Author Topic: 2022 Fall Fig Cutting Season Has Begun  (Read 289 times)

Offline opiem10

2022 Fall Fig Cutting Season Has Begun
« on: November 01, 2022, 11:26:14 AM »
In central NJ, we've had a few days of frost and one good night of freeze.   This has put an end to the 2022 growing season but has also kick started the fall cutting season.  I have harvested a couple unwanted branches off my Burgan Unknown, LSU-156, and an UNKNOWN Italian which I bought under the name "DaVinci Code", as the mother tree is currently growing on the property which was Leonardo DaVinci's childhood home.  Over the coming weeks, I'll continue to harvest branches and attempt to root the cuttings.

After growing figs for 5 years now, this will be the first time where the majority of my cuttings come from my own stock and not from outside sources.   This fall, I hope only to purchase cuttings of the White Greek variety (because it has been so good on a one year old tree) and New York City heirlooms if the provider over the past few years still makes them available.

Wish List: Col de Dam Gegantina, Corky's Honey Delight, Exquisito, St. Martin, Thermalito

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
Re: 2022 Fall Fig Cutting Season Has Begun
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 10:18:11 AM »
John,
Sounds like you had a great fig growing season!

I too had a great growing season this year and my trees are now two years old and a few were three.  I still have a few figs growing and I am hoping with the warm weather this week into the weekend in NJ will have them ripen.

Most of my trees have lost leaves and some are still yellow and hanging on. 

Hopefully when my trees go to sleep - I will be able to take cuttings off of my "mother trees".  I had a few with green skin and red interiors that were exceptional in taste, which I will try to air layer in April. 

This year weather wise in my are of NJ was very hot, and I kept with a great fertilizing routine thanks to you and Ben's advice.  My trees in 5 gallon pails have grown so huge, they will have to be trimmed.  I hope they fit in the garage for the winter :)
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Offline opiem10

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 03:17:26 PM »
Today, I took cuttings from my Col de Dame Mutante, Col de Dame Noir, and Buzzone Nero mother trees.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get some successes from these varieties.   Only time will tell.
Wish List: Col de Dam Gegantina, Corky's Honey Delight, Exquisito, St. Martin, Thermalito

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 07:15:27 PM »
John,

Those trees went dormant already in your area?

Mine haven't yet.... I think they will think it's Summer again - with the temperatures in the 70's the next few days.

Poor confused fig trees.
WL:  Black Jack, Black Genoa, LSU Red, Golden Rainbow, BNR, LSU Strawberry, Unk Burgan, CDD Noir, CDD Blanc, LSU Black Mutante DC-7, Col.Littman's Black Cross, Eastchester Black Unk., Cavaliere, Petite Negra, Pastiliere, Marteneca Rimada, Figoin, Zingerella, Socorro Black

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 08:56:10 PM »
John,

Your post is very encouraging. The trees I have been able to acquire over the course of the year are all way to small to harvest cuttings yet. I look forward to the day when I can propagate from my own trees.

You have really put together a nice collection. I'm a sucker for heirlooms. I've collected many tomato, collard, and okra seeds just because of the stories behind them. I am obsessed with discovering whether they are as good as that family or individual claims! It's bad. I know. Trees are way bigger and more permanent than an annual vegetable plant. I guess it is just as easy to pull it up and say, "Well, I won't grow that one again." The time investment it takes to come to that decision is much more complicated for a tree.
Wish List: Tashkent; Imp. Celeste; Nixon Peace; I-258, Texas Peach, LSU O'Rourke, Thibodeaux, Scott's Yellow; heirloom varieties- Ocracoke Is, unknowns; Other: World's Best Mulberry

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 09:27:42 PM »
Hi John, this winter I'm going to buy less cuttings compare to last winter.
Wishlist: Figoin, Socorro Black, CDD Blanc, St. Rita, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, BNR, Giant Brown Turkey, Mutant Fig, White Lebanese.

Offline opiem10

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 06:39:44 PM »
Well, today I was checking the moisture levels in my fig pop bags and I noticed three cuttings have already pushed roots which are visible on the wall of the bag.   Two cuttings with roots were of the LSU-156 (one of my favorite honey figs) variety while the other was a DaVinci Code (my favorite Adriatic fig) cutting.   This is after only 18 days.

In the past, I have not tried to root many cuttings using the Fig Pop method, but space limitations will require that I use this method more than my preferred shoebox method.   I hope these early results are signs of good things to come.   I have about 50-60 cuttings in rooting medium and will start a second batch later in the winter after success or failure with this first batch.

I know----patience, patience, patience.   It's just so hard in the Northeast, where the winters are long and cold.   

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 03:45:37 PM »
Congratulations John, looks like this might be your new quick rooting method yet!!!  Hoping all root for you as you move forward with your cuttings.

