted on what works.  All so new to this.

Online opiem10

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 04:23:50 PM »
Janet,
     When I have a stressed plant, I tend to withhold chemicals.  The exception is when I can see an infestation where treatment is absolutely needed.   The copper spray only helps if you have a known fungal infection. 
Wish List: Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Cravens Craving, Figoin

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 10:03:06 AM »
Thanks for your help John :)