Author Topic: Today's Harvest (Sept 23, 2022)  (Read 422 times)

Offline opiem10

Today's Harvest (Sept 23, 2022)
« on: September 23, 2022, 05:50:04 PM »
This year, my figs are developing very late due to the mid-April freeze that killed all the green growth on many of my larger trees.  That freeze also killed a few of my 2 gallon varieties that were exposed to 26 degree nighttime temperatures.  I already purchased a portable greenhouse for the spring of 2023, so I don't have a repeat of this year.

Over the past two weeks or so, some of my early varieties finally started producing ripe figs.   And more varieties have begun to show signs of figs swelling.   I hope we get some warm weather into the middle of October so that I get as many figs to harvest as possible.   

Varieties I have tried for the first time include Col de Dame Noir and White Greek.   Both are outstanding on one year old trees and will definitely be on my list of 35 keepers (when I cull my collection).   I will even be looking to acquire more cuttings of the White Greek variety this winter (from GreenFig on the bidding site) as the figs are big, jammy, and full of moderate berry flavor.   The CDD Noir was big and a bit sweeter than the White Greek but not as large.   Both had small or no open eye.

I attach a picture of my harvest today which includes figs from the following varieties:  Chicago Hardy, Azores Dark, Red Lebanese Bekka Valley, Dr Clark, Golden Riverside, Ben's Golden Rainbow, CDD Noir, White Greek, Sodus Sicilian, Yellow Lebanese, Takoma Violet, and Strawberry Verte.
Wish List: Col de Dam Gegantina, Corky's Honey Delight, Exquisito, St. Martin, Thermalito

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
Re: Today's Harvest (Sept 23, 2022)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 12:26:05 AM »
That looks like a beautiful harvest. From the list, I can see that there are varied flavor profiles represented. So, were they devoured right after the photo was taken or did you have some exciting dish or concoction planned?
Wish List: Tashkent; Imp. Celeste; Nixon Peace; I-258, Texas Peach, LSU O'Rourke, Thibodeaux, Scott's Yellow; heirloom varieties- Ocracoke Is, unknowns; Other: World's Best Mulberry

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 10:29:12 AM »
John that was a good harvest.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, St. Rita, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 02:16:35 PM »
John,

Nice harvest for a late start this year.  I am glad that they are starting to ripen for you to enjoy.  Hopefully in NJ we get our warmer weather before the cold really sets in.  I also have a lot of figs that are larger and hard, green variety figs.  Fingers crossed we get to try the rest of our crop.

WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Offline opiem10

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 04:09:00 PM »
That looks like a beautiful harvest. From the list, I can see that there are varied flavor profiles represented. So, were they devoured right after the photo was taken or did you have some exciting dish or concoction planned?

LeConte, These figs were used to make a maple fig tart.   Awesome with some mascarpone, confectioners sugar, and heavy cream spread that melted on the warm tart. 
Wish List: Col de Dam Gegantina, Corky's Honey Delight, Exquisito, St. Martin, Thermalito

Offline Andrea

• Old Gardener, New to Figs
  • Northwest Arkansas Fig Lover
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 02:23:08 PM »
These figs were used to make a maple fig tart.   Awesome with some mascarpone, confectioners sugar, and heavy cream spread that melted on the warm tart.

Recipe? Asking for a hungry friend who loves figs.... ;)
Wish List: The best tasting, cold-hardy, highly productive, non-wasp variety - whether I can pronounce it or not - and another 5 acres to plant figs on.

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 10:38:48 AM »
Yes John, I like Andrea, would love the recipe.  Sounds so delicious :)  Thank you in advance.
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 12:33:14 PM »
John,

Great looking selection of fig varieties.  Very happy for you that you got to taste your hard work you put into your plants.
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a