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 08:34:35 AM »
John,

Since you shared that you have so many cuttings set for rooting and your winter is quite long, could you share your process for transitioning these cuttings to pots and how you nurture them throughout the winter? I successfully started several cuttings last winter with beautiful roots. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep them growing through the entire winter. It's devastating to lose them after seeing them sprout so beautifully.

Middleton
Wish List: Tashkent; Imp. Celeste; Nixon Peace; I-258, Texas Peach, LSU O'Rourke, Thibodeaux, Scott's Yellow; heirloom varieties- Ocracoke Is, unknowns; Other: World's Best Mulberry

Offline opiem10

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 07:23:18 PM »
John,

Since you shared that you have so many cuttings set for rooting and your winter is quite long, could you share your process for transitioning these cuttings to pots and how you nurture them throughout the winter? I successfully started several cuttings last winter with beautiful roots. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep them growing through the entire winter. It's devastating to lose them after seeing them sprout so beautifully.

Middleton

Hi LeConte, Transitioning rooted cuttings from the shoeboxes to a large Rubbermaid container has been frustrating for me too.  I try to shake off most (90%) of the coir from the roots.  I try to let the cuttings get a very well formed cluster of roots before up potting.  After shaking off most of the coir, I up pot into 4 x 4 x 9 mini tree pots, which have been filled half way with barely moist and very well draining soil media.  I set the cutting in place and very gently fill the pot with additional moist soil.   I then place it in the tall Rubbermaid tub, cover with a see through lid, and place a light on the lid.  I mist once or twice daily to keep the humidity level high.   After 3-4 days, I barely crack the lid to allow more transfer of air but to also keep as much moisture as I can in the tub.  I only add water when the cutting shows very early signs of wilting.

When I up pot using the Fig Pops, I seem to have less loss as the cuttings rooted in a far less humid environment.  When the 4 x 16 bag has a good root mass, I fill a 4 x 4 x 9 mini tree pot about one third the way with barely moist soil media.  I carefully cut along the bottom seam of the bag and up one side of the bag and hold the cutting on its side (with the intact side of the bag on the bottom), place the cutting into the mini tree pot which is laying at a 45 degree angle, fill with soil to the top, and then tug on the top of the bag to remove it from the mini tree pot.   With no bottom and one side cut, this is relatively easy.  Into the tall Rubbermaid tub it then goes.   As above, I mist once or twice daily to keep humidity high in the Rubbermaid tub.  I have never used bottom heat on the up potted cuttings but I may try this year to see if my success rate goes up after up potting.

After up potting, the most important step follows:  PRAY

Offline Andrea

• Old Gardener, New to Figs
  • Northwest Arkansas Fig Lover
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 01:30:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing your method of up potting. The first year I propagated figs, I went from fig pop bags to 1 gallon pots in a sunny window and didn't lose any (had about 50). The second year, I did the same thing and lost between 25-30%.  Still don't know what went wrong the second year.  Did I just have beginner's luck that first year?  Was I just working with really hardy varieties that were hard to kill? No idea. This year, I'll add John's most important step and will see if that increases the survival rate.
Wish List: The best tasting, cold-hardy, highly productive, non-wasp variety - whether I can pronounce it or not - and another 5 acres to plant figs on.

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2022, 12:08:56 PM »
Thanks for sharing, John. I don't plan to attempt very many this year, but I will definitely keep your tips close in mind. Especially the last one! Agreed, Andrea. Maybe that was the missing element all along!  :)  I really love learning from this group.

Offline opiem10

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2022, 09:26:48 AM »
It looks like my attempts to root using the fig pop method have been less than stellar.   While I got several DaVinci Code, LSU-156, and Burgan UNK to root, the "gentle" bottom heat looks like it cooked a vast majority of the cuttings.   This, despite putting towels between the heating pad and the Rubbermaid tubs.   I guess seedling mats without a thermostat are just too hot.   Back to my tried and true double shoebox method which looks to be working well with about a dozen Vasilika Black cuttings.   The transition from the shoebox, with nearly 100% humidity, to the mini tree pots in the Rubbermaid containers, with much lower humidity, is the challenging step in that process.

I am not sure which is more frustrating, killing the cuttings before they root or losing them after they have rooted and been up potted.

Offline jtrav

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2022, 09:44:11 AM »
You can get a heat mat thermostat on amazon for under 20 bucks.
I've had excellent results with a thermostat controlled heat mat under fig pops in a milk crate or other container.   

Offline opiem10

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2022, 06:42:17 PM »
You can get a heat mat thermostat on amazon for under 20 bucks.
I've had excellent results with a thermostat controlled heat mat under fig pops in a milk crate or other container.

Jake,
    As my seedling mats fail over time, I will definitely be replacing them with thermostat models.   Live and learn.