Author Topic: 18oz cups full of D.E. for cuttings?  (Read 435 times)

Offline Bry

• Welcome !!
18oz cups full of D.E. for cuttings?
« on: December 08, 2019, 10:12:00 PM »
I started planning for rooting my cuttings and...

1.Was wondering what you all thought about using  the 18 oz plastic cups from Walmart for starts? Is this deep enough?

2.Was considering trying out 100% diatomaceous earth for the growing medium, is that a good idea?

3. What do you use for your cutting propagation that you like best?

Please give your thoughts,

Thanks,
Bry
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 10:04:21 PM by Bry »
Would like to try Ronde de Bourdeaux, I-258, Chicago Hardy, Improved Celeste, Col de Dame Gris, LSU Scott's Black, Verte, Nero 600M or any hardy tasty fig!

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Re: 18oz D.E.? 3 wases
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 11:19:22 PM »
1 - I use anything that I can get my hands on.  I have some in little pots.  Some in McDonalds 32oz cups and a bunch in a big clay pot.  I like to reuse.  Donít see the reason to throw away those McDonaldís cups

2 - I have never used DE as growing medium.  Some other members on here have so I will let them tell you about their experience with it.

3 - I use peat-moss with perlite.  I am also trying the shoebox method.  Shoebox only has peat-moss and nothing else.

Hope that helps
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Cravens C., Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4í variety), Red)

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline stealthmayhem

• Future Fig Forest Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 04:44:19 AM »
I have used the 18 oz plastic cups.....no issues at all.  The only thing to remember is that your cutting needs to stay away from the bottom of the cup.  That means that more of the cutting will be exposed to the air.  Make sure you control the humidity with either parafilm, wax, a humidity dome, or something that will stop the cuttings from drying out..
Wishlist : ALL of the Figs!~
Seriously:  CdDR, CdDG, Figo Preto, Black Ischia, All of the LSU Releases - Official or not,  Raspberry Latte, LdA, Sultane, Florea, Improved Celeste, White Marseilles, Peter's Honey, CdDN, Bronx White, Golden Celeste, MBVS, Shasta Peach

Offline deerhunter16

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 10:54:42 AM »
I agree ,18 oz cups are fine. Just poke a few holes in them. I like burying my cutting so only 1 node is exposed.
Most important is to control your moisture, heat and humidity. Those are the key factors in starting cuttings .
Never used DE.
John z7a
Wish list:  Barnsotto, Black ischia, Cavalier, Marteneca Rimada, White Madeira

Offline Bry

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 09:14:47 PM »
Thanks LA, Stealth and Deerhunter! I appreciate your answers.

It seems like everyone kind of has a favorite method and it is helpful to hear others's experiences too.  I'm really curious about trying DE because it supposedly limits rot in the cuttings. Also, starts can withstand more frequent watering because of better drainage and air near the roots. I will try to post some results once I get going.

Would like to try Ronde de Bourdeaux, I-258, Chicago Hardy, Improved Celeste, Col de Dame Gris, LSU Scott's Black, Verte, Nero 600M or any hardy tasty fig!

Offline Administrator

• Global Moderator
  • Gotta Love them !
Re: 18oz cups full of D.E. for cuttings?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 11:29:13 PM »
Steve here,

yes 18oz cups walmart 100 of them 3.45 a pack , 10 pounds of coffee grind coco, and a few 108 quart or bigger
Black Tubs.

but yes 18 oz cut is fine  3/4 to 1" from bottom like the members or saying.

Steve

Offline GiGi53

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 09:35:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing this. I learn so much on this site.
WL, LSU Varieties, Black mission, Texas Everbearing,Peter's Honey Fig,Celeste

Offline THB1961

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 05:01:59 PM »
I use the walmart cups I put 4 small holes in the bottom and use fine vermiculite as the medium.
I put about an inch or 2 in the bottom of the cup put the cutting in and fill the cup the rest of the way.
Then put in sweat chamber about 2 weeks. I am getting about 95% result.

First I soak the cuttings in water that should be replaced every day for freshness until I see the little white root nubs.

Then do the above steps.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 05:16:10 PM by THB1961 »
WL:Orphan, Col de Dame Blanca/Negra, Louisiana Green Honey,  Dall Osso, Louisiana Lightning, Cajun Gold, Ge Neri
CdDRoja, Yellow Longneck,  Black Ishia,  Col. Littman, Cravens Craving, Emalyns purple, Pink Jerusalem, Stellato,  Ponte Tresa,  Afghan-E, Edith`s Raspberry Jam,