Author Topic: First banana flag in 2021  (Read 2191 times)

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Re: First banana flag in 2021
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2021, 11:44:41 PM »
Another pic of a 3rd hand and this one has 8 bananas.   

Janet,

My kids love them straight, especially my son.  I canít wait for them to mature, I can taste the banana splits, banana nut bread and smoothies. 

John,

Yes, great feeling tasting fresh fruits that you have grown in your own yard.

Henry,

Thank you for the kind words.  I try my best somethings I succeed some I fail.  Itís good to see some wins
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2021, 09:05:39 PM »
The pod is no longer producing bananas.  Now itís all males so now the waiting for the bananas to get fat and ripen is on.  I posted a pic that shows now the pod only producing male flowers.  This is the smallest bunch I have had in a long time.  Itís understandable cause I planted this variety barely a yr ago.  The corm is maturing so next one should be better. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2021, 07:22:20 AM »
Arturo,

Your banana tree is moving right along!!  Thank you for teaching me an others that are new to planting banana trees.  I love seeing the progress in the pictures you are sending.

Do you have to do any maintenance to the banana tree or it just develops on it's own now?

I can taste that banana smoothie right now :)
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2021, 09:20:51 PM »
Janet,

The only maintenance that I do is remove the old leaves.  I mainly remove the old shredded ones but that is till the flag comes up.  When the flag shows up I donít touch it any more.  Also I make sure, the plant has around 3 to 4 leaves, at all times.  Has to have leaves to do its photosynthesis and also handle all the rain. 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2021, 09:21:30 PM »
Hi Arturo

Can you share your fertilizer regime (what you use and how often) for the banana tree? Iíve treated my Truly Tiny similar to my figs (Osmocote plus, soluble fertilizer weekly, occasional worm castings and mushroom compost). Any thoughts or information youíre willing to share would be most welcomed.
Henry
WL: Peace and satisfaction

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2021, 07:04:25 AM »
Henry,

As fertilizers go, I use what I have at hand.  For example, this year I used Jobeís Fruits and Citrus,  Espoma Cotrus Tone and fish emo.  I had those in my garage cause well I got them cheap last yr.  I feed all my plants like that.  I also had some tomato fertilizer but I used that mainly in my garden till I ran out.  I feed them every 4 to 6 weeks(if I remember).   I also only use the fish emo if I need to water the garden which I have not done in a while.  During the winter, I mulched leaves with my lawnmower and added that around all my in ground trees and plants.  Since I started cutting grass this yr, I use the grass clippings around all my bananas.  When I prune what I call ugly leaves from the bananas, I shop them to pieces around the my trees and plants.  I have A LOT of that citrus fertilizer that I can and will use for the rest of this yr.

I hope that is clear.   If you need any more information just ask and I will be happy to answer anything I know.  Also I attached pics of the granular fertilizer that I have. 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Ashley

• Just Started Growing Figs
  • Thank You for Having Me
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2021, 10:01:47 AM »
Thanks for the question Henry (as I too had the same question).   Thanks Arturo for the detailed and long explanation.   I will start this regimen as well around two bananas I planted last weekend
Wishlist:  Col de Dame Blanc, LSU Red, LSU Strawberry, LSU Black, Galicia Negra, Socorro Black

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2021, 05:08:56 PM »
Ashley,

Your welcome.  While writing sometimes I feel like I am just writing to much but this is the only way I can explain what I do.

Louisiana, 9a

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2021, 08:51:21 PM »
Thank you Arturo! This is very helpful and instructive.
WL: Peace and satisfaction