Author Topic: 3 down, at least 2 more to go  (Read 723 times)

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
3 down, at least 2 more to go
« on: May 29, 2021, 12:43:18 AM »
I had a couple of plants in my backyard garden and sure nuff it all got eaten.  They ate my kids sunflowers but we still had some spare seeds so kids replanted them.  They ate my new tree collards that I had just planted and some other plants.  Why canít I just seem to be able to keep tree collards.  Well I now just need to find their dead beat parents that set them loose in my yard.  Last time I check I did not advertise free buffet.  There are some woods about 30min away, they will be happy there
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline opiem10

Re: 3 down, at least 2 more to go
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 08:52:31 AM »
Oh the kids today have no respect for other's property.   

Arturo, I once found those silly rabbits with a litter inside a big planter on my deck that was growing a Sago Palm.   How mama rabbit jumped up into the pot and dug out a spot for her pups really amazed me.   I don't think even raised beds would help your garden to be protected from those critters.   
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 10:12:49 AM »
Arturo, so sorry about your kids' sunflowers!  We planted some and the rabbits, chipmunks and squirrels are running rampant around here in NJ.  They have eaten my tulips last month also.  I caught a chipmunk in my big potted Celeste fig tree.  The dogs chase them when they are out.  You should see them in the bird feeders.  The only good thing the sunflower seeds grow pretty quickly and they will grow anywhere with sun that you plant them, like in the ground, flower pot, anywhere.  Good luck!  Let us know how they are growing, fingers crossed for your kids.  :)
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 11:47:31 AM »
John,

I had to use some netting to keep them out.  They were all hiding around the bags of leaves that I collected last yr.  I had to move them to cut grass that is when I noticed them and caught them. 

Janet,

The sunflowers were replanted and came back.  We donít have chipmunks.  I leave in a subdivision and never taught I would have to worry about rabbits till I saw them.  Kids thought the bunnies were cute and went to their garden to pick some carrots and kale from my beds.  They easily forgave them.  I kept telling them they would eat all their stuff and they said but daddy they are cute and we have more then we can eat.  My favorite was ďDaddy, sharing is caringĒ, that came after I told them that they ate my tree collards.  I wanted to beat their little behinds.  Got to love kids.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline TXWatson

• ArkLaTex / 8a
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 01:01:33 PM »
Wow, I live in the country and rabbits have always left my tree collards alone that I can tell. The vegetable plots I care about I put chicken wire around. I recently took some cuttings from my tree collards and it's a good thing - with the huge amount of rain we had they are in poor shape. Mine don't like the transition from winter/summer anyways and I end up growing them more as annuals.
Want: Any CDD, RDB, Smith, Red Lebanese

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 01:06:30 PM »
Arturo, your kids sounds adorable and you raised them to be caring human beings to share with others, even the animals.  :)
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 01:24:22 PM »
Janet,

Thank you.  We do try to do our best with them.  They do make me very proud.  1st pic is of the new sunflowers. 

Tyler,

I donít know why but they eat mine.   They were little cause I just got them and rooted them.  They were also eating my kale.  I attached the 2nd pic of what they leave behind.  The kale are much bigger and they mainly loose leaves.

Louisiana, 9a

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 03:45:46 PM »
Arturo that's good that you were able to plant more and have them come back!!

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 07:53:34 PM »
I never thought I would be old enough to sympathize with Elmer FuddÖ Bugs Bunny really was a pain and his bunny pals continue to torture gardeners!

My wife has a raised bed in the yard and we purchased a crop cage from one of the online garden retailers to keep out the horde. The netting is still big enough to allow pollination from bees but so far has kept out rabbits, squirrels, and birds. Fingers crossed it continues to work!

WL: Peace and satisfaction

Offline Hillhunter4

• Total Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 09:55:49 AM »
Arturo,
Good on you for catch and release, but Iím with you on they have to go.
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Hollier, Black, Scottís Black) Ronde De Bordeaux, Louisiana Green Honey, White Madeira #1, Italian Black, Colonel Littman's Black Cross, Col De Dame Blanc, Col De Dame Noir. Sao Miguel Roxo, JH Adriatic, Unk Italian_JD, I-258, Black Madeira

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 08:55:41 PM »
Arturo,
Good on you for catch and release, but Iím with you on they have to go.
If they could help somewhat in the yard, I would let them stay but they donít seem to understand that if they only eat from one plant at a time the plants will all be gone in no time.  Where as if they ate a little of all the plants, the plants would last forever.   Also my dogs might not like sharing the yard with them.  Their relocation program is much different then mine. 

Louisiana, 9a