Author Topic: Bark Damage  (Read 111 times)

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
Bark Damage
« on: November 19, 2022, 08:14:17 AM »
Good morning. I'm leaning toward the expertise in this group to help me with yet another question. I was moving some of my prized trees under a year old into the garage in prep for a hard freeze. I noticed this one tree with bark damage. It looks like something has been gnawing at the trunk of this potted tree, or could it be weather damage? No other trees look like this.  The diameter of this trunk is less than two inches thick. The tree was rooted from a cutting in the winter. Does anyone know what might be going on here, and what I might do to prevent it or protect the tree from further damage?
Wish List: Tashkent; Imp. Celeste; Nixon Peace; I-258, Texas Peach, LSU O'Rourke, Thibodeaux, Scott's Yellow; heirloom varieties- Ocracoke Is, unknowns; Other: World's Best Mulberry

Offline opiem10

Re: Bark Damage
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 10:01:37 PM »
Hi LeConte,  It appears there may have been some die back in the area around a previous leaf node.  I don't believe there is anything you can do right now, but in the spring, I would bury the plant deeper in your soil mix and let new roots grow from above the injured area.   I had something similar to this happen to my CDD Mutante.  I don't know why this happens but figs are resilient so don't give up hope.
Wish List: Col de Dam Gegantina, Corky's Honey Delight, Exquisito, St. Martin, Thermalito

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
Re: Bark Damage
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 07:29:53 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, John. I appreciate the suggestion of burying it. I don't know why I didn't think of that before.
Wish List: Tashkent; Imp. Celeste; Nixon Peace; I-258, Texas Peach, LSU O'Rourke, Thibodeaux, Scott's Yellow; heirloom varieties- Ocracoke Is, unknowns; Other: World's Best Mulberry