Author Topic: Staying cool in the back yard garden  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Swamplife

• Think you can't change the world? Eat a raw bat.
Staying cool in the back yard garden
« on: May 31, 2020, 01:10:49 PM »
Ok, guys I really don't know where this topic should be but I have this problem in the back yard garden so.... OK, the problem. The humidity levels in Florida can run in the 90% range without rain. Couple that with 98+ degrees and you have the makings for a human soup. Over the years I have tried several different hats and none really seem to help keep me cool. Even Ball caps will let sweat just pour down your face. Now I know that some of you live in dry climes and I have been in those areas. 100 degrees in Dallas Tx is like 80 here.. So you guys and ladies that live in EXTREMELY high humid areas  would like to share what kinds of hats that you like for Hot and Humid area I sure would be thankful. Evaporation will not work because nothing evaporates at 93% humidity.
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, BB-10,LSU Gold, LSU Thibodaux, LSU Jack Lily, LSU O'Rourke, UCR 184-15,Colonel Litman's Black Cross, Orphan fig, Adriatic JH, Ice Cream Banana, any variety banana,

Offline WTBgardener

• Welcome !!
Re: Staying cool in the back yard garden
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 06:02:26 AM »
Ive got the same problem! I run a lot so I'm always looking for hats to keep the sweat out of my eyes. I have been using hats from https://www.headsweats.com/ and they seem to work pretty well. They dont keep all of the sweat from running down my face but it does help. I even sometimes double up with a head band under the hat. While working in the garden I will sometimes use a straw hat, those seem to keep nice and cool.
WL: Any of the LSU varieties, Raspberry Latte
Have: LSU Purple, Green Ischia, Black Mission, Olympian

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Recovering Fig Addict (NOT...LOL)
  • Global Moderator
  • Glad to be here!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 02:26:00 PM »
Let me add to this.  I wear glasses so a minute after I look down sweat drips onto them and my vision is impared. 

I use a two prob approach.  First. I use a product called Mission Enduracool Multi-Cool.  This keeps the sweat under control.  Then I add a wide brim hat for head and neck shade. 
Wish List: 
LSU red extraordinaire, Italian (unk) , Strawberry Verte, Dall Osso Fig, LSU Strawberry,, LSU Black (any), White Maderira,  Col de Dame (any),   RdB, Roberts Golden Rainbow, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Socorro Black, Qudssaya

Coastal Alabama

Offline Swamplife

• Think you can't change the world? Eat a raw bat.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 06:45:17 PM »
Thank you for posting. I wear glasses too and when I look down I look into pools of sweat dripping off my lenses, LOL
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, BB-10,LSU Gold, LSU Thibodaux, LSU Jack Lily, LSU O'Rourke, UCR 184-15,Colonel Litman's Black Cross, Orphan fig, Adriatic JH, Ice Cream Banana, any variety banana,

Offline syconophile

• Growing container figs in Auburn, Alabama
  • 8a Starting figs in large containers. Auburn, AL.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 10:13:17 PM »
How about an astronaut portable AC suitcase?
Zone 8a
Fig WL: Buzzone Nero, LSU Red Fig, BB-10, Excel, Hunt, Hardy Chicago, Mary Lane, Alma, Bordeaux, Osborn Prolific
Other WL: Dwarf pawpaw
Have cuttings: Brown Turkey

Starting for 2020: Brunswick, Celeste, LSU Purple, Unknown fig from a N Ala farm, Col de Dame Blanc et Noir

Offline NattyBo

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 10:47:27 PM »
I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Or at least I hope I can remember to, lol! All the hats I have tried don't work. Even the straw hat with vent holes at the top still cooks my head.  I started wearing a bandana tied about my forehead like my dad used to do to catch the sweat. But a hat is still needed.
WL: BB-10, Louisiana Lightning, Col de Dame (any), Sister Madeline's Green Greek, White Madeira, Maryland Berry, LSU Scott's Blk, Italian Black, Vincenzo.

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
  • Smile as you pass through!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 11:15:12 PM »
That's a tough one in SW Florida.  I often use a US Military issue Tropical Pith Helmet.  Its similar to the British style of the 19th century.  Anything in use that long has to have some good points.  Livingston, I Presume? 

It provides a wide brim and decent air flow on the brain cage.  There is no direct fabric touching your head other than the band.  They are available a lot on Epay at reasonable prices.  I find that if I take it off when working in the shade, I can tolerate it a lot more.  Wide brim hats with a neck cover work well too.  Its your neck as well as your head that really heats you up.   
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, LA Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella,LA-BB, Maltese Beauty

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 07:09:58 AM »
I know we're at War with the weeds and critters out there, all I want is to win a few battles. Never heard of this have you got any photos of this it might be time to Gear Up

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 10:39:01 AM »
I have previously used the addition of the "artificial ice"pack that are added to coolers. You freeze one up, wrap it in a washcloth and put it under your hat.  I have even found ways of hanging them on my back. The only problem with under the hat is it can get too cold and give you a headache, so sometimes the small "backpack" idea works better.
Wish List: Izmir, Genovese Nero, Noir de Barbentane, LSU Red, Pastiliere, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside, Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, Figo Preto, Marseilles Black,Col de Dame Noir/Grise/ blanc, Bourjasotte Grise

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 04:45:45 PM »
I know we're at War with the weeds and critters out there, all I want is to win a few battles. Never heard of this have you got any photos of this it might be time to Gear Up

You never see a Jungle or King Kong movie without these.
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, LA Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella,LA-BB, Maltese Beauty

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 04:48:33 PM »
The pictures are of an original USGI Tropical Pith Helmet.  Reproductions are almost as good.  The British and French are different styling, but similar construction. 

Offline syconophile

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 08:43:12 PM »
My grandfather wore one those pith helmets for yard work. He also wore a long sleeve shirt and a tie and dress pants and cowboy boots.
Zone 8a
Fig WL: Buzzone Nero, LSU Red Fig, BB-10, Excel, Hunt, Hardy Chicago, Mary Lane, Alma, Bordeaux, Osborn Prolific

Starting for 2020: Brunswick, Celeste, LSU Purple, Unknown fig from a N Ala farm, Col de Dame Blanc et Noir

Offline Cuncator

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 09:16:57 PM »
Friend of mine who served over in SE Asia swears by them as well for outside work, birding, etc. 
Good to know the reproduction ones are okay, thanks for the info!
Wishlist: Magnolia, Ventura, Conadria or any variety that doesn't mind wet and warm Florida.

Current figs: Panache, LSU Purple, Tena, Brown Turkey, Green Ischia, White Marseilles, Little Ruby, Olympian, Italian unknown, Yellow Long Neck, Lattarula, Chicago Hardy

Offline syconophile

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 08:21:59 PM »
Here is a friend of mine, Kok-Yong Tan, a Mac and networking consultant, being interviewed in his solar pith helmet. It has a hole in it with a battery-powered cooling fan! Maybe that would help in the garden.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 08:24:10 PM by syconophile »
Zone 8a

Offline NaNa’sfigs

• Welcome !!