Author Topic: Peaches - OFM  (Read 3034 times)

Offline musman

• One tree at a time
Peaches - OFM
« on: February 02, 2020, 11:35:42 AM »
Going on year 6 on my two peach trees, tons of flowers, tons of peaches till they are about the size of a quarter then they ooze "gel" and drop off or I take them off. My research has told me it's the oriental fruit moth. I've tried bonide fruit tree spray but its confusing. It gives amts to mix with water for 6 stages of development, but then says to not exceed three applications per year.

Am I reading it wrong? Anyone have any other suggestions to stop the OFM from ruining every peach? I live mins from the heart of the GA Peach farms, so I know I should be able to beat this. I've tried bagging them, that didnt work either.

TIA
wl: Smith, LSU Strawberry/Red/Hollier/Scott’s Yellow/Black/Tiger, Strawberry Verte

Grow List: Jimmy Carter UNK, Colasanti Dark, Brown Turkey UNK, Italian Honey, JH Adriatic, LA Green UNK, LSU Purple, LSU Gold, Chicago Hardy, Dr. Clark, Panache, VDB, RDB, Black Mission, Celeste

Offline opiem10

Re: Peaches - OFM
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 03:15:22 PM »
Hi Tia,
     I have the same issue with these "oozing" peaches in New Jersey.  I found that I have to treat with chemicals to prevent a complete crop loss.   I use Sevin as my primary application as it washes off easily.   I do repeat after every rain.    I find that if I am not diligent with re-application, those darn insects win.   I only have to apply until the peaches are quarter to half dollar size and then the pests must stop laying eggs.
Wish List: Col de Dam Gegantina, Corky's Honey Delight, Exquisito, St. Martin, Thermalito

Offline FigHearted

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 04:25:35 PM »
I feel sorry for you guys having to put up with such a nasty effect from a bug.  That would drive me batty and make me so mad.

Best of luck to you both in getting a crop!
WL: Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey, BB10, BFF, Adriatic JH,  Battaglia Green, Burgan UNK, CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Offline opiem10

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 04:38:46 PM »
I have two varieties of white peaches.   My earlier variety is much more susceptible to the insect laying eggs on the very young fruit.   The later variety has had far fewer damaged peaches over the past several years.   

My other problem after taking care of insects that lay eggs on the peaches comes when the peaches ripen.   Then the herd of white tail deer visit my yard every day for dessert until every peach within their reach is gone.   They have even placed their front hooves on my four foot fence that surrounds each tree, so they can stand on their hinds and get to as many peaches as possible.

I don't mind sharing with Mother Nature, but......
Wish List: Col de Dam Gegantina, Corky's Honey Delight, Exquisito, St. Martin, Thermalito

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 05:18:50 PM »
When I moved to GA, I planted lots of nectarine and peach trees in the backyard.  As the trees matured and fruit formed, I, too, had noticed the clear gel oozing from the fruit and then the fruit mummified and fell off.  This went on for years and then I got tired of it and just pulled them out.  It broke my heart to do so, but I am 20 minutes from all the peach orchards in middle GA.  Rather than dealing with the spraying, I have the option of just getting them directly from the farmers or local stores which may advertise them cheaper than the peach farms for the same peaches.  Crazy.
WL: varieties must have closed eye, LSU Strawberry, Azores Dark,Black Bethlehem,BB-10,Black Tuscan,Dark Portuguese,Greek White,Hunt,White Adriatic,Cavaliere,CLBC, Grosse Monstrueuse,Nerucciolo de Elba,Pastilliere,Rockaway Green,Socorro Black,TX Peach,Vista,White Madera #1,Zingerella

Offline cinhulsen

• Non illegitimi carborundum
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 07:15:41 PM »
If you’re going to try to grow any kind of Stone fruit,you’re going to have to spray. You have to spray with the hard stuff. Spray  schedules are available from the Houston or Bibb county agents office Or download it from the University of Georgia Cooperative extension publication website.Peaches have been growing in this area for so long that the disease and pest pressure is so great that you will simply not be able to grow peaches without spraying the hard stuff. I live not 20 miles from you and I grow peaches successfully but I have to spray every 7 to 10 days with standard chemicals. By the way your problem is not oriental fruit moth but plum curculio.
Wish list would include any of the LSU varieties at this point.  I have Celeste, Giant Celeste,  Golden Celeste, and a  whoknowswhatitis "brown turkey" type.  And LSU Gold. Have tried many of the Calif. types...all split and sour frightfully.

Offline musman

• One tree at a time
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 06:55:56 AM »
If you’re going to try to grow any kind of Stone fruit,you’re going to have to spray. You have to spray with the hard stuff. Spray  schedules are available from the Houston or Bibb county agents office Or download it from the University of Georgia Cooperative extension publication website.Peaches have been growing in this area for so long that the disease and pest pressure is so great that you will simply not be able to grow peaches without spraying the hard stuff. I live not 20 miles from you and I grow peaches successfully but I have to spray every 7 to 10 days with standard chemicals. By the way your problem is not oriental fruit moth but plum curculio.

