Author Topic: Shriveling of Figs on Celeste  (Read 406 times)

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
Shriveling of Figs on Celeste
« on: July 25, 2021, 08:09:53 PM »
Does anyone know why my Celeste Fig tree (3 years old) would have shriveling figs.  They are a little larger than a pea and a purplish color.  The fig above them is green and slightly larger.  I have 8 like that and the same scenario.

This didn't happen last year.   I didn't have brebas last year.  Could they be a breba?

This tree was so healthy and vibrant last year.  It's in a huge pot.  It is fertilized and watered.  Sun all day.

I am stumped!

Thanks for any suggestions :)
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Offline deerhunter16

• Welcome !!
Re: Shriveling of Figs on Celeste
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 01:51:07 PM »
They could be breba, are they above or below the leaf node. Do you have a picture of them
John z7a
Wish list:  Barnsotto, Black ischia, Cavalier, Marteneca Rimada, White Madeira

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 06:15:20 PM »
deerhunter 16,

I am attaching a picture of the small purple color shriveling fig.  The one above is green and hard.  There wasn't any breba crop last year.
There are a few branches like this with the bottom fig on the branch being the shriveling one.

Picture is below.  Thanks for any answers as to what could be going on.
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 06:15:59 PM »
Sorry the picture didn't turn - its a side view.

Offline deerhunter16

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 10:06:32 PM »
From looking at picture ….it looks like main crop…..some Celeste are know to do that and it usually goes away has the tree gets older.
John z7a
Wish list:  Barnsotto, Black ischia, Cavalier, Marteneca Rimada, White Madeira

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 07:27:39 AM »
Thank you John!  I was  worried that my Celeste was dying.

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 07:54:09 PM »
Well I just went outside to check the Celeste tree and three figs that were shriveled and purplish along with 3 that were green above the purple ones,  fell off of the tree.  Some fell in the pot and some on the ground.  I opened a green one and it was like a sponge with seeds inside.

Anyone know why?

This didn't happen last year (it was the tree's 2nd year).  They were healthy, full and delicious. :)

Thanks.

Picture below.

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
Re: Shriveling of Figs on Celeste - 8/5/2021 Up-Date
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 04:29:43 PM »
Well here is an up-date on the shriveling Celeste figs.  Just went outside and 10 little shriveled but green and purplish fell off the tree onto the ground.  I cut one open and it was like a sponge - no liquid content in the interior at all, there were seeds, and the color was light green. 

Might be hope yet, there are still a few figs holding on that are larger than the pea size shriveled ones, and they are not shriveled.

Fingers crossed :)

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 05:28:55 PM »
Hi Janet!

I have an Improved Celeste in a 5 gallon SIP that is doing the exact same thing. It is distressing finding aborted figs on the ground and I know it is getting adequate water from the SIP reservoir. Perhaps the overall heat is stressing the tree. Like yours, the tree still have figlets so keeping fingers crossed we will have a productive outcome!
WL: Peace and satisfaction

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 05:53:06 PM »
Henry,

Sorry about your Celeste tree and figs also.  In a way, I am glad it's not only me and I'm stressing too much about it.

The sun came out today and warmed up, so I think that helped a little.  It's been raining off and on and cloudy for a few days.  So hopefully they needed some sun.
I gave them just Miracle Gro two days ago when they were stressing and leaves turning yellow.  I am going to give the fish emulsion end of the week.  I am trying to do that every two weeks on the figs that I have.  Mine are all in pots. 

Keep me posted on your Celeste figs :)