Author Topic: Cuttings  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Gofigure

• Welcome !!
Cuttings
« on: April 06, 2020, 11:23:43 PM »
I had heard about the Dr Gowaty fig here and found cuttings on Figbid. When the cuttings arrived , it was green and not lignified. So my question is , do I treat these cuttings when rooting them , the same way as all the dormant cuttings I've ever rooted? Are green cuttings easier or more difficult to root ? So far my most successful rooting method has been to root cuttings in dampened coir ( 90% success )
WL : Anything really but these would be nice - any LSU , Figo Preto , CCraving , MIB , Adriatic JH , Thermolito , CDDAnything , Bourjasotte Noir, Raspberry Latte , Golden Riverside , Buzzone Nero, Edith's Raspberry Jam , CLBC , Hative d'Argentile , I-258

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Recovering Fig Addict (NOT...LOL)
  • Global Moderator
  • Glad to be here!
Re: Cuttings
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 03:32:52 PM »
I have had good success rooting green cuttings in plain water. 

Another method that has worked good is to wrap the base in a paper towel.  Wet the paper towel and squeeze out the excess.  Place the cuttings into a styrofoam to go box and hide it in a cool dark place.  Forget about it for a week.  When you go back you will likely see roots and buds.
Wish List: 
LSU red extraordinaire, Italian (unk) , Strawberry Verte, Dall Osso Fig, LSU Strawberry,, LSU Black (any), White Maderira,  Col de Dame (any),   RdB, Roberts Golden Rainbow, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Socorro Black, Qudssaya

Coastal Alabama

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 06:00:25 PM »
I had heard about the Dr Gowaty fig here and found cuttings on Figbid. When the cuttings arrived , it was green and not lignified. So my question is , do I treat these cuttings when rooting them , the same way as all the dormant cuttings I've ever rooted? Are green cuttings easier or more difficult to root ? So far my most successful rooting method has been to root cuttings in dampened coir ( 90% success )

I saw it on Figbid too and I was not impressed with it because it was green. You might be lucky to get it rooted. Treat it like other cuttings.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, St. Rita, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 08:39:21 PM »
Are the ends got a lot of white marrow in the center and very little green bark on the outside

Offline Gofigure

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 09:39:16 PM »
Quote from: LouisianaMojo t
link=topic=1825.msg21047#msg21047 date=1586306361
Are the ends got a lot of white marrow in the center and very little green bark on the outside
That's exactly what they look like JD.
WL : Anything really but these would be nice - any LSU , Figo Preto , CCraving , MIB , Adriatic JH , Thermolito , CDDAnything , Bourjasotte Noir, Raspberry Latte , Golden Riverside , Buzzone Nero, Edith's Raspberry Jam , CLBC , Hative d'Argentile , I-258

Offline Gofigure

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 09:44:42 PM »
Atlantafig , when you saw the cuttings on Figbid , were you able to tell that they were green ? I wish I had noticed this.

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 10:10:23 PM »
I would follow mother gooses suggestion with the paper towels and check them about every 3 days to make sure no mold is forming. I would sterilize them before I did this and I would make it a cut below the bottom nobe about a half an inch also.

Offline WillowBottomFarms

• Hey there from the crazy goat lady and fig lover!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 10:14:33 PM »
I hope they root for you.  I lost my Dr. Gowarty cutting to gnats this winter.  Keep us posted on what you end up doing and if it works.
WL: anything unique or heirloom; Louisiana Swamp Fig; EXP 24 Fig; JDs LSU Red; Jolly Tiger; JDs Golden Celeste; Giant Brown Turkey; Osborn Prolific; BB-10; Smith; Calderona; JDs Unk Italian

Non-fig WL: cold hardy asian pear trees; heirloom apple trees; willow trees; jujube trees; plum trees; peach

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Global Moderator
  • Glad to be here!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 09:23:34 AM »
I would follow mother gooses suggestion with the paper towels and check them about every 3 days to make sure no mold is forming. I would sterilize them before I did this and I would make it a cut below the bottom nobe about a half an inch also.

Yes, we have used a 1:10 bleach dilution and a soft brush then rinse it with clear water.  Keep the solution tightly capped or it will loose potency over time.  I have even placed it in a spray bottle for easier use.   Don't forget to label it.

To make it use one part bleach to nine parts water.
Wish List: 
LSU red extraordinaire, Italian (unk) , Strawberry Verte, Dall Osso Fig, LSU Strawberry,, LSU Black (any), White Maderira,  Col de Dame (any),   RdB, Roberts Golden Rainbow, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Socorro Black, Qudssaya

Coastal Alabama

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Global Moderator
  • Glad to be here!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 12:11:04 PM »
One more thing.  If you have a hard time (like I did) finding pine bark fines.  Here is my tip.  Look for Soil Conditioner instead. 

I found this product at a big box store for $3.50 a bag. 
Wish List: 

Coastal Alabama

Offline Gofigure

• Welcome !!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 12:21:06 AM »
Thanks to all for the tips.
Mothergoosefarms , do you use the soil conditioner as the rooting medium ?

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Global Moderator
  • Glad to be here!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 07:49:22 AM »
Thanks to all for the tips.
Mothergoosefarms , do you use the soil conditioner as the rooting medium ?

Not straight.  We combine it with a reconstituted block of Coco Coir, pearlite and some composted chicken manure (1-2 years old)

Like most I assume, we root one of several ways. 

The mix described makes up a lot of really good soil-less potting medium.
Wish List: 

Coastal Alabama

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 09:07:15 PM »
Atlantafig , when you saw the cuttings on Figbid , were you able to tell that they were green ? I wish I had noticed this.

Yes I was able to tell that it was green. Right now most of the cuttings that the same seller is selling now are green.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, St. Rita, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.