Author Topic: A Japanese Fig Farm  (Read 2006 times)

Offline swmofigger

A Japanese Fig Farm
« on: December 21, 2019, 06:46:36 PM »
I just watched this fascinating video about a fig farm.

But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
  • Smile as you pass through!
Re: A Japanese Fig Farm
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 02:17:56 PM »
Steve, did you call the ones you gave out "Large Brown Turkey".  I got some cuttings a while back that were identified as Large Brown Turkey" and "Small Brown Turkey".

Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, LA Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella,LA-BB, Maltese Beauty

Offline WillowBottomFarms

• Hey there from the crazy goat lady and fig lover!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 02:54:54 PM »
I thought I saw somewhere the Japanese called the way they prune/train their trees the step over method.  I think it might be a useful way of growing in colder climates because it would be easier to protect the main trunk if growing horizontal and low to the ground.
WL: anything unique or heirloom; Louisiana Swamp Fig; EXP 24 Fig; JDs LSU Red; Jolly Tiger; JDs Golden Celeste; Giant Brown Turkey; Osborn Prolific; BB-10; Smith; Calderona; JDs Unk Italian

Non-fig WL: cold hardy asian pear trees; heirloom apple trees; willow trees; jujube trees; plum trees; peach

Offline FigHearted

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 01:16:21 AM »
That is a HUGE difference in size!  I gather, since you still have it, that it is also tasty.
WL: Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey, BB10, BFF, Adriatic JH,  Battaglia Green, Burgan UNK, CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Offline swmofigger

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 05:40:07 PM »
Being in zone 6b a fast grower is what I look for. If it sets figs early and ripens large fruit before frost it is a winner for me. I was disappointed with my Celeste this year because it was loaded with fruit when the first frost hit. A tree full of fruit is no good to me if it ends up frozen before it ripens.
But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 07:44:35 PM »
Being in zone 6b a fast grower is what I look for. If it sets figs early and ripens large fruit before frost it is a winner for me. I was disappointed with my Celeste this year because it was loaded with fruit when the first frost hit. A tree full of fruit is no good to me if it ends up frozen before it ripens.

Yes, that 10 degree weather we had in October was a bummer.  Very atypical and I can only imagine how you felt as the anticipation of ripe figs was gone in one fluke early cold snap.  I'm not sure what to do about the crazy weather in the 417 SoMo,  but if I figure it out, i'll let you know.  I'm trying to save for a hoophouse for such events.
WL: anything unique or heirloom; Louisiana Swamp Fig; EXP 24 Fig; JDs LSU Red; Jolly Tiger; JDs Golden Celeste; Giant Brown Turkey; Osborn Prolific; BB-10; Smith; Calderona; JDs Unk Italian

Non-fig WL: cold hardy asian pear trees; heirloom apple trees; willow trees; jujube trees; plum trees; peach

Offline swmofigger

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 08:52:16 PM »
Yes, we have had some erratic weather. The worst were the late frosts that destroy peach crops etc. One year a late frost actually killed off almost all of my iris flowers and even froze some oak leaves. I have considered a greenhouse or just growing above ground and doing the fig shuffle.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 09:27:59 PM »
I'll probably be doing the fig shuffle the first couple years myself.  Might see how some do planted on a south facing wall. 

Although, I like your post about the Japanese fig farm. I might try training some horizontal and low to the ground so I can just cover heavily with mulch or do a makeshift low tunnel.  It's better than them dying back each year and starting over with just roots.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:31:56 PM by swieneck »

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 08:45:44 PM »
That is a variety to have in my collection.
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, CDD Blanc, CDD Noir, CDD Rimada, Thermalito, White Madeira, Black Madeira dwarf, Lebanese Red, Golden Celeste, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Figs. Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese, Improved Celeste.

Offline stealthmayhem

• Future Fig Forest Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 09:22:13 PM »
I'll probably be doing the fig shuffle the first couple years myself.  Might see how some do planted on a south facing wall. 

Although, I like your post about the Japanese fig farm. I might try training some horizontal and low to the ground so I can just cover heavily with mulch or do a makeshift low tunnel.  It's better than them dying back each year and starting over with just roots.

I might have to look into this when I get my new house.  Currently I am limited to growing in containers, so when I get some land I will be able to experiment some more.
Wishlist : ALL of the Figs!~
Seriously:  CdDR, CdDG, Figo Preto, Black Ischia, All of the LSU Releases - Official or not,  Raspberry Latte, LdA, Sultane, Florea, Improved Celeste, White Marseilles, Peter's Honey, CdDN, Bronx White, Golden Celeste, MBVS, Shasta Peach

Offline swmofigger

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 08:40:35 PM »
I agree that starting with just roots is discouraging. I want to see if my well protected Celeste and Chicago Hardy adapt somewhat to my climate. Since it was so vigorous this year the Celeste may surprise me. Time will tell and I will continue adding varieties and experimenting.

Offline TXFIG

• Welcome !!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 09:48:18 PM »
Thanks for the video nice info

I will have to add this to my list as a must have also

thanks again
Italian 258, LSU Red, LSU Scott's Black, Socorro Blk, Turca, Italian Blk, Blk Ischia, *JD's Giant  Negra, Smith, Sangue, Coll De Dama Rimada,  Ischia Black.                             
WL: Muscadine Grapes, Tree Collard

WL: Varg Ban, mango, grapes, blackberry