Author Topic: Vegetable Garden Harvest  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Hillhunter4

• Learning as I Go!
Vegetable Garden Harvest
« on: June 11, 2021, 10:15:38 AM »
Despite adverse conditions we are starting to get daily Vegetable harvest. Adding a picture from a couple months ago so you can see the adversity.
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Black), Colonel Littman's Black Cross, CDD Blanc, CDD Roja, Calderone, Socorro Black, De La Roca, Black Celeste, Figoin/Verdino del Nord, RLBV, Hative d'argenteuil

Offline TXWatson

• ArkLaTex / 8a
Re: Vegetable Garden Harvest
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 05:45:02 PM »
Awesome! Green beans are like my #1 thing I can count on. Okra would be the second I think. It's been Murphy's law for me when it comes to my vegetable garden this year. If I ever get any peppers or tomatoes they will be super late.
Want: Any CDD variety

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 06:30:55 PM »
Norman,

Your garden looks awesome!! I am sure you started it early, are you in a warmer climate.

I started mine May around Mother's Day, as they say then we are out of danger from frost in New Jersey.  We planted raised beds, I will take pictures.  Swiss chard, a lot (3-1/2 raised garden beds of) of Jersey Tomatoes, all of the different colored bell peppers, white eggplant, radishes, every lettuce you can think of, and cilantro, Italian parsley, Italian basis, oregano (these herbs we grow a lot, as I dry them to use over the winter.)

So they are just getting started, tomatoes, eggplant and peppers will be a while yet.  Tomatoes have started to grown, and little buds for the peppers.  It should be a good harvest.

Good luck with your garden :)
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Roberts Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Offline TXWatson

• ArkLaTex / 8a
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 07:53:52 PM »
Janet,
Do you really like Swiss Chard? I can't bring myself around to it. I have one plant that stayed in my raised bed all winter, survived down to -6F, and still hanging on in our heat. I'm keeping it around because the large leaves make great chicken fodder  ;D
Want: Any CDD variety

Offline Ashley

• Just Started Growing Figs
  • Thank You for Having Me
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 08:26:53 PM »
Great looking harvest.    I am sure there is great delight in cooking something you grew.
Wishlist:  Col de Dame Blanc, LSU Red, LSU Strawberry, LSU Black, Galicia Negra, Socorro Black

Offline Hillhunter4

• Learning as I Go!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 08:44:23 PM »
Planted tomatoes and beans on March 23. That is usually safe but we had a late frost first of April. Covered everything up and they survived. The. Flash flood middle of April and they survived again. Okra and Eggplant havenít started producing yet. Been tying up tomatoes this afternoon.
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Black), Colonel Littman's Black Cross, CDD Blanc, CDD Roja, Calderone, Socorro Black, De La Roca, Black Celeste, Figoin/Verdino del Nord, RLBV, Hative d'argenteuil

Offline Hillhunter4

• Learning as I Go!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 09:24:39 PM »
Janet, you have a large variety. Lease post pictures when you get a chance

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 02:03:01 AM »
Garden is very impressive.  Wish all of yíall the best of luck.  Later this fall I am hoping to plant some Swiss chard cause I really want to try them. 
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 10:04:25 AM »
Tyler, Norman, & Arturo,

I will send pictures as soon as I take them.  We had some rain the past few days off and on.  Now we need more sun for the garden and the figs.

Swiss Chard has a sweeter taste than spinach, or escarole (escarole is a lettuce type plant which you can have as a lettuce, or cut leaves and boil them and then fry in olive oil, salt, pepper and a lot of fresh garlic.  This is the Italian way.  I do my swiss chard the same way, since I am the only one who will eat it except my Dad who is now deceased.  He had awesome gardens, he planted everything.

Try the swiss chard, they sell it in grocery stores.  I never tried it fresh, I don't know if it can be eaten that way, I am sure there are recipes around, if you can eat it that way.

We even go to a huge Pick-your-own farm - a lot of them in New Jersey.  I used to get my swiss chard there.  But now we are planting it, clip it and leave the roots and it will keep producing until winter.

WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Roberts Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Offline opiem10

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 11:07:31 AM »
Wildlife in my area keep me from growing a true garden.   I am jealous.   Between deer that go over or through fences, to groundhogs that dig under fences, and rabbits to get what they can reach, I would have to make my property look like a fenced in prison in order to grow vegetables.   I am limited to 4 tomato plants on my deck with some cilantro and basil which the animals won't touch.

The deer have been decimating my peach trees.   Anything 6 feet or lower has been eaten.   Thank goodness there is a good crop of fruit higher up on my trees.   Same for my Asian Pears.   Plums are imprisoned within a fenced area so only squirrels have to be trapped and relocated to the mountains.
Wish List: Col de Dam Gegantina, Corky's Honey Delight, Exquisito, St. Martin, Thermalito

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 03:38:43 PM »
John,  I know the deer can be quite a problem.  I have a fenced in yard, so I don't have to worry about them.  Its just the other little visitors.  Hope you are able to get some tomatoes on your patio plants :)

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 08:12:55 PM »
Janet,

I have being wanting to try them cause of what I read.  I was going to do it this spring but we had a crazy spring and I just did not want to waste the seeds.  I figured, there is always fall.  My wife and I love greens and I was planning on cooking them the same way or in a soup.  Canít wait to see your pics.

I have being trying to grow tree collards/kale for that reason but weather/mother nature just does not want to give me a chance.  I will try one last time, hopefully I can keep them growing.
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Hillhunter4

• Learning as I Go!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 11:10:38 PM »
Janet,
I am planning on trying Swiss Chard. I think it will grow nearly year round here. We eat a lot of greens, collards, turnips and mustard.
While moving today I found evidence where squirrels have been eating my tomatoes. Not cool

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2021, 06:25:29 PM »
Norman,

Oh no, not the tomatoes!!!!  The only thing in our tomato garden are my 2 dogs chasing chipmunks.  So far none of them have uprooted any of the tomatoes!! I hope it stays that way :) 

I was told red hot pepper flakes (the spice jar kind), shaken around your flowers and plants/garden will chase the animals away.  Its hot and they do not like it.  I'm going to try it.  They sell it cheap in the Dollar Tree or any store like that.  :)

Offline Hillhunter4

• Learning as I Go!
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2021, 09:55:25 PM »
Janet,
Pepper is worth a try on squirrels. I may have to go Caddy Shack on them. 🧨🧨💣