Author Topic: Rooting Soft Green Cuttings  (Read 1089 times)

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
Rooting Soft Green Cuttings
« on: April 18, 2021, 10:04:02 AM »
Has anybody tried this method?  www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTdkLRsJwHg   

I accidently knocked off a branch from one of my trees a while back and just stuck it in some water.  Problem now is which variety? lol
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Dark Portuguese, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Offline opiem10

Re: Rooting Soft Green Cuttings
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 07:48:02 PM »
Denise, I have never had any success rooting green cuttings.   I tried last year and they all died. :-\
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 02:44:57 PM »
As soon as I read your response, I went and checked the branch.  IT IS ROOTING! The roots are coming from the green stem not the lignified part which I find interesting.  If roots continue to grow, I'll have to send you a picture.  I am really surprised as this branch has been in water for about a week. Maybe more.  I didn't put a label on it which was dumb on my part. lol
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Dark Portuguese, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 07:46:41 PM »
Rudy that is good that your green cutting is rooting in water.  It's good to know that it can be done.   
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 09:47:16 PM »
Well, I figured I would give it a shot.  I had nothing to lose as my options were to stick it in water and see what happens or throw it away.  All my other cuttings this year went pfttt. lol.

I'll keep you all updated as to what happens.  I really wish I knew which tree this came off of. lol

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
  • Smile as you pass through!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 12:41:02 AM »
I've got to try me that!
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, LA Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella,LA-BB, Maltese Beauty

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 05:53:22 AM »
To be honest, I didn't have high hopes for it.  I didn't follow the directions given in the video.  I kept it in its natural state and plopped it in a jar immediately after it broke off the mother tree.  I am curious how it will adapt transferring from water to a potting mix. 

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 06:56:14 PM »
@Rudy

Thank you for sharing the video and your recent experience with this technique. I wish I knew about it 3 weeks ago when I also broke a few unlignified cuttings during up potting. I merely stuck the broken pieces in the ground and left them to their own devices.

Did you leave a leaf on your cutting when placing in the water? Also, did you use spring water, distilled, or regular tap? I am wondering if the water type has any influence on the ability of the stick to root. Thank you!

Henry
WL: Peace and satisfaction

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 08:03:06 PM »
Wish all of you trying this method the best of luck. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 03:19:13 PM »
Denise

Did this method produce enough roots for your to up pot the cuttings from the water bottle? Iím curious as to how successful this method was for you.

Henry
WL: Peace and satisfaction

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 11:47:35 AM »
At this point, I don't know if I rooted it successfully.  I potted it up when the roots were less than 1/4" nubs because the transition from water to potting medium is a shock to the system.  I put the cutting into one type of medium and then I changed my mind about it and put it into another.  In the process taking it out of the first medium, some of the nubs were gone.  I am waiting to see if the cutting will recover from the shock because the leaves dropped.  I have another cutting in water and I am watching that one.  The second one is smaller than the first so it will be interesting to see what happens. 

I didn't put either cutting into a water bottle, just an open jar.

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 12:29:46 AM »
I am rooting some soft green cuttings in containers. I took them of my fig trees because of too many soft green branches. Hopefully they will root.
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, CDD Blanc, CDD Noir, Thermalito, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Figs. Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese.

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 11:46:17 PM »
I have goodnews. Three soft green cuttings have started rooting.
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, CDD Blanc, CDD Noir, Thermalito, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Figs. Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese.

Offline Hillhunter4

• Total Newbie
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 08:19:24 AM »
Congrats on the success Ben. Rudy how is yours doing after potting up?
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Hollier, Black, Scottís Black) Ronde De Bordeaux, Louisiana Green Honey, White Madeira #1, Italian Black, Colonel Littman's Black Cross, Col De Dame Blanc, Col De Dame Noir. Sao Miguel Roxo, JH Adriatic, Unk Italian_JD, I-258, Black Madeira

Offline opiem10

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2021, 09:29:26 AM »
When at first you don't succeed, try, try again.  After looking at the YouTube video Denise posted, I decided to try rooting green cuttings from some of the air layers I recently completed.  In the past, I tried to keep the green cuttings out of direct sunlight and they always failed in a few weeks.

For this experiment, I placed the cuttings in 16 oz white plastic cups and covered the cups with plastic wrap which was held firmly in place with a rubber band.   I then cut a small slit in the plastic so I could insert the cutting, figuring this would support the cutting, keep the stem in a very humid environment, and prevent evaporation.   

Then, I did something a bit radical.   I placed the cups containing the cuttings in a South facing garden window.   It's bright and hot in there.   I then just left them to fry.   But they didn't cook like I had expected.   It's only been a week, but I have more darn root bumps on all those cuttings than I ever got pampering green cuttings in the past.  Now I have to see if the roots continue to grow or if the cuttings eventually die.   The good news is that this experiment is free and if even a few cuttings actually survive, I will have some extra Cavaliere, Louisiana Green Honey, Calderona, or Dr Clark plants for friends to take.
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin