Author Topic: Update on Bayou Homestead Fig From Turkey Shoot 2020  (Read 1637 times)

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
Re: Update on Bayou Homestead Fig From Turkey Shoot 2020
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 07:34:09 PM »
I echo LaFigGwr2019s sentiments. I look forward to seeing pictures and learning more about how these varieties did in your regions. Good luck to all of you!
WL: Peace and satisfaction

Offline opiem10

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 07:27:51 PM »
Members,
     Out of the four cuttings I received as part of the 2020 Turkey Shoot Giveaway that JD ran, I got 2 out of those 4 to grow after up potting.   All 4 developed some type of roots, but the two with weaker growth just didn't make it.

Here are pictures of the two survivors, each about 16 inches tall from the soil line to tip of the apex of the plant.   You'll notice the trunks remain quite thin but I hope this will change after being placed into a bigger pot.   I just up potted them into 3 gallon pots today after they had been growing in 4 x 4 x 9 mini tree pots for months.   Both of these plants had a full pot of roots and I expect them to take transplanting very well, even in the heat we expect over the next two days.

Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 07:47:19 PM »
They look great! I wish mine looked that good.  I put mine in 3 gallon pots right away thinking that they will grow rapidly.  Boy was I wrong.  They are growing soooo slowly.   The one that dropped it's only leaf recovered and the other has about 3-4 leaves.  The only positive is that they are still alive. lol
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Dark Portuguese, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2021, 08:19:10 PM »
John & Rudy,

Congratulations on your success for the Bayou Homestead Fig! 
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2021, 07:38:33 AM »
John, I was looking at my 2 cuttings yesterday and noticed that the leaves between them are different.  Are the leaves on yours identical?  One plant has leaves like a spade and the other one has 4-5 lobes depending on the leaf.  The one with the 5 lobes has more leaves on it.

I realize that leaves change as they mature, but was just wondering how yours looked.
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Dark Portuguese, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Offline opiem10

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 11:20:30 AM »
Hi Denise, Both of my UNK Louisiana Bayou Homestead fig plants have 5 lobed leaves.   One plant may have the lowest leave more in the spade shape but all the other leaves have 5 lobes.
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline opiem10

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2021, 12:07:38 PM »
From the end of June to the end of July my Unknown Louisiana Bayou Homestead fig plants have put on a lot of growth.   They have also developed a few small figlets on each plant.   I don't know if any of these figs will ripen this year in NJ, but the plants should be big enough to support fruit in 2022.

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2021, 04:51:17 PM »
John,

Good luck, nice looking trees!!
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Offline Ashley

• Just Started Growing Figs
  • Thank You for Having Me
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2021, 07:58:13 PM »
Great Looking Trees John.... You certainly have a green thumb.  Fingers crossed you taste them this year
Wishlist:  Col de Dame Blanc, LSU Red, LSU Strawberry, LSU Black, Galicia Negra, Socorro Black

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2021, 06:07:56 PM »
John,

Great job with your tree, it looks great.  Hope it keeps growing strong
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2021, 10:11:19 PM »
John
Wonderful progress! I hope they continue to grow well.
WL: Peace and satisfaction

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2021, 11:53:31 PM »
They look great! I wish mine looked that good.  I put mine in 3 gallon pots right away thinking that they will grow rapidly.  Boy was I wrong.  They are growing soooo slowly.   The one that dropped it's only leaf recovered and the other has about 3-4 leaves.  The only positive is that they are still alive. lol

Rudy,

I realized that all my fig plants from Louisiana grow so slow in Georgia. No matter the amount of fertilizer I give them.
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, CDD Blanc, CDD Noir, Thermalito, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Figs. Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese.