Author Topic: My Figs Are Ripening Even With Frost  (Read 249 times)

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
My Figs Are Ripening Even With Frost
« on: October 29, 2022, 12:45:06 PM »
Hello everyone. I hope you all are doing good. I want to share this video about my figs ripening after experiencing frost.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, St. Rita, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.

Offline opiem10

Re: My Figs Are Ripening Even With Frost
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 07:03:14 PM »
Ben,   Thanks for the video. 

I have been picking a number of figs after we got some serious overnight freezes.   I never thought they would be good, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Wish List: Col de Dam Gegantina, Corky's Honey Delight, Exquisito, St. Martin, Thermalito

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 02:24:15 PM »
Great video again Ben!!  I always look forward to them.  I learn something new each time.  Glad your figs produced so well.
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Offline AtlantaFig

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 10:08:24 PM »
You are welcome John and Janet. It is good to encourage others.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, St. Rita, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.

Offline Andrea

• Old Gardener, New to Figs
  • Northwest Arkansas Fig Lover
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 09:58:24 AM »
Ben, what do you do with your figs during the winter?  If you've told us, I have forgotten already.  Do you bring them inside or leave them out all year round?
Wish List: The best tasting, cold-hardy, highly productive, non-wasp variety - whether I can pronounce it or not - and another 5 acres to plant figs on.

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 08:10:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing this, Ben. I have a few trees that did not fruit until late July. I didn't think I would taste the fruit, but here we are at the end of October. We had an early unexpected frost about two weeks ago. I brought the trees in that had fruit on them, but the frost did not damage any of the other trees left outside. I had an LSU Gold ripe a few fruit, but the first one did not taste so good. I let the one fall of the tree. We'll try it and see how it tastes. Either way,  I won't give up on it quite yet. I also have VdB and Little Miss Figgy that should be ripening soon.
Wish List: Tashkent; Imp. Celeste; Nixon Peace; I-258, Texas Peach, LSU O'Rourke, Thibodeaux, Scott's Yellow; heirloom varieties- Ocracoke Is, unknowns; Other: World's Best Mulberry

Offline TXWatson

• ArkLaTex / 8a
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 12:12:18 PM »
Still ripening a few figs on my petit negra. It dipped down to 30 a couple weeks ago so all my leaves are gone. Only problem is that it's pushing new leaves and I know it's only a matter of time before we get a real frost here.
Want: Any CDD variety

Offline AtlantaFig

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 09:20:47 PM »
Ben, what do you do with your figs during the winter?  If you've told us, I have forgotten already.  Do you bring them inside or leave them out all year round?

Andrea, I am in zone 7b and I leave my fig trees outside all year long.

Offline AtlantaFig

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 09:24:57 PM »
Thanks for sharing this, Ben. I have a few trees that did not fruit until late July. I didn't think I would taste the fruit, but here we are at the end of October. We had an early unexpected frost about two weeks ago. I brought the trees in that had fruit on them, but the frost did not damage any of the other trees left outside. I had an LSU Gold ripe a few fruit, but the first one did not taste so good. I let the one fall of the tree. We'll try it and see how it tastes. Either way,  I won't give up on it quite yet. I also have VdB and Little Miss Figgy that should be ripening soon.

LeConte, I'm glad you are still getting ripe figs. What I'm doing now is as the figs ripe, I store them in the freezer for fig jam.