Author Topic: Hello from Southern Indiana  (Read 1258 times)

Offline amanyk

• Welcome !!
Hello from Southern Indiana
« on: February 04, 2020, 11:54:37 AM »
Hi!  I have never tasted a fresh fig.  :'(

BUT I WILL THIS SUMMER!! 

Because last year I bought a couple small plants from Lowes and Home Depot.  One of the Chicago Hardy ones had a little fig that got ripe but I made a bad decision letting it go one more day. The next morning it was gone without a trace.

Lucky bird.

I now have seven plants in 5 gallon fabric pots hanging out in my garage for the winter.  Verns Brown Turkey, Chicago Hardy, Olympian, Ischia, Yellow Long Neck, and two that the tags are bleached so bad I cant read it. (And I currently cant find my notes.....) The Olympian, Ischia, and Yellow Long Neck were tissue cultures.  Cheap isn't always best.....   unless you are VERY  patient. lol

I am currently waiting on some cuttings from NJFigFarm. I'm planning to try the fig pop method. Currently trying to decide what medium to use for it.   Suggestions?

I'm looking forward to learning from all the amazing information stored in these forums!!
Wish list: I've never tasted a fig! I don't even know what to wish for. But I'm hoping to have a couple varieties from each flavor profile.

Offline opiem10

Re: Hello from Southern Indiana
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 12:52:24 PM »
Welcome to our forum.   You'll be able to get lots of good advice here.  It's free as are the many giveaways.   Make sure your profile is complete with your mailing address if you want to participate or if you might have a member who sends you something out of the goodness of their heart.

As for rooting cuttings, I use the plastic shoebox method and my medium is 100% coconut coir.  My success rate is well over 90% with this method.   Check out the video in the You Tube link.

Good luck and welcome again.
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Recovering Fig Addict (NOT...LOL)
  • Global Moderator
  • Glad to be here!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 01:35:18 PM »
Be sure to add a WL (wish list) to your signature
Wish List: 
LSU red extraordinaire, Italian (unk) , Strawberry Verte, Dall Osso Fig, LSU Strawberry,, LSU Black (any), White Maderira,  Col de Dame (any),   RdB, Roberts Golden Rainbow, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Socorro Black, Qudssaya

Coastal Alabama

Offline figskeez

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 01:43:22 PM »
Hi Amanda. Welcome to SFF!  :)

-Sean
Wish List: Paratjal Rimada, I-258, Smith, LDA, RDB, Ithaca, Strawberry Verte, Emerald Strawberry, LSU Strawberry, Colonel Littman's BC, Popone.

Offline Jtv32438

• Figaholics unite!!! Lol
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 04:38:30 PM »
Hello and welcome
Wish list. Bronx white AL or Ga ,Smith , any type of LSU- ,jack lily,gold and strawberry ,GOta del Mel,St. Rita,Hunt fig ,Dr. Clark ,actually any fig that will root. Lol
Non fig: any type of banana,persimmon,or fly trap. Thanks James

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 04:45:36 PM »
Welcome to SFF.  If you have any questions about anything just ask and someone will be happy to help.  We have some very knowledgeable and generous members. 

If you are only looking for medium then you can use coco or peat.  Both will do well in a fig pop. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline figWillie

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 06:31:09 PM »
Oh my, are you in for a treat! Fresh figs are a delight unmatched in the fruit world!!
There are many methods to start cuttings. Figpops are quite popular these days, but it's not how they do it in nurseries. I didn't like that method much because it's messy and really hard to get them out of the bags once they root. Since that unpleasant effort, I've been using plastic cups and for me, it works better.
Opiem10 has a unique way of starting cuttings horizontally that looks very promising, and I'll probably try that one when I get some more cuttings.
But you have two master fig pluckers here in JD and Steve, who know better than anyone else here what works and what doesn't. So ask questions, try different methods, and see what works best for you. I'm sure whatever method you use will work well so long as you are consistent in that method. And remember to keep good notes for the future!
Want list: #1-Qalaat al Madiq #2- black Zadar, #3 LSU Red, #4 Ben's Golden Riverside/Robert's Golden Rainbow  #5-Madiera Island black.

Offline FigHearted

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 06:45:03 PM »
Just remember, the number 1 choice of what medium and method to use depends upon your unique conditions.  What works well for me here in the Vegas desert may not work well for you in your rainy conditions.  Take everything you read about what works with a big grain of DE (see what I did there?).  Follow and understand the science behind what works, and you will be able to modify what you read to your specific conditions, make it work and be successful.

So welcome!  And may your roots grow deep and strong.

WL: Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey, BB10, BFF, Adriatic JH,  Battaglia Green, Burgan UNK, CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Offline prince10555

• Welcome !!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 08:07:21 PM »
Welcome you are in the best place for advice. Just be warned these figs can become a great addiction. Before you know it your whole yard is full of trees and pots with trees in them. It is a great hobby andI hope you enjoy your trees.
Wish List: Louisiana Red, Black and White Madiera, CDDNoir, Louisiana Tiger,EXP-24, Buzzone Nero, LSU Black, Violet Sepor, Dall’ Osso, Mosaic Clown, Qalaat al Madig, LSU D-6, BB-10,LSU white honey,Dall’OSSO, Damatia,LA-BB,LA-ULY-027

Offline stealthmayhem

• Future Fig Forest Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 06:00:06 AM »
I can't believe that I missed it when you first joined, so here goes.  Make sure that you read everything that you can on the forum, this place is full of good information. Add your wish list, and fill out your profile completely(including mailing address), so you can participate in the Giveaway everyday for 2020, and finally........

Welcome to the
MADHOUSE

Wishlist : ALL of the Figs!~
Seriously:  CdDR, CdDG, Figo Preto, Black Ischia, All of the LSU Releases - Official or not,  Raspberry Latte, LdA, Sultane, Florea, Improved Celeste, White Marseilles, Peter's Honey, CdDN, Bronx White, Golden Celeste, MBVS, Shasta Peach

Offline Undead Fruit N.GA

• Keep the fruit trees alive!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 09:51:28 PM »
Welcome,
and have fun here,
I will cross my fingers for you. In Indiana you have to worry a little more about weather for in ground figs than I do here.
I keep trying different media, but honestly, watering right is more important than the media, (or should I say not over watering!)
Melvin
Zone 7 north georgia hills between Chattanooga and Atlanta.  Wish list cold hardies!:
 Violette de Sollies, Bayernfeige violetta, Ciliegia Dolce, Desert King
Hollier,O'Rourk, I-258

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 01:17:43 AM »
Welcome Amanyk. Feel at home. To protect your figs from birds, you can use organza bags and they have different sizes. That's what I use to protect my figs.
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, CDD Blanc, CDD Noir, Thermalito, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Figs. Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese.