Author Topic: Figs in Northern Mississippi  (Read 5425 times)

Offline Ms Figgy

• Global Moderator
  • Bless others with FIGS!
Figs in Northern Mississippi
« on: July 11, 2018, 10:35:10 PM »
Scouting out old fig trees can become a real adventure... I have located three possibly unique fig trees here in Northern Mississippi and will document the figs that they produce this year as to possible similarities to figs already known.  So sometime this year I will post more about these three fig trees and their fruit! One variety is known to have been brought by Italian immigrants from way back.  The best way to research this is to go to the land office and look for the oldest deed.  Anyway, like I said, the fun of finding new (old) varieties sometimes makes this an adventure!
Wish list: White Madeira #1, Unk Pastiliere, Cravens Cravings, LSU Strawberry, Dannys Delight, Emalyn’s Purple, Yellow Longneck, Peters Honey, Col Littmans Black Cross, Green Michurinska, Cool Hybrids, Impellezeri, Sangue Dolce, 5 Terre A

Offline Ortegojeffrey

Re: Figs in Northern Mississippi
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 09:44:16 AM »
Man Steve, it sure does bring back good memories to see old fig trees in the country. Memories live on thru our trees.

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 08:48:40 AM »
 Did you get a taste of that or did the bird get it ?

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 07:34:38 AM »
Yeah well I didn't even see you do dat.  I think this tree is over 200 years old but I'm looking for the record. Remember I told you their was Paul Harvey and the rest of the story on this tree but I will reveal this next year. And I can already see your face and see you saying oh my God. So watch out for people that are trying to manipulate part of this out of your hands it's not for (Removed Word).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:38:19 AM by LouisianaMojo »

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 05:07:23 PM »
Ms. Figgy, is there an update on this?
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Bryant Dark, Dominick Dark, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 09:37:16 PM »
I am curious also
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Osso, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Ms Figgy

• Global Moderator
  • Bless others with FIGS!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 01:09:22 AM »
Update on local figs

Being that I work full time and figs are my hobby, i can report that one tree I was trying to locate this past week is in the midst of many trees and this makes it impossible until spring as leaves are not present.  Next year i will do a better job .... this project got away from me due to some crazy stuff in my life.... keep the faith!  We shall prevail!

Ms Figgy
Wish list: White Madeira #1, Unk Pastiliere, Cravens Cravings, LSU Strawberry, Dannys Delight, Emalyn’s Purple, Yellow Longneck, Peters Honey, Col Littmans Black Cross, Green Michurinska, Cool Hybrids, Impellezeri, Sangue Dolce, 5 Terre A

Offline Richnbr

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 10:27:52 AM »
Good luck and happy hunting Ms Figgy
Wish list: Hunt, colonel Littmans black cross , louisiana strawberry,LSU Red ,White Madera #1, Buzzone Nero anything that tastes awesome and does well in central Louisiana zone 9a

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 04:17:58 PM »
Yes, good luck and we will wait patiently for your report.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Osso, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline LulaLeyNC

• Imagine
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 04:47:26 PM »
Checked the map, but  Philadelphia is smack in the middle. Was wondering if it might be north enough to be in your search radius. Maybe someday I’ll go search for the fig my mother used to carry on about.  :)
7a Wish list
Yummy varieties that can take mountain summer humidity better than I can. 🙄 Will container grow. Let’s see, a Kadota in memory of my crazy Mom, who loved them (canned). Conadria, Buzzone Nero, Hollier, Smith, I-258, Fico Nero, Brooklyn White,...

Offline swmofigger

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 05:39:14 PM »
Did I miss something? Where is the map that is being referred too?
But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid

Offline LulaLeyNC

• Imagine
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 12:03:41 PM »

Should’ve been more specific: I googled up a generic map of MS to see where  Philadelphia was on a north to south line through the state to confirm that Philadelphia was definitely in the red clay, piney woods middle of the state. Sorry, maybe someday there will be a treasure map of where the old figs are, a result of Ms Figgy’s adventures!
7a Wish list
Yummy varieties that can take mountain summer humidity better than I can. 🙄 Will container grow. Let’s see, a Kadota in memory of my crazy Mom, who loved them (canned). Conadria, Buzzone Nero, Hollier, Smith, I-258, Fico Nero, Brooklyn White,...

Offline figskeez

• Welcome !!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 03:39:03 PM »

Should’ve been more specific: I googled up a generic map of MS to see where  Philadelphia was on a north to south line through the state to confirm that Philadelphia was definitely in the red clay, piney woods middle of the state. Sorry, maybe someday there will be a treasure map of where the old figs are, a result of Ms Figgy’s adventures!

I am not sure about Philadelphia, MS, but I know of quite a few private (and some likely public) trees in the city of Philadelphia, PA. Among others, there is a ton of lineage to Italian families in the city. The Italian Market around 8th and 9th street have businesses and families that have likely been there for generations. Just in walking around the market and surrounding streets I have located a few trees that look pretty mature.

-Sean
Wish List: Paratjal Rimada, I-258, Smith, LDA, RDB, Ithaca, Strawberry Verte, Emerald Strawberry, LSU Strawberry, Colonel Littman's BC, Popone.