Author Topic: Rooting Green Cuttings in November  (Read 577 times)

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
Re: Rooting Green Cuttings in November
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2021, 11:19:01 AM »
Thanks Rudy, I will wait :)
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada

Offline opiem10

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2021, 03:36:05 PM »
opiem10, which method did you use with your green cuttings?

Hi Denise,
     I tried the water bottle technique.    I kept the cuttings in a garden window throughout the summer.   I got some to produce "water" roots, but most died when put into potting soil late in the summer.

How long were the roots when you transplanted? I up pot when the roots are about 1 centimeter or when I just see the true roots forming and put into the 50/50 or 5-1-1 mix and then do a lot of finger crossing. Shoot, I pray that they make it. lol

Denise, I never got roots longer than about one inch, and they were not numerous.  I couldn't wait any longer as the water was turning green.  It was not as easy a process as in the video you had posted on this forum.
Wish List: Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2021, 04:43:03 PM »
Opiem10, I change the water at least 3x a day and use very warm water because I don't have a heat mat. I found that to make a big difference.
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Dark Portuguese, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Offline tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2021, 07:26:51 PM »
Janet, I would wait for more roots.  I transplanted a tree which I thought had enough roots like yours. In the process of removing the plant, the roots stuck to the cup and broke off.  It turned out there was only one long root with many branching off so now I wait until it looks almost rootbound.  I would rather have more than enough roots in case history repeats itself. lol With all the work and emotion put into growing a cutting, I have learned to have more patience with them.

Rudy,
Thanks for sharing your perspective on this. I had some cuttings that I tried rooting some time ago and they all failed except three. After watching several videos and reading these forums over the past few months, I am certain that the reason for my failures is moving the rooted cuttings to larger pots too quickly. I was so excited to see roots that I thought I was done. I am much more cautious now and plan to up-pot only when they look rootbound. I appreciate you for confirming my thoughts. Hopefully, I can announce success in the next few weeks.
Wish List: Smith, Hunt, Frank, Peace, Pound, any Col de Dame, Italian-258, Texas Peach, LSU varieties, Golden Riverside, Peter's Honey, heirloom varieties (I'm still learning.); Other: World's Best Mulberry

Offline tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2021, 07:29:16 PM »
Rudy,

I am posting a picture of one of the rooted cuttings that I will up pot today.  There are about 4 more that are close to looking like that, so maybe in a week or two I can up pot them also.  These were not dormant cuttings.  So this was a new type of cutting for me to use also.

I see you have quite a few cuttings going, and you have some leafing as well. How long have you been rooting these? Are you using a heat mat or humidity dome? Are there varieties in your group that you believe rooted more quickly than others?
Wish List: Smith, Hunt, Frank, Peace, Pound, any Col de Dame, Italian-258, Texas Peach, LSU varieties, Golden Riverside, Peter's Honey, heirloom varieties (I'm still learning.); Other: World's Best Mulberry

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2021, 07:37:00 AM »
tridrama, I learned the hard way and wanted to share my failures with others so they don't make the same mistakes I did.    As every cutting season goes by, I learn something new. The number one thing you need with rooting cuttings is to have patience which I don't have. lol They have a mind of their own and I cannot make them do what I want when I want.

Not only is the amount of roots important, it's knowing when to water. I have lost many trees due to being too dry because I was afraid of root rot.  Growing cuttings in clear cups helps so you can actually see condensation.  When I don't see condensation in the middle, I use tepid water. When I see something moving below the soil line, I worry about gnats so I start to watch the tops of the cups and kill anything that moves by hand.  I learned that when very young gnats come above the soil line, they cannot fly so they are easy to kill as they crawl around. I have spent hours inspecting cups and killing gnats as I find them. lol  Helicopter momma. lol

My areas of concern are transplanting, fertilizing and acclimating young trees to full sun, and now winter storage so I am overly cautious about everything.  It sounds silly because they are just trees, but I put a lot of effort into growing cuttings all winter. Because of the work involved, I take no chances in doing anything that will harm my "babies." lol
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 07:52:52 AM by Rudy »
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Dark Portuguese, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Offline deerhunter16

• Welcome !!
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2021, 07:56:29 PM »
I agree with Rudy, definitely wait .
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 07:58:29 PM by deerhunter16 »
John z7a
Wish list:  Barnsotto, Black ischia, Cavalier, Marteneca Rimada, White Madeira

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2021, 04:30:57 PM »
I decided to pot up the cutting today.  I have kept it in a tall jar and noticed the higher the water, the more lenticels I would see growing.  The reason for potting up the cutting is that leaves were sprouting and I could barely make out some actual roots protruding.  I didn't want to take a chance with the roots getting too long and breaking while putting it into some potting mix.

If this cutting takes off, I will reproduce fig trees with green cuttings from now on.  I have some cuttings in water from my own trees and they are lignified mature hard wood.  They have been in water for over a month now and nothing growing. I also have a cutting that is on the green side from a friend and I can see lenticels growing and it has been in water less than my own cuttings. 

From my experience with the "mother" cutting, I am going to take a couple of soft green cuttings in the spring from some other trees and see if they will root like the spring sucker that rooted.

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2022, 08:42:54 AM »
Thought I would give an update on my broken green cutting.  It's growing roots like crazy.  I put it into a 2 liter green 7 Up bottle and wrapped some tin foil around it to protect the roots from the sun.  Wow, it really made a difference when placed in front of a southern exposed window. 

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2022, 09:56:09 AM »
Congratulations Rudy, experience is the best teacher. I;m glad your green cutting is rooting, Some varieties of fig don't do well in water. My CDD Gegantina is doing well in water but my Genovese Bianco is not rooting so I just put it in ziploc bag. Keep discovering.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, Thermalito, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese.

Offline opiem10

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2022, 04:26:07 PM »
Congratulations Denise.   You have found a new way to obtain more fig trees.

Trying to root green cuttings never worked for me. 
Wish List: Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2022, 04:59:57 PM »
Way to go Denise....Congratulations on the water rooting of your green fig cutting!!

Send pictures as it gets bigger, I would be interested to see it.

Did you keep in in sunlight as it was rooting in water from the beginning?
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2022, 05:04:55 PM »
John, somebody told me that LSU Purples are "rooting fools" so I am going try other varieties to see if rooting green cuttings are easier than dormant.  I just may have been lucky twice. lol.  I am going to give these trees away as I already have a 5 year old mother tree.

Janet, I kept the broken cutting on my dining room table which gets no sun, so it's just bright light from the window. 

« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 07:57:01 PM by Rudy »