Author Topic: Growing Unusual Crops  (Read 2332 times)

Offline TXWatson

• ArkLaTex / 8a
Growing Unusual Crops
« on: January 22, 2021, 08:30:59 AM »
I'm a big fan of edible plants that most people haven't heard of or don't know about. These were my favorites from last year that I will continue to grow.

Malabar Spinach: A vine with edible leaves that can get huge. This vigorous plant served multiple purposes. I ate some of the leaves, fed even more to my chickens to supplement their feed, and used it to shade my chicken run during the peak of summer. This plant takes off once established and loves the summer heat. I steam the leaves the same way you would spinach, or chop them up finely to use in dishes.

Egyptian Spinach: Another one that can't get enough of our Texas heat. The leaves are one of the best tasting raw greens I've ever grown. My favorite for making a salad. I had to keep it pruned back to keep them from getting over 6 ft tall.

I'd love to see what other uncommon plants people are growing in the south, especially if it's a perennial green. I've been growing purple tree collards with limited success: our rapid temperature changes seem to kill mine and so I have to grow them as annuals.
Want: Any CDD, RDB, Smith, Red Lebanese

Offline Jfl9b

• ohh that's the one ;-p
Re: Growing Unusual Crops
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 08:45:45 PM »
One of my friends grows a ton of perennials. He is in 9b florida
Katuk
Longevity spinach
Moringa
Malabar spinach
Cranberry hibiscus
growing:lsu purple, ischia, vdb, lsu gold, beers black, ge neri, 44 hardy, yellow long neck,White marseilles
WS: coll de dama, lsu strawberry, dels ermitans, pellejop de toro,  alma,smith. anything good for humid weather

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
  • Smile as you pass through!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 10:06:21 AM »
See my series on unusual plants.  Do a search for "Serenity Valley" on this forum.  I'll be adding more to the series shortly as the weather warms up.   
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, LA Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella,LA-BB, Maltese Beauty

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 01:19:24 PM »
TXWatson,

I too am growing Malabar spinach(red), I have Egyptian spinach seeds for this yr.  I also have moringa planted in my yard and plant Roselle for the last 2 yrs.  I also planted curly kale and Dino kale that I have being growing for the last 2 yrs.  I had purple tree collards myself but they just gave up one day. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline TXWatson

• ArkLaTex / 8a
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 01:45:22 PM »
I may try dino kale as a replacement for my tree collards. I wish I could grow a moringa tree, but I'm afraid it gets too cold where I'm at.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 09:31:10 PM »
Forgot to mention that I started purple kale, can't recall the actual name.  All my kales were from seeds.  Last yr I was able to get some tamarillo (tree mator) seeds and so the kids and I planted some for experimental purposes, they grow.   Fingers crossed.   I want to try the tree collards again and this time I will give it more attention.  I was working so may hrs and let the plants suffer. I will do better but I have to start me an area just for them.

So far all my kales have taken the temps like a champ.  We got a bunch of days below 30F.  I read somewhere that kales can be grown for some yrs before they flower.  So far that is true cause mine are going on their 3rd growing season. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 10:17:45 PM »
Forgot to mention that I started purple kale, can't recall the actual name.  All my kales were from seeds.  Last yr I was able to get some tamarillo (tree mator) seeds and so the kids and I planted some for experimental purposes, they grow.   Fingers crossed.   I want to try the tree collards again and this time I will give it more attention.  I was working so may hrs and let the plants suffer. I will do better but I have to start me an area just for them.

So far all my kales have taken the temps like a champ.  We got a bunch of days below 30F.  I read somewhere that kales can be grown for some yrs before they flower.  So far that is true cause mine are going on their 3rd growing season.

I forget the scientific name, but there is a variety of Moringa that can be grown up North as an annual plant.  Check the web to find it. 
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, LA Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella,LA-BB, Maltese Beauty

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 12:28:25 AM »
GJRoberts,

I am waiting to see what else you have.  I loved reading what you can grow in your climate.  Cant wait to see more of your Serenity post

Louisiana, 9a

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 08:01:57 AM »
I'll see what I can Whoop up!

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 01:40:07 AM »
Guarantee I will be looking out for the addition. 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 06:41:23 PM »
I am not sure if this qualifies as unusual but I got this Truly Tiny banana plant in April. It was in a small container which I have up potted to a 1 gallon where I will keep it for a while before putting it into the front yard once it is large enough to withstand the onslaught of the neighborhood rabbits. The truly tiny has been described as:

Truly Tiny is the smallest banana tree that produces edible bananas. Incredibly petite, Truly Tiny only grows to 2-3 feet tall and has red variegated leaves.

Wonder if I will be able to have a large enough crop for a truly tiny banana bread; or at least one banana pancake  ;D
WL: Peace and satisfaction

Offline TXWatson

• ArkLaTex / 8a
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 09:13:52 PM »
HWall, I've never heard of a tiny banana plant, that sounds awesome. Something that could stay container sized for overwintering. Growing up in Houston we had some large banana plants, but I don't remember much about them.

As I expand the fruit tree section of my property, I'm always looking for edible perennials that can survive in my area with little attention. I like the permaculture concept of fruit tree "guilds".  I've been looking a lot into perennial leeks, as well as Egyptian walking onions. Currently have mint planted around all my in-ground trees and around my Ison muscadine.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 10:39:24 PM »
Henry,

I have heard of Truly Tina banana variety.  I was looking for it but was only able to come across the Dwarf Cavendish.  Not complaining cause a banana is better than no banana.  I wish you the best of luck with your new banana.

Louisiana, 9a