Thanks. What's your spray of choice?  I never saw a beetle that's why I went with OFM, guess that's what's putting holes in all my lpquats, but those are still edible.
wl: Smith, LSU Strawberry/Red/Hollier/Scott’s Yellow/Black/Tiger, Strawberry Verte

Grow List: Jimmy Carter UNK, Colasanti Dark, Brown Turkey UNK, Italian Honey, JH Adriatic, LA Green UNK, LSU Purple, LSU Gold, Chicago Hardy, Dr. Clark, Panache, VDB, RDB, Black Mission, Celeste

Offline opiem10

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 11:10:42 AM »
I think my biggest peach pest is also the plum curculio.  The damage to the fruit is consistent with this bug.   Now that I am retired, I hope to be able to keep up with the diligent 7-10 spray cycle more easily.   When I do get fruit, it is spectacular.

While I can't grow the bananas, avacados, persimmons, and other fruits some of our southern members grow, I do grow several varieties of Asian Pears, sour cherries, and plums.  It's a lot of work, but you just can't beat fresh cherry pies or tree ripened plums.   

It's a good thing that figs don't require as much attention or I would be in trouble.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 11:23:04 AM »
Opiem10,

That is the main reason why I choose figs and bananas, cause they don’t require much attention.  At least I hope they don’t cause that is why I am planting them.  There are so many fruit trees I want but just can’t have cause of location.   I will make do with what I can though. 
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Richnbr

• Welcome !!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 02:54:01 PM »
Has anyone tried Surround on their peach trees? It’s food grade kaolin clay that is used as a barrier for pests. I planted some peach trees in the chicken yard but they’re still young. Hoping the chickens and ducks will take care of the bugs. Now about the squirrels....
Wish list: Hunt, colonel Littmans black cross , louisiana strawberry,LSU Red ,White Madera #1, Buzzone Nero anything that tastes awesome and does well in central Louisiana zone 9a

Offline cinhulsen

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 08:20:12 PM »
There are several things that you can use. Again I would recommend that you download a copy of the current spray recommendations from the University of Georgia Cooperative extension publication website. You will have to use a insecticide. I use permethrin and a fungicide. That can be one of several. Pay your money and take your choice. But if you do spray according to recommendations you should have good fruit.
Wish list would include any of the LSU varieties at this point.  I have Celeste, Giant Celeste,  Golden Celeste, and a  whoknowswhatitis "brown turkey" type.  And LSU Gold. Have tried many of the Calif. types...all split and sour frightfully.

Offline Bulldog

• Help each other. Life is short
    • b4ihurtu
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 09:22:47 PM »
 I love peaches, but I pulled mine all out also due to the oozing fruit and the deer eating any peaches that are left. Some years the plums get the bugs too and bacterial canker is infecting the trees. I think it is right that you have to spray them to keep fruit. I never have the time. The figs, pears, apples and berries do okay here without spraying.
Wishlist- Closed eye good tasting figs that produce well. Asian type persimmons. Jujube cuttings. Pear rescue or abbe fetel. Really good tomato varieties. Any oddball seeds!

Offline opiem10

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 09:48:34 PM »
I love peaches, but I pulled mine all out also due to the oozing fruit and the deer eating any peaches that are left. Some years the plums get the bugs too and bacterial canker is infecting the trees. I think it is right that you have to spray them to keep fruit. I never have the time. The figs, pears, apples and berries do okay here without spraying.

Bulldog,
    If you have plums and have noticed that tar black swelling knots on any of your branches, you are likely dealing with Black Knot Fungus.   There is no cure.   I used to get the most wonderful fresh plums until Black Knot Disease hit my trees.  I had to rip them out.   Only after 10 years have I planted a few new plum trees last year.   I hope to get a few years of good production.   I have also learned that extensive spraying with Funganil can prevent infection.   I'll see if that product works over the next few years.  Fresh plums are my absolute favorite home grown fruit.

Offline cinhulsen

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 10:23:00 PM »
Folks you do not have to reinvent the wheel. There are black knot resistant peaches out there as well as black knot resistant plums. Just select your variety more carefully and you should have success with them  .......if you spray.

Offline CarolinaFigs

• Howdy, y'all!
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 11:55:07 PM »
Add me to the list of folks who got rid of all of their peach trees. Too much trouble. I’m on the coast of South Carolina
Wish List:  Smith, Col de Dame (any), Black Marseille, Beer’s Black, Dr. Clark, Peter’s Honey, Black Madeira, Panache, Golden Riverside, Socorro Black, Mary Lane, Flanders, Bronx White, LSU (any)——particularly interested in the LSUs (I only have Purple) and anything from France