Author Topic: We are starting over.  (Read 466 times)

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
We are starting over.
« on: September 17, 2021, 09:58:17 AM »
Hello everyone we will be set up hopefully in October to start growing again. For all newcomers my Orchards we're completely wiped out from Hurricane Laura and Delta.

I am really seeking to replace the l s u strawberry and my strain of the LSU Red. The mother tree of the doctor Clark is gone this is a really nice fig looking to get it going again.

So please contact me In what you can help us replace looking to restore Southern figs forum back to its original luster. This has been a really trying time in our lives just to recover from the Hurricanes last year we still have a long ways to go.

I want to specially thank all the members for all they've done in my absence thank you everyone JD.

Online AnaFL

• Happy gardening!
Re: We are starting over.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 01:47:53 PM »
I have your wm#1, Soccorro black and louisiana green honey.
Please tell if you need them, i am happy to help!
WL: Strawberry verte, Raspberry latte, CC, RGR

Offline opiem10

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 08:52:00 AM »
Hi JD, I am glad to hear that you will soon be ready to start your fig orchards in the near future.   I don't have LSU Strawberry or LSU Red.   My air layer from my Dr Clark didn't survive either, but I can take another in the spring of 2021.

Let me know what other varieties you will be looking for as a priority and I will see if I can provide them.   Also, please let members know if you are looking for plants or cuttings.   Many of the members may not have a duplicate plant but might be able to provide a cutting or so.   But then the work is on you to get them rooted while you recover.

I may not be able to provide plants/cuttings until early 2022 as I am in the middle of cleaning up damage from Hurricane Ida.  Though we didn't get the wind destruction seen along the Gulf coast, my part of NJ was in the bullseye for the heaviest rain.   Our area can't handle the 13 inches we received in a six hour window so all the surrounding rivers overflowed, flooding was extensive, and my basement is a complete loss from groundwater that rose so quickly.  I will be doing all the refinishing as the contractors who do this type of work are gouging the people who lost so much in this recent flood (ie. $14K just to strip the sheetrock and spray disinfectant on my floor).
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 09:20:16 AM »
John sorry to hear this destruction that Ida caused you. The people in Louisiana got about 10 to 15 times the amount of damage. Many have lost everything they've owned and work for as I did last year. It is a shame that government let's this type the price gouging go on especially with material when people are in that kind of need. This doesn't seem to be humane or legal that people are allowed to line their pockets like this. I hope everyone on the east coast and all our members have a quick recovery.

Offline Ashley

• Just Started Growing Figs
  • Thank You for Having Me
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 12:16:09 PM »
Great news JD.  Happy to hear you have recovered to the point of recovering your fig trees.   Unfortunately, I do not have the ones you are looking for.  I have your Unk Ischia, Black Bethlehem, and Green Honey.  If you need any of those, please let me know.
Wishlist:  Col de Dame Blanc, LSU Red, LSU Strawberry, LSU Black, Galicia Negra, Socorro Black

Offline rogerfwright

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 08:23:47 AM »
GOOD LUCK TO ALL THAT ARE STARTING OVER
ROGER WRIGHT

Offline Islander

• Islander
  • Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 04:25:27 PM »
Wow. Wish I had what you are looking for, Iíd send it. But I donít have any of those. I hope people help provide for you. Itís sad to hear the damage done by nature, just to be compounded by greed of man. I hope everyone gets through this, and remains safe. Prayers to you all.
Growing: Brown Turkey, Black Mission, LSU Gold, Patsyís Pride, Chicago Hardy, Petite Negra, Olympian, Unk x 2, CdDN
Wish list: Hollier, Lockeís 1945 HB-YLN, other prolific figs. Ginoís Black, Strawberry Verte, Little Miss Figgy, Letizia. Berry figs, closed eye

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 09:56:09 PM »
JD,

I to have not being able to AL my Dr Clark.  I will try one last time, I hope I can get some.  I want to do a couple.  I have some people I want to give this variety to.  Great fig.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 10:24:09 PM »
Glad to know you and your family are safe. I hope you are able to restore your orchard and acquire much more than you had.
Wish List: Alma, Smith, Hunt, Frank, Peace, Pound, any Col de Dame, Italian-258, LSU varieties, Golden Riverside, Ronde de Bordeaux, any Honey fig, heirloom varieties (I'm still learning.)

Online finvarawoods

• Welcome !!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 10:25:49 AM »
Hi.  I'm glad you are being able to start over.  I wish I could send you those varieties but I don't have them.  I bet someone will.  Kate

Offline Ferg795

• Welcome !!
    • Wesley
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 03:28:27 PM »
JD I have Dr. Clark, I starter three month ago, it growing good you can have it.  Sent me your address I will sent it to you.
Wesley
Wish list:  LSU red, LSU DC-7, LSU Hollier, Panache, LSU Tiger, White Triana, LSU Black LSU Scott Yellow, Louisiana Lightning,  and White Adriatile.

Offline WillowBottomFarms

• Hey there from the crazy goat lady and fig lover!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 10:50:31 PM »
Hi JD, I have both Dr. Clark and your LSU Red ext.  We are in the middle of moving the farm but as soon as I find these trees, I will get started on making you a copy of each. 
WL: anything unique or heirloom; Louisiana Swamp Fig; EXP 24 Fig; JDs LSU Red; Jolly Tiger; JDs Golden Celeste; Giant Brown Turkey; Osborn Prolific; BB-10; Smith; Calderona; JDs Unk Italian

Non-fig WL: cold hardy asian pear trees; heirloom apple trees; willow trees; jujube trees; plum trees; peach

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 10:48:30 AM »
JD,

I don't have most of the figs you originally had, but if there are any others that I may have, I would be more than happy to help you out.  Just let me know what other varieties you need :)
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 05:32:50 PM »
Here is an older post indicating what was lost.  My post at the bottom has them in alphabetical order for convenience. https://southernfigsforum.com/index.php?topic=2215.0
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Dark Portuguese, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
  • Smile as you pass through!
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 09:32:20 PM »
I sure would like to help with any I have.  That posting is pretty old.  Can we get that list updated, and have it put somewhere as a sticky?  Most of my trees are still pretty small, but as I prune more will be available.
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, LA Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella,LA-BB, Maltese Beauty