Author Topic: Hello from SWLA  (Read 907 times)

Offline cajunfigs

Hello from SWLA
« on: September 26, 2021, 10:34:53 AM »
Hi I am Jason,

Live in the big city of Iowa, LA.  Growing up my grandpa always made the best fig preserves and after failing many times to use his recipe this year I finally duplicated them.  I was gifted some LSU Purple cuttings this past summer while picking muscadines and the FIG Bug bit me.  Since then I have acquired 4 more varieties.  I am still finding my way rooting cuttings but have been somewhat successful, always learning.  I look forward to having a place to ask questions and also expand my fig collection. 
WL:  LSU Strawberry, LSU St Gabriel, Florea, I-258, LSU Tiger

Growing:  LSU Purple, Chicago Hardy, Kadota, LSU Champagne, LSU Gold, LSU Red, Smith, JH Adriatic, O' Rourke, Nola Pink Eye, RdB, Black Beauty 10, Hunt

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
Re: Hello from SWLA
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 10:46:50 AM »
Welcome Jason!!

You have come to the right place....there are so many fig growers that are willing to help with any questions you may have.  Feel free to share your secrets to rooting and various other topics that you thing will assist others. :)

WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada

Offline Ashley

• Just Started Growing Figs
  • Thank You for Having Me
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 09:42:48 PM »
Welcome to the group Jason.   There are lots of knowledgeable people here.   You are in a great area to grow figs and feed your want for more.
Wishlist:  Col de Dame Blanc, LSU Red, LSU Strawberry, LSU Black, Galicia Negra, Socorro Black

Offline opiem10

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 09:13:56 AM »
Jason, Welcome to the forum.   There are a lot of experienced growers from LA who can be great resources for your local growing climate. 

Later in the year, look for giveaways that are offered on this site to see if you can obtain varieties currently on your wishlist.
Wish List: Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 09:53:55 PM »
Jason,

Welcome to Southern Figs.  If you have any questions feel free and ask, we have some very knowledgeable members.

I live in Baton Rouge
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a