Author Topic: All winners need to read this for care of the new fig trees ! !  (Read 7618 times)

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Re: All winners need to read this for care of the new fig trees ! !
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 03:40:58 PM »
Thanks for the instructions. I'm still new to all of this.  Is 1-1-1 the type of fertilizer? Is there a certain brand that is recommended? I did a search and I'm still confused. Explain it to me like I'm a third grader please?
No certain brand.  Whatever you can find that is close to that.  Just keep in mind that your going to be using milder portions cause of how sensitive the plant is.  If you can find 1-1-1 but find a 3-3-3, get that and just use a qrt of the recommended portions.  How this helps.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline GiGi53

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 05:07:39 PM »
Thank you
WL, LSU Varieties, Black mission, Texas Everbearing,Peter's Honey Fig,Celeste

Offline opiem10

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 05:32:40 PM »
HiGigi53,
     The 1-1-1 refers to the % of total nitrogen, available phosphate, and soluble potash in the fertilizer being applied.   As LaFigGwr2019 stated, young fig plants are sensitive to the buildup of fertilizer salts.   For this reason, many of the more experienced members use these low concentration formulas.  Check out the Clonex Clone Solution on line.  A quart of this liquid costs about $20, but it goes a long, long way.  I believe this is the fertilizer of choice for Steve (megojoe).

And don't feel bad about asking questions.   We all have a lot to share and learn ourselves.
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline Swamplife

• Think you can't change the world? Eat a raw bat.
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 06:01:50 PM »
HiGigi53,
     The 1-1-1 refers to the % of total nitrogen, available phosphate, and soluble potash in the fertilizer being applied.   As LaFigGwr2019 stated, young fig plants are sensitive to the buildup of fertilizer salts.   For this reason, many of the more experienced members use these low concentration formulas.  Check out the Clonex Clone Solution on line.  A quart of this liquid costs about $20, but it goes a long, long way.  I believe this is the fertilizer of choice for Steve (megojoe).

And don't feel bad about asking questions.   We all have a lot to share and learn ourselves.
I learn something every day. And sometimes my memory is jogged by reading a post like this one
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, BB-10,LSU Gold, LSU Thibodaux, LSU Jack Lily, LSU O'Rourke, UCR 184-15,Colonel Litman's Black Cross, Orphan fig, Adriatic JH, Ice Cream Banana, any variety banana,

Offline Figs_Italy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 10:09:00 PM »
Great instruction, young cuttings are very sensitive to temperature shock, a lot of my fig cuttings died this winter due to this reason. I have also been advised to water succulents and orchids from the bottom of the pot up, i finally know why ::)
Wish list: BNR, I-258

Offline LulaLeyNC

• Imagine
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2020, 11:40:58 PM »
Thanks for this information. Useful not just for winners, maybe not even just for newbies.

For me,I think itís not so much that Iím dumb, but more about having to learn a new language (fig) at the same time as learning a new skill set to take care of plants that are unfamiliar.

And then thereís my idiocy of being reluctant to ask questions. So silly.

Iím glad for the forbearance and generosity of the people on this site, as I intend to ask lots of stupid questions.  ;D
7a Wish list
Yummy varieties that can take mountain summer humidity better than I can. 🙄 Will container grow. Letís see, a Kadota in memory of my crazy Mom, who loved them (canned). Conadria, Buzzone Nero, Hollier, Smith, I-258, Fico Nero, Brooklyn White,...

Offline TXFIG

• Welcome !!
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2020, 02:03:08 PM »
Thanks for all the info ! Really learning from you guys !!
Italian 258, LSU Red, LSU Scott's Black, Socorro Blk, Turca, Italian Blk, Blk Ischia, *JD's Giant  Negra, Smith, Sangue, Coll De Dama Rimada,  Ischia Black.                             
WL: Muscadine Grapes, Tree Collard

WL: Varg Ban, mango, grapes, blackberry

Offline LulaLeyNC

• Imagine
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2020, 10:23:46 PM »
So much good information and willing help on this site. Makes me happy.
7a Wish list
Yummy varieties that can take mountain summer humidity better than I can. 🙄 Will container grow. Letís see, a Kadota in memory of my crazy Mom, who loved them (canned). Conadria, Buzzone Nero, Hollier, Smith, I-258, Fico Nero, Brooklyn White,...

Offline Cowboy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2020, 10:54:21 PM »
J D, Cinhulsen taught me that trees sometimes juad. Just up and die. No matter how experienced one is, they do sometimes juad!
Wish List: Craven's Craven, Dead Cat #'s (except #7), rarer LSU's, Ben and Robert's Golden Rainbow, Col. Littman's Blk. Cross, Blk. Maderia KK, BB 10, Louisiana Lighting, Bass' Favorite, l 258, White Mederia, Adriano,  to be continued....

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 09:00:14 AM »
J D, Cinhulsen taught me that trees sometimes juad. Just up and die. No matter how experienced one is, they do sometimes juad!

This is true with a very very low percentage but it is usually caused by not watering, over-watering, up potting at the wrong time, putting young plants out direct sunlight and many other reasons.
The same way the cuttings all the same branch don't all root the same. We sure would like to hear some of your and his experiences.

Ulises

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 10:31:12 PM »
Great information, Thanks.

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2020, 10:49:57 PM »
It is good to learn from the best.
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, CDD Blanc, CDD Noir, Thermalito, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Figs. Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese.

Offline TXFIG

• Welcome !!
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2020, 10:22:00 PM »
thanks I have read it again
Italian 258, LSU Red, LSU Scott's Black, Socorro Blk, Turca, Italian Blk, Blk Ischia, *JD's Giant  Negra, Smith, Sangue, Coll De Dama Rimada,  Ischia Black.                             
WL: Muscadine Grapes, Tree Collard

WL: Varg Ban, mango, grapes, blackberry

Offline Pcraig

• Welcome !!
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2020, 07:54:04 PM »
I root cuttings  in coire, and pot them in soil in 4 inch pots shortly after true roots grow.  I place the newly potted cuttings on a heat mat at around 80 degrees, and cover them with a 2 liter  soft drink bottle which has the bottom cut off. This keeps the humidity up, until the root system  can keep up with any leaves that start.

So far, my success rate has been pretty good.   

Does anyone else use a similar method?
Wish list: LSU Red extraordinaire, LSU Strawberry, BB10, La Goccia D'Oro, Buzzone Nero, Black Madeira dwarf.