Author Topic: Bragging rights  (Read 5007 times)

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
Bragging rights
« on: October 16, 2018, 05:58:15 PM »
Okay we're off to a good start this involves many many years to breed and develop new fig hybrids
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:53:52 AM by LouisianaMojo »

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
Re: Bragging rights
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:12:52 AM »
Fig research and breeding in the United States dates back into the 50s this is when Louisiana State University started their research and through the years they became the top research facility to promote and come up with the most new hybrids of figs here in the US. Due to cutbacks to the University and being Limited fourth going in their projects they fell behind and put on hold losing their position for being the top university of new hybrids of figs.              We are proud to say now that Louisiana now is again the top state for producing new hybrids again in the US. This has involved a lot of time money and dedication with a lot of failures. To make such a claim The new hybrid has to be supported  by documentation on your study and your new hybrid needs to be DNA fingerprinted and registered. This is why research is so hush-hush because the cost it takes to do this. We still have LSU that has a couple things on the back burner and a few Southern States in promoting new hybrids along with our studies we have a small group me Steve and a couple other people we're looking forward to the next few years and giving back to the Fig community.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 09:38:31 AM by LouisianaMojo »

wellingtonbill

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »
JD I have always been one who tries to bring my work to completion - and the unfinished work of others.  I applaud your desire and determination to continue hybridizing figs for our good Ole, USA.  Great things are going to happen!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:55:01 AM by LouisianaMojo »

Offline Ortegojeffrey

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 12:04:23 AM »
Great work!

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 09:33:45 AM »
Yes Steve that's a very fine fig their. And this is a new hybrid  not done with it yet still improving on it but the size is just incredible and I look for it to get bigger.

This could be a 1 pound fig. In the upcoming next couple years we look to introduce some new hybrids of figs tasting like blueberry BlackBerry  banana and have a real flavorful Peach.

If everything goes good this fall these will be started hopefully by the end of the year if not the first of next year. And we look to have at least another dozen new varieties of hybrids to register. We already have a couple of hybrid seedlings in the ground growing for observation and we're looking maybe next year to have some of these growing in different growing zones here in the US.

I will try to post some hybrid seedlings at different stages of growth for all to see. So keep checking in and look for further updates on our studies
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 09:34:26 AM by LouisianaMojo »

Offline fettuccine

• Hiyo!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 03:34:49 PM »
Really quite amazing what you guys and your team are trying to do. What irritates me the most is seeing how the old fig pros brag about having 30 years behind them and yet they donít believe itís worth discussing with other people. You guys are a new generation of fig growers interested in continuing that work and challenge. Itís not a bad thing to pass on what they know and prevent the same mistakes from happening and wasting time. Everyone starts from 0 even those fig pros ::) They got to where they are somehow and definitely with the help of someone experienced in the field back then.

You guys are doing a great work, already fruiting figs! Maybe them being mum on the subject helped in some way
WL: Cavaliere, Pastiliere, Bourjasotte Grise, Genovese Nero AF, Negretta, Drap DíOr, true LSU OíRourke, Atreano OR, Bi-39, Sweetheart