Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 1502 times)

Offline SaintLupulin

• Learning to grow figs in America's basement...
Hello everyone
« on: August 06, 2020, 09:03:07 AM »
Hello Southern Figs Forum.

I am new to figs and also new to growing anything down here in SW Florida. I came across this forum in my research of figs I wanted to attempt to grow. I am trying figs that others in similar areas have done well with and as I learn more want to try more fig types that would have been hard to start out with. If things go well I am looking forward to trading and giving folks cuttings or plants just like I have had fun doing with other plants I have grown. I think that's part of the fun is sharing something that brings you joy. My setup is basic with grow bags I make myself and soil mix that drains well but doesn't dry out before I can water after I get home from work. It is a balancing act down here as just last night we had 3+ inches of rain.

I am looking forward to learning more from those who have already been there and done that. I also hope to share my findings with the group for those of us that dont have to worry about short seasons but deal with very hot, humid and rainy climates. I included a picture of my very rudimentary setup. I hand water as I only have a few plants and it gives me the chance to check on them everyday.

Cheers!
WL: LSU Strawberry, Rosselino, Any Col De Dames, Azores Dark, Neruciollo D'elba, Iranian Candy, anything with cherry flavor or rain/mold resistant qualities.

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 09:13:23 AM »
Hello and welcome to Southern figs forum we have a number people that are very educated and can help you reach your goals.

Please bear with us as we are rebuilding this site hopefully everything will get back to normal and we will begin to give away free cuttings here coming this fall and you never know what and when somebody is going to give something away here we have a lot of very generous people

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 11:12:00 AM »
Welcome SaintLupulin. There are lots of information here. Please spend time going through the site and you will gain a lot.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, St. Rita, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.

Offline Jtv32438

• Figaholics unite!!! Lol
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 01:11:55 PM »
Hello and welcome
Wish list. Bronx white AL or Ga ,Smith , any type of LSU- ,jack lily,gold and strawberry ,GOta del Mel,St. Rita,Hunt fig ,Dr. Clark ,actually any fig that will root. Lol
Non fig: any type of banana,persimmon,or fly trap. Thanks James

Offline SaintLupulin

• Learning to grow figs in America's basement...
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 08:27:16 PM »
Thank you all. I have been reading through the board while work was slow today. Lots of good information and will save me from asking the same questions others have. Also a site that is being worked on is great even if it comes with temporary downtime because it means it has an active moderator/developer team. Looking forward to interacting with all of you as I absorb and share information
WL: LSU Strawberry, Rosselino, Any Col De Dames, Azores Dark, Neruciollo D'elba, Iranian Candy, anything with cherry flavor or rain/mold resistant qualities.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 07:24:30 PM »
Welcome to Southern Figs Forum.  There are a lot of posts on here with great information.  If you have any questions, just ask and someone will be happy to help.  We have some very knowledgeable and amazing members. 
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Ashley2 (acnevels)

• New to growing figs but addicted after one season
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 10:08:57 AM »
Welcome to the group Saint Lupulin.. I started growing this year and have learned a lot from the members.  People here are very generous with their knowledge and trees.
Wishlist:  White Madeira #1, Col de Dame Blanc, Louisiana Green Honey, Smith, LSU Red, Buzzone Nero

Offline Newbie2figs

• Love fruit trees!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 11:20:25 AM »
Welcome to the fig family forum, glad you found it !!
Mario
Zone 9a Tx
Wishlist:,CALDERONA,Azores dark,Black Tuscan, Thermilito,Mutante and crazy for stripped figs