Author Topic: Pink Guava  (Read 964 times)

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Pink Guava
« on: August 23, 2022, 09:45:01 AM »
I bumped into my tree and knocked one of my guavas of the tree.  I have 2 potted in our patio area so I can bring them in during freezing temps.  The fruit is sooo fragrant that I can not do it justice by describing the smell.  I brought the fruit into the kitchen and it filled the kitchen and any room opened to the kitchen.  I canít wait for the next one

Weight    165 grams
Seed       Yes and really hard but I still love these fruits
Interior    Pink
Exterior   Yellowish/green
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Andrea

• Old Gardener, New to Figs
  • Northwest Arkansas Fig Lover
Re: Pink Guava
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 04:26:03 PM »
That looks wonderful - sounds like it smells even better.  I can't remember if I've ever had fresh guava before.  Seems like I'm confusing it with fresh papaya. What does it taste like? 
Wish List: The best tasting, cold-hardy, highly productive, non-wasp variety - whether I can pronounce it or not - and another 5 acres to plant figs on.

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 04:34:13 PM »
I heard about pineapple guava about two years ago but only learned of its popularity in my area this spring on a city garden tour. I had no idea there were so many different varieties, but as I've learned more, some sources say pineapple is the best. What are your thoughts? How would you describe the taste of this pink guava?
Wish List: Tashkent; Imp. Celeste; Nixon Peace; I-258, Texas Peach, LSU O'Rourke, Thibodeaux, Scott's Yellow; heirloom varieties- Ocracoke Is, unknowns; Other: World's Best Mulberry

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 06:54:59 PM »
That looks wonderful - sounds like it smells even better.  I can't remember if I've ever had fresh guava before.  Seems like I'm confusing it with fresh papaya. What does it taste like?
Andrea,

The smell hits you long before you even get close to it.  I love it. As for the taste, it has its own taste.  Some say they taste mango and strawberry.  I say it has its one flavor.  I love it.
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 07:05:36 PM »
I heard about pineapple guava about two years ago but only learned of its popularity in my area this spring on a city garden tour. I had no idea there were so many different varieties, but as I've learned more, some sources say pineapple is the best. What are your thoughts? How would you describe the taste of this pink guava?
LeConte,

Guavas are one of my favorite fruits.  I grew up eating them.  I have had white, creamish, yellow and of course pink.  I have never had a pineapple guava but I hope to change that either this year or next yr. To say a pineapple guava tastes better, well that is saying a lot for me.  I will tell you as soon as I taste one of my tree.  As for the taste of pink guava, they have their own flavor.  If you ever have a chance at tasting one go for it. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 03:19:46 PM by LaFigGwr2019 »

Louisiana, 9a

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 06:37:47 PM »
Arturo, you have encouraged me to grow Pink Guava. For years I have been thinking of growing Pink Guava and now I will grow one.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, St. Rita, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.

Online AnaFL

• Happy gardening!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 10:07:25 PM »
I like all guavas, however pineapple guava has a very unique taste that not everyone likes. I can't eat many of them... I recently harvested a white guava i grew from seed and on its 3rd year it fruited. I liked the refreshing like green apple taste and crunchy texture. Its a keeper for me.
WL: campaniere, cavaliere, lsu Scotts black,  de tres esplets, RGR

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 03:25:00 PM »
Arturo, you have encouraged me to grow Pink Guava. For years I have been thinking of growing Pink Guava and now I will grow one.
Ben,

I am glad cause they are amazing, in my opinion.  Now they canít take cold weather.  I have mine in a pot and have to care for it during winter.  Not trying to discourage, just giving you a heads up. I want to get other varieties.

Louisiana, 9a

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 03:28:36 PM »
I like all guavas, however pineapple guava has a very unique taste that not everyone likes. I can't eat many of them... I recently harvested a white guava i grew from seed and on its 3rd year it fruited. I liked the refreshing like green apple taste and crunchy texture. Its a keeper for me.
Ana,

Apple you say.  Hope you donít mind me asking, where did you get the seeds. I want to try growing some from seed.  I want to find a strawberry guava and try some of those seeds.

Louisiana, 9a

Offline jtrav

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 09:32:14 PM »
I have a strawberry guava and a lemon guava which is a yellow version of the strawberry one. They are
 only a year old and about 4' tall. The lemon one is about to bloom.  I'll try to air layer them for you.
Wish List: Campaniere

Online AnaFL

• Happy gardening!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2022, 09:19:12 PM »
Ana,

Apple you say.  Hope you donít mind me asking, where did you get the seeds. I want to try growing some from seed.  I want to find a strawberry guava and try some of those seeds.

White guava seeds came from
a guava i ate and liked . Strawberry guava seeds i bought from trade winds. Malaysian red, mexican cream, egyptian, colombian red were airlayered.
WL: campaniere, cavaliere, lsu Scotts black,  de tres esplets, RGR

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2022, 06:12:42 PM »
I have a strawberry guava and a lemon guava which is a yellow version of the strawberry one. They are
 only a year old and about 4' tall. The lemon one is about to bloom.  I'll try to air layer them for you.
Jake,

I will not turn your offer down.  Thank you.  If you want I can start one on my guava if you want one? 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2022, 06:21:37 PM »

White guava seeds came from a guava i ate and liked . Strawberry guava seeds i bought from trade winds. Malaysian red, mexican cream, egyptian, colombian red were airlayered.
Wow,

See now that is a collection.  Thank you for the place you got your seeds.  I was thinking of purchasing some different varieties and try growing the seeds that my kids like. 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline jtrav

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2022, 11:21:05 AM »
Jake,

I will not turn your offer down.  Thank you.  If you want I can start one on my guava if you want one?

Thanks for the offer but it's not necessary. This is my first attempt at air layering them so I'm not sure it will work.
I started the air layers on 8/31 and I'll let you know when I see some roots.
Wish List: Campaniere

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2022, 03:00:41 PM »
Thanks for the offer but it's not necessary. This is my first attempt at air layering them so I'm not sure it will work.
I started the air layers on 8/31 and I'll let you know when I see some roots.
Jake,

Thank you for the offer either way.  I killed a couple of branches when I first started air layering.  I have also killed some trying different ways or rooting the branches.  If not guava, please keep your WL updated.  Winter is coming....

Louisiana, 9a