Author Topic: Texas Strawberry  (Read 4204 times)

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
Texas Strawberry
« on: June 21, 2021, 05:36:50 PM »
Hello

Thanks to Denise, I was able to track down the Texas Strawberry fig tree and purchased one for myself. It arrived last week and has been inside my house next to a window to recover from the journey (San Antonio is not far but it was very hot last week during transit). I have finally taken it outside to an area on my patio that gets a few hours of morning sun and shade the rest of the day while it hardens off in my environment.

I am excited to see how well it does here and hope to get a fig next season since this season is too far gone to try fruiting it. I am curious to see if I have 1 tree with a sucker to something else because there is a random cutting/stick in the middle of 2 single trunks.

I will aim to update this post as it grows and hope other growers of this variety will share their experience with it this season!
Henry
WL: Peace and satisfaction

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
Re: Texas Strawberry
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 05:54:29 PM »
Henry, did you get the tree from FashionsbyGeorgette?  Belinda is really nice and I keep in touch with her every so often thru FB.  My pot came with 2 cuttings in it so you may have gotten lucky and got 3 of the same variety.  Her nursery was hit pretty hard by the spring snow storm so maybe they thought 2 out of 3 will have a better chance of rooting. lol Next year I will separate the two.  I wanted to allow the roots to become established before stressing it out by chopping the rootball in half. 

I just checked my plants and I have a single fig growing on each cutting.  I should remove them but cannot bring myself to do so. lol   Last year I had one growing late in the season but it didn't mature in time before winter arrived. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 06:04:42 PM by Rudy »
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Dark Portuguese, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Offline Jtv32438

• Figaholics unite!!! Lol
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 06:30:18 PM »
Please keep us informed on the progress and I would love to hear about the taste.
Wish list. Bronx white AL or Ga ,Smith , any type of LSU- ,jack lily,gold and strawberry ,GOta del Mel,St. Rita,Hunt fig ,Dr. Clark ,actually any fig that will root. Lol
Non fig: any type of banana,persimmon,or fly trap. Thanks James

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 06:41:22 PM »
I did get it from FashionsbyGeorgette. The messages from Belinda were so delightful and full of happiness; very difficult to describe!

Your theory on the winter storm and planting for redundancy makes sense; Iím thinking 2 of the 3 cuttings were successful since the middle looks like a random stick. Iím not quite savvy enough to scrape the bark to check if itís alive. I figure 2 out fo3 isnít bad and it means I will be able to share one in the future if I can separate the root balls. ;D

My aim for now is to get it to survive this helter skelter weather. There isnít much information available on growth and feeding habits so itíll be trial & error.

WL: Peace and satisfaction

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 07:15:56 PM »
Henry & Rudy,

Good luck with your Texas Strawberry Fig Trees!  Keep us posted on the progress of their growth and pictures.  They sound like the figs are going to be so delicious :)
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 07:27:25 PM »
FigMamaJanet,

A friend of mine bought one last summer after I told her about it.  She lives in in the Del Rio TX area so she should get fruit sooner than I.  She may have fruit on hers too and further along.
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Dark Portuguese, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Online FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 07:31:48 PM »
Rudy,

Let us know about the flavor (from her), if your tree doesn't produce yet, but you never know your season is longer in Georgia than we have in New Jersey before the fig trees start to go dormant and get put in the garage.  My trees are in pots.  :)
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 07:48:16 PM »
I just contacted her and she said her trees were huge and loaded with fruit.  She said she is using fish emulsion and Jacks 25-5-15 High Performance Fertilizer.  If this works well for her, I am gonna do the same. Unfortunately, the Jack's is expensive like $80 or so for 25 pounds.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 08:11:03 PM by Rudy »

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 10:07:41 PM »
Denise and Henry,

Good luck with your tree and I will keep track of this.  Please keep us all updated. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Hillhunter4

• Total Newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 10:27:21 PM »
I am definitely interested in updates. Hope yíall have great success.
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Hollier, Black, Scottís Black) Ronde De Bordeaux, Louisiana Green Honey, White Madeira #1, Italian Black, Colonel Littman's Black Cross, Col De Dame Blanc, Col De Dame Noir. Sao Miguel Roxo, JH Adriatic, Unk Italian_JD, I-258, Black Madeira

Offline opiem10

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 06:40:20 AM »
I just contacted her and she said her trees were huge and loaded with fruit.  She said she is using fish emulsion and Jacks 25-5-15 High Performance Fertilizer.  If this works well for her, I am gonna do the same. Unfortunately, the Jack's is expensive like $80 or so for 25 pounds.

Hi Denise,
After seeing your post, I checked for Jack's High Performance Fertilizer on line.   You can get this for around $60 on e-bay or through Walmart, both with free shipping.   While this is a good chunk of change to pay up front, that cost is not much more per pound than Miracle Grow, only that you would be buying in a larger quantity.   Maybe some local figgers in your area would split the bag.   I may buy a bag because it more concentrated than Miracle Grow and I will likely wind up using less to grow my plants.
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline opiem10

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 06:41:26 AM »
To all members growing Texas Strawberry, keep us updated with the progress of your trees and the taste profile of the figs.
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 07:58:47 AM »
I copy/pasted a photo of my friend's plant in the SFF FB group. It's so easy to do on FB. lol Her's had tripled in size compared to mine and has lots of fruit for a 1 year old cutting. The plant is in a 7 gallon pot. She is doing something right. lol

Offline Hillhunter4

• Total Newbie
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 03:06:26 PM »
I done a little research on this variety after reading this post. As with most varieties, there are some differing opinions on if the fig is unique or one of the similar Adriatic's. It does sound good and the pictures look awesome.
Wish List: LSU (Tiger, Strawberry, Red, Hollier, Black, Scottís Black) Ronde De Bordeaux, Louisiana Green Honey, White Madeira #1, Italian Black, Colonel Littman's Black Cross, Col De Dame Blanc, Col De Dame Noir. Sao Miguel Roxo, JH Adriatic, Unk Italian_JD, I-258, Black Madeira

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 09:31:42 PM »
I bought my Texas Strawberry fig from FashionsbyGeorgette last year summer and now my tree has fruits on it. I am looking forward to taste it. I just added the picture of my Texas Strawberry fig plant.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 07:02:37 PM by AtlantaFig »
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, CDD Blanc, CDD Noir, Thermalito, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Figs. Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese.