Author Topic: Yard Layout of Potted Fig Trees  (Read 534 times)

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
Yard Layout of Potted Fig Trees
« on: August 11, 2021, 04:46:39 PM »
For the past few months I have been watching which varieties ripen first and then laid out my trees accordingly.  Early varieties in the back and move the next successive varieties front of them. For the past 2 weeks I noticed this is not working.  I need to further separate the dark varieties from the green ones and allow more space between each pot.  This edge to edge is not working as I cannot tell which variety I am picking because the branches are entwined. Better pruning and shaping will fix that too. 

My question is how do you lay out your trees if you grow in pots?  My collection has grown quite a bit and cannot cull any for the next 3 years.  I wouldn't want to make premature culls until the trees have 3-4 years growth on them. 
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Dark Portuguese, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Re: Yard Layout of Potted Fig Trees
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 09:20:41 PM »
Denise,

You are a lot more organized then I am.  I have them separated by outside color and inside flavor(color).  I look at them as they mature and when they start to change color or get fat, I move them under the net.  I have not really paid any mind to early/mid/late ripening which I know I should but I may do that when I finally decide which ones I am keeping in my yard.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline opiem10

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 10:27:29 PM »
Denise,
     I currently have no order to my trees.   The bigger ones are under nets and the smaller ones are just on benches, where they can grow, out of the reach of the deer.   If I organized by ripening schedule, it would be way too easy for critters to start at one end of the line and keep working their way to the end of the line.  LOL
Wish List: Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
  • Smile as you pass through!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 04:45:44 PM »
I organize by different things.  LSU varieties together, Col De Dame varieties together, Bronx together, Greens, Yellows,  blacks, very rare varieties, very common varieties, and unknown varieties.

In other words, I have ADD, and OCD.
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, LA Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella,LA-BB, Maltese Beauty

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 04:55:50 PM »
Denise,
     I currently have no order to my trees.   The bigger ones are under nets and the smaller ones are just on benches, where they can grow, out of the reach of the deer.   If I organized by ripening schedule, it would be way too easy for critters to start at one end of the line and keep working their way to the end of the line.  LOL

Good point!
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Dark Portuguese, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 04:58:53 PM »
I organize by different things.  LSU varieties together, Col De Dame varieties together, Bronx together, Greens, Yellows,  blacks, very rare varieties, very common varieties, and unknown varieties.

If that works for you, then that's great. 

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 06:34:15 PM »

I donít have any rare trees, at least not that I know off.  Now I have a variety or 2 that I really take care a little more then the rest cause of what I read: Smith, M. Rimada and my new Osso. I do keep them close and near the house. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline TXWatson

• ArkLaTex / 8a
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 09:49:48 AM »
Man, I didn't even think of sorting my figs that I planted in ground rows this fall. Oh well, as long as they still have their tags on them I'm fine.
Want: Any CDD, RDB, Smith, Red Lebanese

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
  • Smile as you pass through!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 05:54:04 PM »
I haven't seen this thread since last year.  I reread all of the posts one by one.  When I got to the third post, I read it and thought that response sounded just like what I do.  I was impressed with the layout.  When I saw the author, it took me five minutes to stop laughing. 
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, LA Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella,LA-BB, Maltese Beauty