Author Topic: Coming Soon---pictures of LSU Purple and LSU DC-7 air layers  (Read 1438 times)

Offline opiem10

Hi Members,

I started about 20 air layers on May 7th.   I unwrapped some of the aluminum foil around a couple of my LSU plants I needed to re-shape and low and behold, they already have enough roots to remove the air layer from the parent and pot them up.   One is an LSU Purple (this variety grows quickly) and the other is an LSU DC-7.   

I plan to take pictures this weekend of the before and after looks of the plants.   Both grew two big horizontal branches.   So the plants are only about 10 inches tall, but several feet wide.   After removing the air layers, I will re-pot the parent plants on their sides with the remaining branch becoming a terminal leader.   Any leftover branch from the trunk to the air layer will be cut off and just stuck into a pot or the ground to determine if they will root.
Wish List: Col de Dam Gegantina, Corky's Honey Delight, Exquisito, St. Martin, Thermalito

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
Re: Coming Soon---pictures of LSU Purple and LSU DC-7 air layers
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 09:16:53 PM »
Congratulations on the successful and fast air layering! Hope the ensuing potting is equally successful!
WL: Peace and satisfaction

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 10:33:44 PM »
John,

Congratulations on the ALs that you have going.   I canít wait to see what they look like.
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Jtv32438

• Figaholics unite!!! Lol
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 08:21:20 AM »
Thatís great news I love air layering. If u r going to (word removed) any of the DC-7 i am interested as winter weather claimed mine.

Sorry but we donít do that here on this forum.  We only trade and/or giveaway
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 11:08:50 PM by LaFigGwr2019 »
Wish list. Bronx white AL or Ga ,Smith , any type of LSU- ,jack lily,gold and strawberry ,GOta del Mel,St. Rita,Hunt fig ,Dr. Clark ,actually any fig that will root. Lol
Non fig: any type of banana,persimmon,or fly trap. Thanks James

Offline opiem10

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 08:23:24 AM »
Here are my first pictures of the air layering project involving two of my LSU varieties.   These are pictures of the plants and the plastic bottles containing the new roots prior to them being removed from the mother plants.

More pictures of the removed air layers, re-potted parent trees, and the new "babies" coming later today or tomorrow.
Wish List: Col de Dam Gegantina, Corky's Honey Delight, Exquisito, St. Martin, Thermalito

Offline opiem10

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 11:26:54 AM »
Here are some pictures after potting up the air layers.  I always remove about 75% of leaves to help in the transition of the air layers to self-supporting plants.  They will be placed in shade for the next week or two so they can get acclimated to their new environment.   Drying out new air layers is the biggest risk as they don't have an established root mass.

I was surprised at how dry the media was.  After we get through our storms over the next 24 hours, I am going to moisten all my remaining air layers so roots don't dry out or fail to develop.

If anyone has a not yet tried to propagate new plants by way of air layers, you ought to give it a try.   It's easy and gives you a plant initially much bigger than when rooting cuttings.

Offline opiem10

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 11:37:22 AM »
Thatís great news I love air layering. If u r going to (word removed) any of the DC-7 i am interested as winter weather claimed mine.

Hi James, I have no plans to (word removed) any of my DC-7 babies.   However, if I am successful in getting some to root and grow out, you might find my "babies" going up for adoption on this site later in the season.    :)

First, I want to make sure I have several varieties of figs for JD, should he be ready to re-plant his orchards after last year's devastating storms.   I am not sure which varieties he will be able to acquire from local friends and which varieties members of this forum can provide him.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 11:40:24 PM by LaFigGwr2019 »

Offline Hillhunter4

• Learning as I Go!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 12:35:45 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures. The roots looked to have substantial diameter, compared to pictures I have seen of newly rooted cuttings.
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Black), Colonel Littman's Black Cross, CDD Blanc, CDD Roja, Calderone, Socorro Black, De La Roca, Black Celeste, Figoin/Verdino del Nord, RLBV, Hative d'argenteuil

Offline opiem10

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 01:44:49 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures. The roots looked to have substantial diameter, compared to pictures I have seen of newly rooted cuttings.

Norman, This is typically the type of roots I see when I air layer.   They are thicker and more vigorous in their growth habit than roots seen from cuttings.   I don't know the reason, but assume it may be that the mother plant still is providing energy to the tip of the branch being air layered.   Air layering only stops some of the energy flow when I scrape the cambium layer on the side of one node.   Much of the cambium is still intact.

Offline opiem10

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2021, 01:48:32 PM »
So curiosity got the best of me when I saw all those roots in my LSU Purple and LSU DC-7 air layer bottles.   I decided to check a few others and was surprised that many had small clusters of roots, including those on my Burgan UNK, Kathleen's Black and Calderona.   Of the air layers I checked, only the Yellow Lebanese showed no signs of roots.    And the Yellow Lebanese was difficult for me to root from cuttings too.   It might need more heat and we just haven't had enough consistent warmth yet in NJ.  We are supposed to get low temperatures in the low 40's during the next two evenings and it is almost June.

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2021, 03:16:58 PM »
John, your air layers look great!  I will have to try air layering next, once I get my cuttings going.  They look so much larger and stronger than doing a fig pop or cutting in a bin to root.  Good luck with the rest!!!
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Roberts Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2021, 11:58:06 PM »
John,

As always, great job with your AL.  Roots look amazing. 
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Hillhunter4

• Learning as I Go!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 09:38:05 AM »
Am I correct that DC is abbreviation for Dead Cat. Why on earth would a series of figs be called dead cat? Marketing obviously was not a consideration. All that aside can someone tell me the characteristics of DC figs?
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Black), Colonel Littman's Black Cross, CDD Blanc, CDD Roja, Calderone, Socorro Black, De La Roca, Black Celeste, Figoin/Verdino del Nord, RLBV, Hative d'argenteuil

Offline opiem10

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 11:57:45 AM »
Hi Norman, I believe the name for the "Dead Cat" varieties came about because a dead cat was actually found in the greenhouse where those new varieties were being bred.

I haven't yet gotten a ripened fig off my tree but there might be information somewhere on this forum to answer your questions about the size, color, and taste of these figs.

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 02:37:07 PM »
JD did a post with pics and flavor on the DC-7 here https://southernfigsforum.com/index.php?topic=181.msg312#msg312

And Johnís story aligns with what Iíve read as well:

Dr Johnson explained that some remaining trees from LSU's research plot were destined for bulldozing and he sent out a student to take cuttings for posterity.  There was a dead cat by the trees that day, and the resulting cuttings were designated "DC-1", "DC-2" etc.Ē

JD may be able to share further information on parentage which could indicate flavor or growing habits.
Henry
WL: Peace and satisfaction