Author Topic: August Giveaway - Enter by August 28  (Read 883 times)

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
Re: August Giveaway - Enter by August 28
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2022, 06:12:15 PM »
Thanks Arturo.  Excited to be growing such a unique back story on this fig.
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2022, 11:18:46 AM »
Congratulations Janet on your new fig. Hopefully next year you will have figs from it.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, St. Rita, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2022, 02:25:14 PM »
Thanks Ben!!  Excited to see the tree fruit, hopefully next year :)
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2022, 09:17:37 PM »
Andrea,

Thank you so much!!  My Bogddy Alfa Fig Tree just arrived around 3:33 pm today, 9/2/2022 in New Jersey :)

What a beautiful tree, so healthy!  The packing you did was amazing, the tree was so protected that it arrived perfectly and none of the leaves dried at all. 

Just amazing.

Janet

That's such a beautiful tree, Janet. I can't wait to hear what you think about it once you get fruit.
Wish List: Tashkent; Imp. Celeste; Nixon Peace; I-258, Texas Peach, LSU O'Rourke, Thibodeaux, Scott's Yellow; heirloom varieties- Ocracoke Is, unknowns; Other: World's Best Mulberry

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2022, 10:31:54 AM »
Thanks LeConte, the tree is doing great on my outside deck.  In New Jersey we are having the tail remnants of Hurricane/Tropical Ian Storm for a few day now.  Such strong winds and driving rains.  But all the fig tree are in pots and the smaller ones on the deck and the larger one are all over the yard in pots.  Some of them blew over with the wind.  Might be the end of any figs left on the trees.  So many were hard and green, probably they might not ripen, unless we get more heat and sun soon.  Fingers crossed, if not we got a decent amount of figs this year.

Offline Andrea

• Old Gardener, New to Figs
  • Northwest Arkansas Fig Lover
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2022, 09:25:03 AM »
Had coffee with Bogddy last week and she shared a picture of her harvest from last year.  The large figs in the front left and in the back are the "Bogddy's Alfa Unk" variety.  The smaller ones on the front right and first few rows of the middle are the Dobra Unk. The figs are in 6x6 egg crates.
Wish List: The best tasting, cold-hardy, highly productive, non-wasp variety - whether I can pronounce it or not - and another 5 acres to plant figs on.

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2022, 11:40:29 AM »
Andrea, thank you for showing the picture of the Bogddy figs!  Wow they are going to be great :)  Can't wait until next year for a, hopefully first year crop of the figs to try.  Did Bogddy say what type fig, honey or berry? And she was harvesting them in October? 

Offline Andrea

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2022, 11:35:20 AM »
Hi Janet,

On Wednesday, I picked Bogddy up from Fayetteville and brought her to our Fig Study site so she could see what we've been talking about and see how well the two varieties that she contributed are doing. She brought me a basketful of her ripe figs along with a couple egg crates full of them.  Her harvest this year was very low since she hand waters everything but didn't have the energy to do it in the heat all summer.  I gave away most of them to my gardening fig friends but have still stuffing myself with her figs for the past several days.  She gave me enough to actually make something with (jam, sauce, bread, etc) but, apparently, it doesn't seem to matter how many figs I have, all I want to do is eat them fresh.  I've been keeping them in the fridge, but separated from each other in the egg cartons, as she instructed.  She said they last longer that way.

Attached is a picture of several Bogddy's Alfa Unk figs that I just cut open (and now must eat ;D).  I would not say that they have a very strong berry flavor, but it doesn't qualify as just a honey or sugar fig either.  They are sweet, but not too sweet.  The large one doesn't look ripe on the inside (it did on the outside), but it tasted just as sweet as the ones that look much darker inside. They do have some seed crunch, but it seems only a few seeds per fig.  I'm not a super taster, so I can't give a better explanation of flavor than that.  The large fig in the photo weighed in at 42g, and the smaller ones were around 20g.  I ate most of the larger ones first and they averaged between 40-45g with the biggest weighing in at 50g. 

She said that her harvest usually began the second or third week of September and lasted about 3 weeks.  Some years it began earlier, some years later.  She did get ripe figs earlier than that, but she was harvesting for market (at the co-op) and wouldn't bother to go to town unless she had at least 3 trays (90 figs) from about a dozen plants.  She would harvest on Day 1 and leave the figs out on the counter (in the egg cartons) covered with a dish towel. Then she would harvest on Day 2 and cover them again.  On Day 3, she would harvest again and then take them to market.  So the plants seem to ripen the largest harvest during that 3-week period.

Hope that helps you know what to expect.

Blessings,
Andrea

Blessings,
Andrea
Wish List: The best tasting, cold-hardy, highly productive, non-wasp variety - whether I can pronounce it or not - and another 5 acres to plant figs on.

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2022, 02:50:31 PM »
Andrea, thank you so much for all of the details.  Now I can't wait for them to ripen, hopefully next year.

The purpose of the towel after picking them?

I am glad you enjoyed the figs she brought to you.  They look delicious :)

The Bogddy Alfa Unk fig tree is still outside on my deck and it is doing very well.  Had a few cooler nights, but sun and in the 60's right now.  We are supposed to have frost for a few days - so my little sticks that are now baby fig trees will be going into the garage.  I just took them out of the ground and put them in pots.

Thank you again :)

Janet

Offline Andrea

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2022, 05:47:23 PM »
The towel was likely just to keep the flies off the figs.  She would set the figs on the table on her deck (second story from the downhill side of the house) rather than in her kitchen.

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2022, 06:30:58 PM »
That clarifies it.  Thank you :)

Just got done putting my fragile babies that I planted directly in the yard - made a nursery for the cuttings.  Potted them and put them in the garage.  They are predicting morning frost the next few days.