Author Topic: How to make your fig tree produce fruit instead of wood  (Read 3041 times)

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
How to make your fig tree produce fruit instead of wood
« on: April 04, 2020, 01:24:45 PM »
If you have trees that are getting really long in height but don't have any branches growing down the trunk you need to pinch the top Leaf nobe.

When doing this you will stop the upper growth and force all the buds below this to grow new branches. Usually the three buds below where you pinch will start growing 3 three branches really quickly. By forcing new Branch growth equals more figs.

I'm posting some pictures to show you what my end result is with no lower branches growing on my tree so I can't maintain around them and good upper top canopy growth for production of figs.

Offline opiem10

Re: How to make your fig tree produce fruit instead of wood
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 04:41:18 PM »
JD, Thanks for this information.   None of my trees have this issue so far, but I will keep this knowledge in my back pocket, if ever needed.
Wish List: Col de Dam Gegantina, Corky's Honey Delight, Exquisito, St. Martin, Thermalito

Offline figWillie

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 08:37:56 PM »
Thanks JD. That'll come in handy some day soon.
Want list: #1-Qalaat al Madiq #2- black Zadar, #3 LSU Red, #4 Ben's Golden Riverside/Robert's Golden Rainbow  #5-Madiera Island black.

Offline floridafigfan

• Grower of things!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 08:56:35 PM »
Thanks JD.

When is the best time of the year to pinch?
Wishlist: White Madeira, Azores Dark, ALL LSU cultivars!, Blanche de deux Saison, Hative d'Argentile, Martinenca Rimada, Colonel Littmans, Ponte Tresa, Dall'Osso, Violet Sepor, Rigato del Salento, Ben's Golden Riverside...

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 10:34:40 PM »
....And as I understand it..Not only will it produce more branches for the extra figs , it will help push out the figs on the brach below the pinching. Hormones and energy that would have continued up the one branch for continued growth on that branch is backed up somewhat and used along the branch rather than just the apical tip.
Wish List: Izmir, Genovese Nero, Noir de Barbentane, LSU Red, Pastiliere, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside, Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, Figo Preto, Marseilles Black,Col de Dame Noir/Grise/ blanc, Bourjasotte Grise

Offline Gofigure

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 12:24:12 AM »
Thanks , I am going to do this.
WL : Anything really but these would be nice - any LSU , Figo Preto , CCraving , MIB , Adriatic JH , Thermolito , CDDAnything , Bourjasotte Noir, Raspberry Latte , Golden Riverside , Buzzone Nero, Edith's Raspberry Jam , CLBC , Hative d'Argentile , I-258

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 06:10:41 PM »
Thank you JD for sharing with the members.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, St. Rita, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.

Offline WillowBottomFarms

• Hey there from the crazy goat lady and fig lover!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 10:17:02 PM »
Thank you.  I was wondering how I could get my trees to look fuller.
WL: anything unique or heirloom; Louisiana Swamp Fig; EXP 24 Fig; JDs LSU Red; Jolly Tiger; JDs Golden Celeste; Giant Brown Turkey; Osborn Prolific; BB-10; Smith; Calderona; JDs Unk Italian

Non-fig WL: cold hardy asian pear trees; heirloom apple trees; willow trees; jujube trees; plum trees; peach

Offline Tucson Rudy

• Newbie thanking all for your help & good info
    • blwdrhudy
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 11:55:14 AM »
I know it is is not done for the same purpose, but does taking cuttings or pruning have the same effect on the tree as Pinching?
WL:(LSU) Red, (LSU) Improved Celeste, Marseilles Black,  LSU Purple, Malta Black

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 01:18:15 PM »
We pinch to keep a young tree from getting real long and spinely with no lower growth. When we pinch we stop all upper growth Forcing growing hormones to go back to the root basin, making new branches to grow where the buds are.

When we prune it stops the growth of that branch all together, making that Branch produce new branches below where it was cut. Bottom line more New Growth more figs.

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 01:50:12 PM »
2018 late summer I tried an experiment on my LSU Gold. I pinched and it produced figs though it never ripen because it was late for the figs to ripe. Pinching also help in producing figs it may not produce as much as pruning. As I always say experience is the best teacher.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, St. Rita, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 02:21:07 PM »
Let me try to help clarify this for you. When you pinch your pinching off a leaf bud which will stun the tree but it will continue to grow after it recoups, it will actually grow a new bud to pick up where that branch or that tree on the growth upward was stopped. When you prune you are actually stopping that Branch all together it cannot continue to grow from that point it was severed. And what happens in this case the lower Bud terminal of the Branch will continue where the branch was severed in time it will actually grow over continue that Growth of that branch and Scar over where it was cut.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 05:01:24 PM by LouisianaMojo »

Offline Tucson Rudy

• Newbie thanking all for your help & good info
    • blwdrhudy
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 10:12:44 PM »
Thanks, I think I got it.
WL:(LSU) Red, (LSU) Improved Celeste, Marseilles Black,  LSU Purple, Malta Black

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 10:17:55 PM »
Nice pics!
Wish List: Izmir, Genovese Nero, Noir de Barbentane, LSU Red, Pastiliere, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside, Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, Figo Preto, Marseilles Black,Col de Dame Noir/Grise/ blanc, Bourjasotte Grise

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 12:59:15 PM »
Little update we pinch these treves a few weeks ago here's some results.