Author Topic: Vegetable Garden Harvest  (Read 1995 times)

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
Re: Vegetable Garden Harvest
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 08:03:57 AM »
Norman,

I think you mentioned about have swiss chard growing from last year.  I just researched and on a second year of them coming up the swiss chard will be bitter.  So when planting, we have only done it for the one year.  When frost hits (I'm in Coastal New Jersey) in November or so, the plants are pulled out of the garden bed. 

Still haven't taken my pictures yet, trying to do that today, but we may have some rain.  :)

I'm going to try the red pepper flakes on the garden, I did on flower beds and it worked for the rabbits.  My luck my two dogs will like the red pepper flakes and eat my whole garden with it.  Haha  :)
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Roberts Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Offline Hillhunter4

• Learning as I Go!
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 08:17:59 AM »
Janet,
That was Tyler who said he had a Swiss Chard growing that survived winter. I plan on growing some this winter. I watch Row by Row on Youtube. They are in Georgia and they grow Swiss Chard almost year round.
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Black), Colonel Littman's Black Cross, CDD Blanc, CDD Roja, Calderone, Socorro Black, De La Roca, Black Celeste, Figoin/Verdino del Nord, RLBV, Hative d'argenteuil

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2021, 10:14:33 AM »
Sorry Norman, Tyler I hope you saw my comment to Norman which should have been meant for you.

Norman,  I'm sure in a warm temperature year around the Swiss Chard will grow. Unfortunately late fall and winter will kill the plants off here in New Jersey :)

WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Roberts Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2021, 04:05:23 PM »
Here is my garden.  So far only herbs, swiss chard, assorted lettuces and strawberries have been harvested.  We had a cool start for planting in Coastal New Jersey, followed by a lot of rain.  Temperatures are supposed to warm up again in the 80s in a few days.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2021, 04:42:24 PM »
Janet,

Great looking garden. 

Norman,

You telling me, we can grow Swiss chard during the summer?
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Hillhunter4

• Learning as I Go!
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2021, 10:23:15 AM »
Arturo,
Sorry for the delay, Hoss Tools has a row gardening page on YouTube. They post video updates from garden and have a live show every Thursday night. They are located in South Georgia Zone 8B. They sell seeds, so they trial many varieties and techniques. Interesting info that is applicable to our area. I do think I got Chard and Kale confused. They grow Kale almost year round.
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Black), Colonel Littman's Black Cross, CDD Blanc, CDD Roja, Calderone, Socorro Black, De La Roca, Black Celeste, Figoin/Verdino del Nord, RLBV, Hative d'argenteuil

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2021, 01:10:38 PM »
Norman and Arturo,

Swiss chard grows up until frost, if you are in a frost zone before winter.  I would think in a warmer climate where you both are you could start your seeds early in the ground when your weather starts to get warm - of if you are an all around warm climate - you can grow swiss chard.  As you cut the leaves, new leaves will start to grow.  So the more you cut, the more you get.

I think it has a sweeter taste than kale.  You can compare swiss chard to a sweeter tasting spinach type leaf plant.

Good luck if you both should try to grow it.  You really don't have to do anything to it - just water it, cut and eat.  :)

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2021, 03:39:04 PM »
Norman,

Thanks for the reply. 

Janet,

I am planning of planting it during the fall and eating it till it dies.  This is how I started my Kale.
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a