Author Topic: How to store dormant cuttings throughout winter  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Figs_Italy

• Welcome !!
How to store dormant cuttings throughout winter
« on: September 22, 2019, 10:55:20 PM »
Hi everyone, i started this fig hobby last year in the late September. At first, the cutting grew vigorously. Then i moved them indoor next to heat (62F) during winter and due to inconsistent temperature, they died. This winter, i would like to obtain some cuttings and store them in the refrigerator until next spring. My question is, how do i store them so that they don't mold or dry up?
Is it better to keep them in a clear plastic bottle or opaque glass bottle? Completely sealed or should I make few holes on the cap. Keep completely dry or should i fill a little water at the base, or moist sphagnum moss?

Thanks for your advice!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 10:59:23 PM by Figs_Italy »
Wish list: BNR, I-258

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
Re: How to store dormant cuttings throughout winter
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 11:33:39 PM »
We have a little problem trying to follow what happened to your cuttings. Are you saying they were vigorous they broke bud and you had stems and leaves growing? Or did they break bud and never had roots and died?

I have a hoop house out here that in the winter time sometimes it maintains that night between 45 to 50 degrees don't have plants dying in it that's why I'm asking. Sometimes it's better to find out what happened and solve the problem and don't repeat it.

Offline Figs_Italy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 11:56:24 PM »
At first, they were growing vigorously with large leaves. Two weeks after it was moved indoor, leaves started to wilt and eventually dropped. Another two weeks past, stem looked dehydrated but soil was wet, so i pulled it up from the soil and it had no roots around the trunk.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 10:17:22 AM »
Figs_Italy,

I understand you did not see roots when you pull the dead plant up but did you ever see any roots?   I mean in the beginning before it started to die?   The cutting has enough nourishment on it to keep buds/new growth alive for a little while but not for too long with out roots to take in new nourishments.  I hope that makes sense and that is why the question is did you see roots in the beginning?
WL:  Thermalito, CdD Mutante, LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Mutuant, UCR 187-25, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 11:20:16 AM »
Your cuttings actually just broke bud and g r e w leaves on it but they don't sound like they ever rooted in which happens quite a bit. Since you had them outside there's enough Heat to promote growth.

As far as storing cuttings you can put them in the bottom of the crisper in the refrigerator Rolled up and some newspapers that have been misted to contain a little moisture. Other people vacuum seal them lots of ways to store cuttings

Offline Figs_Italy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 12:17:03 PM »
Your cuttings actually just broke bud and g r e w leaves on it but they don't sound like they ever rooted in which happens quite a bit. Since you had them outside there's enough Heat to promote growth.

I think you are right, the roots probably not established though it had palm size leaves.

As far as storing cuttings you can put them in the bottom of the crisper in the refrigerator Rolled up and some newspapers that have been misted to contain a little moisture. Other people vacuum seal them lots of ways to store cuttings

How do i vacuum seal? That sounds like a great idea.
Can i roll up with napkins/sphag moss and seal it inside a bottle? Some people said it molds.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 12:20:00 PM by Figs_Italy »

Offline THB1961

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 03:22:17 PM »
Most people root the cuttings in the Winter so that the plants are ready for the warm weather.

Wrap the cuttings in paper towels or news paper spray with mist and put them in a zip lock bag. when sealing the bag force as much air out as you can and then put in the crisper of your fridg.
WL:Orphan, Col de Dame Blanca/Negra,  Louisiana Lightning, Cajun Gold, LSU Red, EXP-24
Yellow Longneck,  Black Ishia,  Col. Littman, Cravens Craving, Emalyns purple, Pink Jerusalem, Stellato,  Ponte Tresa,  Afghan-E, Edith`s Raspberry Jam,

Offline Figs_Italy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 03:48:41 PM »
Thanks, thatís really helpful!
Will try half/half this winter just in case.