Author Topic: First banana flag in 2021  (Read 3975 times)

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
First banana flag in 2021
« on: June 28, 2021, 09:33:39 AM »
While looking at my trees I happen to notice my Double Mahoi had shot out a flag.  Now the waiting game.
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
Re: First banana flag in 2021
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 09:58:46 AM »
Arturo,

Nice banana tree?  Keep sending pictures and let me know - in my climate, I have never seen one.  I am intrigued :)  Good luck and hoping you get fruit for your smoothies!!
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Roberts Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 10:57:00 AM »
Janet,

I will.  Very excited cause I just added this variety to my yard.  My son has being asking me, “when are we getting bananas daddy?”
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 03:05:16 PM »
Arturo,

Hopefully it will be soon!!  Keep us posted.  I am intrigued.  I know I can't grow them in m area with our climate.  Send progress pictures! 
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Roberts Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 12:11:53 PM »
Arturo,

Hopefully it will be soon!!  Keep us posted.  I am intrigued.  I know I can't grow them in m area with our climate.  Send progress pictures!
Janet,

As soon the banana pod appears, I will take a pic.  The pod should appear any day now.  Now as for you growing bananas, there is a variety called “Truly Tiny”.  It’s stays small and can be grown in containers.  I have only read about them.  There is also a variety of dwarf Cavendish that only gets up to 4 ft. My dwarf cavendish is almost 6’ so I have the standard which get 6’ to 8’ tall

Louisiana, 9a

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 12:15:49 PM »
Arturo,

Sounds like a wonderful food garden that you are growing for you and your kids.  It's a wonderful thing to have them learn all about nature at any age.  They may take after their Daddy and grow their own food gardens one day.  You are doing great by them!!!

Offline opiem10

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 12:26:47 PM »
Arturo,
     Never did I imagine that growing edible bananas was possible in NJ.   But with Truly Tiny and Dwarf Cavendish, I may give them a try!    Even if they never fruit, they will give a nice tropical look at my house at thew Jersey Shore.   

And it looks like I can acquire young plants without breaking the bank.   
Wish List: Col de Dam Gegantina, Corky's Honey Delight, Exquisito, St. Martin, Thermalito

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 01:12:46 PM »
Arturo,

It seems you are giving John the "Banana Tree" fever in addition to his collection of fruit and fig trees.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 01:45:02 PM »
John,

I will warn you that people have gotten the wrong banana variety from online companies.  Just make sure it’s from a trustworthy vender.  Wish I had them to send you one. 

Janet,

I love seeing my family pick fresh fruits and vegetables from our yard.  I can’t wait to see their eyes when the bananas are ready. 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Hillhunter4

• Learning as I Go!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 05:44:44 PM »
Arturo,
Congratulations on the Bananas. I hope you get a great harvest. I am a little too far north for bananas to fruit. We can grow the plants but they die back every winter and do not fruit.
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Black), Colonel Littman's Black Cross, CDD Blanc, CDD Roja, Calderone, Socorro Black, De La Roca, Black Celeste, Figoin/Verdino del Nord, RLBV, Hative d'argenteuil

Offline opiem10

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 06:52:50 PM »
John,

I will warn you that people have gotten the wrong banana variety from online companies.  Just make sure it’s from a trustworthy vender.  Wish I had them to send you one. 

Janet,

I love seeing my family pick fresh fruits and vegetables from our yard.  I can’t wait to see their eyes when the bananas are ready.

Hi Arturo,
     I saw small plants for (Removed Word) at Florida Hill Nursery.   Apparently, they sell tissue cultured bananas.   Each is about $10 for a small start.  It'll be interesting to see if fruit develops when moving the banana tree indoors for the winter.
Wish List: Col de Dam Gegantina, Corky's Honey Delight, Exquisito, St. Martin, Thermalito

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 08:01:47 PM »
Are bananas growing in New Jersey????  Haha - I had to make a joke, but John if you are growing them, I wish you luck.  You do have a green thumb or two.  So I am sure they will be successful!!  Keep us posted, if you get one (or two).

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 10:39:22 AM »
Arturo,
Congratulations on the Bananas. I hope you get a great harvest. I am a little too far north for bananas to fruit. We can grow the plants but they die back every winter and do not fruit.
Norman,

I am not trying to convince you either way, I am just letting you know of my experiences so you can make your own decisions.  If you remember our temps dropped below 20 for nearly a week.  I covered this plant with plastic and the bottom with 8” of leaves.  I planted this variety in my yard at the end of June 2020.  We watered it and fed it and we’ll here we are.  Again I am only sharing my experiences.  I only had it covered with plastic when hell froze over. 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Hillhunter4

• Learning as I Go!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 07:33:48 PM »
Arturo
Yes I very much remember the freeze. We got down to 14deg one night. Our northern friends will laugh at that but it was cold. My mother in law has a banana and it had fruit a few years ago, so maybe i should try. Do bananas produce on current year growth?
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Black), Colonel Littman's Black Cross, CDD Blanc, CDD Roja, Calderone, Socorro Black, De La Roca, Black Celeste, Figoin/Verdino del Nord, RLBV, Hative d'argenteuil

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2021, 08:23:28 PM »
Hi Arturo,
     I saw small plants for (Removed Word) at Florida Hill Nursery.   Apparently, they sell tissue cultured bananas.   Each is about $10 for a small start.  It'll be interesting to see if fruit develops when moving the banana tree indoors for the winter.
John,

Banana plants go dormant normally when it drops below 50F, all growth stops till weather warms up.  I honestly believe you can make them fruit.  I started with one plant and that plant now has 4 pups that will produce next yr if everything goes well and I decide to keep them

Louisiana, 9a