Author Topic: First banana flag in 2021  (Read 3974 times)

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Re: First banana flag in 2021
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2021, 08:34:19 PM »
Arturo
Yes I very much remember the freeze. We got down to 14deg one night. Our northern friends will laugh at that but it was cold. My mother in law has a banana and it had fruit a few years ago, so maybe i should try. Do bananas produce on current year growth?
Norman,

The banana plant only produces fruit one time.  The plant will grow to a certain height and then puts out a pod that will open and bananas will come out of that.  The bananas will grow just like any other fruit. The shortest time that I know is 3 to 4 months for bananas to ripen.  I have also heard of some taking up to 8 months.  Once the plant gives the bananas that plant is finished and will die off.  I cut it down when I cut my nanars.  I cut the plant in half first then down to about 3 inches from ground after a week or 2.  Hope that helps if not I can explain it with my Mahoi that I just planted June 2020
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline opiem10

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2021, 09:33:14 PM »
Arturo, I am going to give them a try.   Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Wish List: Col de Dam Gegantina, Corky's Honey Delight, Exquisito, St. Martin, Thermalito

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 10:45:54 AM »
John,

I agree.  That is how I decided to start growing.  I had many people tell me I could not grow them cause it got too cold and they would die down every winter.  Fast forward to now and I now have 4 different varieties.  Will all of them me it and provide delicious fruit only time will tell.
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2021, 10:58:45 AM »
Yes indeed you will have bananas this year. Also watch because it's possible you don't get a second bloom from this variety. It takes a hundred and twenty days now to develop until Harvest. All varieties have what we call the mature height were they start to push bloom if you research this on your variety is 4 foot. Good work and John it's possible for you to grow bananas but you'd have to grow them in large containers and keep them active and put your pups and ground in the spring.

Offline opiem10

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2021, 12:44:32 PM »
I am going to give this a try next spring.   I have a little home construction going on this fall into winter and won't know what kind of warm winter storage space I will have.   :)Big pots just means I have to buy a few more resin half whiskey barrels.    :)   Figs will keep me busy in the interim. 

Wish List: Col de Dam Gegantina, Corky's Honey Delight, Exquisito, St. Martin, Thermalito

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2021, 11:12:03 PM »
JD,

I try to research as much as I can on any plant that I might want to get and plant in the backyard.  I try to find out how long it takes to fruit, sun requirements, chill hours, soil type(ph), fertilizer type and ripen time from flower.  I write all that in my journal that I started.  I also started to write when trees/plants flower and when they ripen.

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Hillhunter4

• Learning as I Go!
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2021, 10:17:37 AM »
Interesting info, I may have to give bananas a try.
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Black), Colonel Littman's Black Cross, CDD Blanc, CDD Roja, Calderone, Socorro Black, De La Roca, Black Celeste, Figoin/Verdino del Nord, RLBV, Hative d'argenteuil

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2021, 04:15:01 PM »
Norman,

I will have more information next yr when I start seeing what temps they will survive.  I had to cover them this yr curse of the extreme freeze and I had just got them.  I am not telling you not to proceed, I have no regrets cause I have gotten so many bananas for my family to enjoy.  Good luck with your endeavor

Louisiana, 9a

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2021, 01:19:16 PM »
Itís not very clear but the pod is out.  We got a storm last night so the ground is still saturated.  Sorry but Iím order for me to get a better pic, I would have to use a ladder but not safe at the moment.  I am posting to log when everything happen. 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2021, 01:28:54 PM »
Arturo
Thank you for posting the update pic and documenting the growth! Itís interesting to see the progress.
Henry
WL: Peace and satisfaction

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2021, 02:16:14 PM »
Henry,

I love it also.  I started a garden journal where I started writing everything down but I canít do pic but I can on here.  I guess I can always do an electronic journal. 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2021, 06:25:52 PM »
Arturo
Please keep posting here so we can join the journey! Iím wondering if my Truly Tiny will eventually develop any fruit but watching your progress letís me live vicariously through you!
Henry
WL: Peace and satisfaction

Offline Hillhunter4

• Learning as I Go!
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2021, 08:55:19 PM »
Arturo,
So that is the beginning of bananas?JD said 120 days to maturity. Is that from this point?
Iím excited for you
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Black), Colonel Littman's Black Cross, CDD Blanc, CDD Roja, Calderone, Socorro Black, De La Roca, Black Celeste, Figoin/Verdino del Nord, RLBV, Hative d'argenteuil

Offline Ashley

• Just Started Growing Figs
  • Thank You for Having Me
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2021, 10:51:33 AM »
Arturo

I wish you lots of success and hope it tastes amazing.  My wife has wanted bananas for some time.   I bought 2 from the markdown rack to give them a shot.
Wishlist:  Col de Dame Blanc, LSU Red, LSU Strawberry, LSU Black, Galicia Negra, Socorro Black

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2021, 04:45:51 PM »
Good luck to everyone trying banana trees!!

See what you started Arturo!! :)  You have followers.

I will have to see if John ever starts a banana tree in New Jersey.  I don't know if it would be too cold here.  I thought banana trees needed more of a tropical, warmer climate.
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Roberts Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black