Author Topic: Grapes  (Read 328 times)

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Grapes
« on: May 19, 2022, 07:45:58 PM »
So last year we got a grape vine(table grapes not muscadines).  We planted it in the ground and it took of.  No grapes last yr but this year is a whole lot different.  I really donít know how they will taste nor how we are going to keep the birds of them but itís great to have another fruit in the yard. 

Itís suppose to be a seeded grape but we are ok with that.  Of course now I am looking for other vines I can add to the collection. 

Posted close up photo of grapes.  They are still small. 
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
Re: Grapes
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 08:01:08 PM »
Congratulations Arturo. You can buy big size organza bags to protect your grapes. That's what I have done to my blueberries.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, St. Rita, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 08:06:46 PM »
Ben,

Thank you for that information.  Will have to get some
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline AtlantaFig

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 05:53:02 PM »
Arturo here is my video about organza bag.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, St. Rita, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 05:50:06 AM »
Ben,

Thank you for sharing that video.  Love the blueberry bush.  Beautiful blueberries.

Louisiana, 9a

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 04:25:45 PM »
Arturo,

Your grapes are beautiful! We have several varieties of muscadines, but we just added a few Concord, Mars and an unknown this year. I thought we were going to get at least one cluster on the Concord, but the deer came through and sampled one night! We sometimes use netting over small fruit. We rarely have bird trouble on the grapes, but the other small berries periodically get robbed.  I love Ben's idea for small crops, but when the clusters begin to multiply the bags may be difficult to keep up with. I'd love to hear how others prevent birds and deer from destroying their harvests. In the meantime, I think I may have some tuling around here. I may break out the sewing machine and make some bags!
Wish List: Tashkent; Imp. Celeste; Nixon Peace; I-258, Texas Peach, LSU O'Rourke, Thibodeaux, Scott's Yellow; heirloom varieties- Ocracoke Is, unknowns; Other: World's Best Mulberry

Offline AtlantaFig

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 10:40:19 AM »
LeConte, please break out the sewing machine and make some bags! Lol.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 06:16:05 PM »
Arturo,

Your grapes are beautiful! We have several varieties of muscadines, but we just added a few Concord, Mars and an unknown this year. I thought we were going to get at least one cluster on the Concord, but the deer came through and sampled one night! We sometimes use netting over small fruit. We rarely have bird trouble on the grapes, but the other small berries periodically get robbed.  I love Ben's idea for small crops, but when the clusters begin to multiply the bags may be difficult to keep up with. I'd love to hear how others prevent birds and deer from destroying their harvests. In the meantime, I think I may have some tuling around here. I may break out the sewing machine and make some bags!
I want to grow a seedless variety of grape.  Donít get me wrong, I like muscadines but not the rest of my family and I want fruits that my kids love.  I am always on the look out for another variety I can add to our yard. 

Yes, make you some bags

Louisiana, 9a