Author Topic: Melons in my papaya bed  (Read 674 times)

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Melons in my papaya bed
« on: June 21, 2021, 04:22:05 PM »
I took pics of the melons.  We have a couple of different varieties that volunteered from last yrís plants.  I donít know when I am suppose to pick them so I will wait a little longer
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Online Ashley

• Just Started Growing Figs
  • Thank You for Having Me
Re: Melons in my papaya bed
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 04:29:56 PM »
Those look great and you have alot of variety there.  I don't recall ever eating a papaya.
Wishlist:  Col de Dame Blanc, LSU Red, LSU Strawberry, LSU Black, Galicia Negra, Socorro Black

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 04:32:29 PM »
That's great Arturo!!  Now you have a variety of melons, and I'm sure your kids will love watching them grow and picking them.  Let us know updates on their growth and especially when you pick them and eat them.  :)
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 09:45:16 PM »
Yes they will.  I can eat then fresh or in smoothies.  Kids prefer them in smoothies.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Hillhunter4

• Total Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 12:10:55 PM »
Arturo, not sure about the first varieties, but the last picture looks like a cantaloupe. When it is ripe the fruit will easily separate from the stem. If it is hanging, it may even need support to prevent premature separation.
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Hollier, Black, Scottís Black) Ronde De Bordeaux, Louisiana Green Honey, White Madeira #1, Italian Black, Colonel Littman's Black Cross, Col De Dame Blanc, Col De Dame Noir. Sao Miguel Roxo, JH Adriatic, Unk Italian_JD, I-258, Black Madeira

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 10:11:33 PM »
Arturo, not sure about the first varieties, but the last picture looks like a cantaloupe. When it is ripe the fruit will easily separate from the stem. If it is hanging, it may even need support to prevent premature separation.
Norman,

Last yr we planted cantaloupe, canary(or oriental) melons and tiger melons.  Some may have cross but based on the pics, I think the only ones that may still be true are the last one(cantaloupe) and 3rd from last(tiger melon).  All others donít look just right.  I am not concerned though cause they are all volunteers. 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 03:02:36 PM »
Have being picking melons for a couple of weeks not.  Have being having smoothies like it was going out of style.  Photos and my thoughts:

1st photo - tiger melon, a little sweet.  Skin is very thin. 
2nd photo - looked like a papaya, so hoped for similar taste but same as #5
3rd photo - thick skin like a cantaloupe.  This one was very sweet and is what I use for the sweetness in my smoothly.  Taste like a very sweet cantaloupe
4th photo - the inside of 3rd photo
5th photo - similar skin like tiger, very thin.  More like a cucumber, not sweet at all
6th photo - the inside of 5th photo
7th photo - I just wanted to show how these 2 melons are growing.  I have not seen them grow this close but I am not complaining. 

Louisiana, 9a

Online Ashley

• Just Started Growing Figs
  • Thank You for Having Me
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 03:23:28 PM »
Very nice Arturo....   Looks like you have an assortment to choose from.  Did these look like any you had last year?  Do you know how they got in your garden?
Wishlist:  Col de Dame Blanc, LSU Red, LSU Strawberry, LSU Black, Galicia Negra, Socorro Black

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 03:34:25 PM »
Arturo,

These are beautiful and what an assortment of melons!!!  Each one looks delicious.  I am sure your family will love them.  And weren't these the surprise result melons from last years crops that were hiding :)

You are "rocking" your garden, besides figs!!!
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Offline Hillhunter4

• Total Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 10:38:12 PM »
Good looking melons Arturo. Glad most turned out sweet.
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Hollier, Black, Scottís Black) Ronde De Bordeaux, Louisiana Green Honey, White Madeira #1, Italian Black, Colonel Littman's Black Cross, Col De Dame Blanc, Col De Dame Noir. Sao Miguel Roxo, JH Adriatic, Unk Italian_JD, I-258, Black Madeira

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 09:57:08 PM »
Very nice Arturo....   Looks like you have an assortment to choose from.  Did these look like any you had last year?  Do you know how they got in your garden?
Ashley,

The tiger melon and a cantaloupe that I did not take a pic from but it was just like last years.  The rest are all different.   Birds and/or squirrels is what I can only guess, they steal everything. 

Janet,

All these were volunteers.

Louisiana, 9a

Offline TXWatson

• ArkLaTex / 8a
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 11:47:28 AM »
I got a nice looking canary melon I can't wait to try. I'm so bad at telling when these things are ready, and I already picked a watermelon way early to my great disappointment. Live and learn.
Want: Any CDD, RDB, Smith, Red Lebanese

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 02:09:39 PM »
Tyler,

Nice canary melon.  Looks good :)  Let us know how it is.  Glad you were able to harvest it before the animals.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2021, 01:09:49 PM »
I got a nice looking canary melon I can't wait to try. I'm so bad at telling when these things are ready, and I already picked a watermelon way early to my great disappointment. Live and learn.
Tyler,

Great looking melon.  Wish you the best of luck with it.

I did not get any this yr. cause the late freeze killed all my baby plants and I was hoping one of the plants were going to be one but no such luck.  I will have to try growing them again, I just have to remember where I got the seeds from. 

Louisiana, 9a