Author Topic: Freeze in zone 9a  (Read 1908 times)

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Freeze in zone 9a
« on: February 16, 2021, 12:57:54 PM »
I live in South Louisiana, have lived here for a long time.  Have never gotten this cold.  I donít like it at all. Had covered most of all my ground trees.  Had some very heavy winds and it uncovered some of my trees and bushes. 

Pics are of: banana leaf, lemon grass, passion fruit and some of my trees
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline opiem10

Re: Freeze in zone 9a
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 09:18:31 AM »
Arturo, I feel so bad for all southern members who are experiencing this record cold.  Your weather is colder than what we have in the northeast.   Let's pray the polar vortex passes through in the next couple days and that your crops arte not destroyed.  If you lose any figs to this cold snap, reach out to me and I will see if I can replace those varieties for you.   Stay well.
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline brazman

• Figgedaboutit
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 10:39:12 AM »
Here in Abilene, we had a record shattering 14.8Ē of snow, the temp bottomed out at 0į with a windchill of -24, fingers crossed that my trees are ok in my attached shed. We have power, and the water came back on yesterday after 24 hrs of the entire city losing water. Iíve never been more ready for spring.
Wish List: Any CDD variety, Burgan UNK, Black Tuscan, Craven's Craving

Offline opiem10

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 09:55:58 AM »
In the Northeast, we've had several snow storms over the past week or two that have dumped from several inches to several feet of snow on us.  Yesterday and today bring the remnants of the storm that previously put our southern members in a deep freeze.   The difference is that weather like this is not unusual for us and we have equipment to remove snow and melt ice at local and state levels.  As well, most people have backup generators or a means to heat homes if power goes out.   

Let's hope this was the worst of the winter of 2021 and that spring comes early for all.
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 10:52:49 AM »
I feel for all members that live in the south and were impacted by this crazy weather.  I live in South Louisiana.  We lost power and were below 30F for 4 days.  The worst part was the fact that it started to rain right before the weather dropped below 20F which cause the rain to freeze on the trees as it fell. 

The temp was below 30F for over 4 days but we only lost power for 2 of those days.  Just wanted to clear that up
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a