Author Topic: Propagating Blueberries  (Read 305 times)

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
Propagating Blueberries
« on: September 20, 2022, 09:10:08 PM »
I checked the files and didn't see anything about blueberries. Does anyone on the forum have experience with propagating blueberries? I've grown a few varieties for several years. One or two I've divided from shoots that sprung up from the ground. I would like to try my hand at propagating other ways. I saw a video where someone took green cuttings in the spring and stuck them in soil. I wanted to know if anyone here has had experience with this and would share their technique.  I'd also like to know how long it takes from rooted cutting to fruit production. Just curious.
Wish List: Tashkent; Imp. Celeste; Nixon Peace; I-258, Texas Peach, LSU O'Rourke, Thibodeaux, Scott's Yellow; heirloom varieties- Ocracoke Is, unknowns; Other: World's Best Mulberry

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Re: Propagating Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 11:32:25 AM »
I checked the files and didn't see anything about blueberries. Does anyone on the forum have experience with propagating blueberries? I've grown a few varieties for several years. One or two I've divided from shoots that sprung up from the ground. I would like to try my hand at propagating other ways. I saw a video where someone took green cuttings in the spring and stuck them in soil. I wanted to know if anyone here has had experience with this and would share their technique.  I'd also like to know how long it takes from rooted cutting to fruit production. Just curious.
Leconte,

I too was thinking about it but have not tried.  I did the air-layer method.  I have read that the soil has to be acidic for the cuttings to take which is understandable cause blueberries love acidic soil.  I also read that it would take up to 4 months for the cuttings to root.  I can not verify not deny that, I am just letting you know what I had read during my research.  I want to find ways to multiply mine quicker and also spread them around my yard.  Good luck, I might try next year.
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Andrea

• Old Gardener, New to Figs
  • Northwest Arkansas Fig Lover
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 03:37:46 PM »
Last summer I tried propagating a couple of blueberry cuttings that broke off while I was working around the bushes.  They did not root for me.  After I broke off the branches (accidentally), I gave them a clean cut on the end, dipped them in Take Root, then stuck them in small pots (2 inch by 2 inch by 3-4 inches tall) that were filled with a 66/33 mix of moistened potting mix/perlite.  One or two had a plastic bag over them to keep the humidity in.  I set these in my shed, hot but out of the sun.  Then I forgot about them.  When I remembered a couple of months later, they were dead, leafless sticks.

How much of the failure was my prep/lack of attention versus the wrong time of year or wrong parts of the plant (too woody), I really don't know.  Most of my blueberry varieties are still under patent so I am hesitant to intentionally propagate them, even if it's just for myself.
Wish List: The best tasting, cold-hardy, highly productive, non-wasp variety - whether I can pronounce it or not - and another 5 acres to plant figs on.

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 09:41:35 PM »
Leconte,

I too was thinking about it but have not tried.  I did the air-layer method.  I have read that the soil has to be acidic for the cuttings to take which is understandable cause blueberries love acidic soil.  I also read that it would take up to 4 months for the cuttings to root.  I can not verify not deny that, I am just letting you know what I had read during my research.  I want to find ways to multiply mine quicker and also spread them around my yard.  Good luck, I might try next year.

I thought about air-layering as well. How did that turn out for you. There were many things I didn't get to try this year, because I was under the weather. I feel like I'm still trying to catch up after three months.

I had decent luck rooting muscadines, but it can be tricky. Most of mine have rooted in a "set it and forget it" sorta way. I was curious about whether air-layer would work, but didn't get a chance to set one this summer.

I guess once you begin experimenting with one thing, there's always something else to pique your interest.
Wish List: Tashkent; Imp. Celeste; Nixon Peace; I-258, Texas Peach, LSU O'Rourke, Thibodeaux, Scott's Yellow; heirloom varieties- Ocracoke Is, unknowns; Other: World's Best Mulberry

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 09:49:56 PM »
Andrea,

It sounds like you had the makings of a viable experiment going on. Too often I forget about the smaller things I have going on when my time and attention are devoted to the larger projects. I've found logging every tree, plant, cutting or sprig on the property helps...to a degree. It's getting better, but making time to circle back is sometimes an issue.

I think I read somewhere that softwood cuttings are the most reliable. I'm going to see what Arturo says about air-layering. This is my preferred method of propagating. My heart breaks when I have a failed cutting.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 07:49:29 PM »
LeConte,

I only air layered one time.  I used peat inside my air layer ball and left it till I could see roots.  I did not pay any attention to anything.  I just wanted to see if it would work.  I wanted to do more this year but did lot start any.  Will try next year, hopefully.
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 01:44:51 PM »
LeConte,

I only air layered one time.  I used peat inside my air layer ball and left it till I could see roots.  I did not pay any attention to anything.  I just wanted to see if it would work.  I wanted to do more this year but did lot start any.  Will try next year, hopefully.

Good enough. Thanks for sharing your experiment. I will definitely try a few next spring and see what happens.

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 06:35:31 PM »
All of you have now made me think of propagating blueberries.  I love blueberries!!!  Blueberries are our State Fruit in New Jersey.  Where I live there is a lot of sandy soil and they grow best in New Jersey that way.

I wonder if a cutting stuck in the ground would take.  Might have to try something like that next year. 

Thanks for the idea :)

Good luck everyone.

Janet
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Roberts Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black