Author Topic: Pink Guava  (Read 684 times)

Offline Andrea

• Old Gardener, New to Figs
  • Northwest Arkansas Fig Lover
Re: Pink Guava
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2022, 12:17:29 PM »
Yesterday when I was shopping at the grocery store I saw a package of guava!  I thought of you all and this discussion, so I bought them and couldn't wait to try them.  I sliced up one for lunch and am really impressed!  The smell is so much like perfume and the flavor was sweet enough with just a little tart to give it character.  I'm confused by how hard the seeds are, though.  They're tiny, but it felt like I was eating little BB pellets.  Should I scoop the center and seeds out first, or just prepare to chew harder?  I'm not ready to try growing guava yet (zone 6b might take a bit more work than I'm up for), but wow, my kitchen smelled fabulous this morning when I walked in.  So glad you posted about this, Arturo, or I would never have thought to buy them.
Wish List: The best tasting, cold-hardy, highly productive, non-wasp variety - whether I can pronounce it or not - and another 5 acres to plant figs on.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2022, 12:02:15 PM »
Yesterday when I was shopping at the grocery store I saw a package of guava!  I thought of you all and this discussion, so I bought them and couldn't wait to try them.  I sliced up one for lunch and am really impressed!  The smell is so much like perfume and the flavor was sweet enough with just a little tart to give it character.  I'm confused by how hard the seeds are, though.  They're tiny, but it felt like I was eating little BB pellets.  Should I scoop the center and seeds out first, or just prepare to chew harder?  I'm not ready to try growing guava yet (zone 6b might take a bit more work than I'm up for), but wow, my kitchen smelled fabulous this morning when I walked in.  So glad you posted about this, Arturo, or I would never have thought to buy them.
Andrea,

I am glad you tried them.  Did you get the white or pink interior ones?   Normally those are the only ones that they have in stores.  I love the smell, it brings me back to my childhood.  My great-grandparents backyard.  They had nearly a dozen and half were different varieties.  Always had fruits to eat all year round and the Christmas punch.  As for the seeded center, that really is up you.  Some remove the seeds and some eat them.  I eat them but I want to go to get some so I can try planting the seeds and see what I get.
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Andrea

• Old Gardener, New to Figs
  • Northwest Arkansas Fig Lover
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2022, 03:25:54 PM »
The ones I got from the store are yellow on the outside and white on the inside.  How do you make Christmas punch from them?  They are soft and delicious on the inside but not very juicy.  Are mine just dry because they've been shipped from Mexico and sat in warehouses too long?  Or is there a trick to juicing them?
Wish List: The best tasting, cold-hardy, highly productive, non-wasp variety - whether I can pronounce it or not - and another 5 acres to plant figs on.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2022, 07:42:31 PM »
The ones I got from the store are yellow on the outside and white on the inside.  How do you make Christmas punch from them?  They are soft and delicious on the inside but not very juicy.  Are mine just dry because they've been shipped from Mexico and sat in warehouses too long?  Or is there a trick to juicing them?
Andrea,

The water drink is made by blending guavas, 1 can of sweeten condensed milk and sugar to taste.  After well blended some people strain some donít.  All up to your taste.

Christmas drink: this drink has lots of different fruits.  Guava, orange, sugar cane and tejocotes.  Those are the basic fruits, other people add more fruits.  Boil water, cinnamon sticks and brown sugar.  After sugar and cinnamon has blended well together.  Now add fruits but only for short time like 30min.  Some people add tequila also.  Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 08:00:33 PM by LaFigGwr2019 »
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2022, 10:01:34 PM »
Arturo, you are an expert in Christmas drink. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, St. Rita, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2022, 10:36:41 PM »
Ben,

Thank you for the compliment.   I have seen my parents make it every Christmas.  Next time my mom comes to visit, I hope to make some.   

Louisiana, 9a

Offline jtrav

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2022, 09:04:07 PM »
Arturo,
I checked those air layers I set in August and no roots yet.
The branches were still good so I scraped them, put some clonex and covered them to try again. The strawberry one has a small root sucker so worst case I can probably separate it but probably need to wait till spring.  The lemon doesn't have any suckers but has about a dozen fruit on it.
If you have any tips on air layering guava I'm all ears.